MBB Game 28 - @ Towson - 2/18/15

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

MBB Game 28 - @ Towson - 2/18/15

Post by Jojogunne »

Towson's five CAA victories have come against Charleston, Elon and us. After beating Drexel by 24 we should win this one, right?
cactus
Site Admin

Re: MBB Game 28 - @ Towson - 2/18/15

Post by cactus »

they were out rebounded 41-23 last time. they'll need to fix that if they want to win.
Cards

Post by Cards »

I have given up even attempting to predict results of games. Should HU beat Towson.....probably, but I will not make a prediction with a high degree of confidence. I think we could go 4-0 the rest of the regular season.....we could also go 1-3.

I'm bringing some friends to the W&M game. I took advantage of the free tickets for season ticket holders - great promotion, great deal. got the two seats right next to the two premium season ticket seats I already have.
Polito

Post by Polito »

As we are seeing, this conf is def wide open - it really is anyone's for the taking - I don't think HU is the best team in the conf at this point, BUT the conf tourney is ALL about the matchups

If HU gets favorable opponents, anything can happen - clearly the 'top dogs' have matchup problems of their own and could easily be upset early - there really is no clear cut favorite - and with the changes HU seems to be making, they could make a run

will be interesting to see if the adjustments and intensity continue against a not so good matchup with Towson
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

HU opens 4 point faves
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://www.towsontigers.com/news/2015/2 ... 55125.aspx is Towson's preview.
http://www.towsontigers.com/documents/2 ... _Notes.pdf is Towson's Game Notes.

Four McGlynn leads Towson in assists with only 1.6 per game. He ranks 957th in assists and there are 351 teams.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

I smell redemption in Towson tonight. They're really not a bad matchup for us, we just came out very flat at home. This is a crucial game for us, we can still easily finish top two or three considering we still have games with W&M and JMU.

I like that we've become less reliant on the 3 ball the past few games, it makes us dynamic, but I think we start shooting again tonight. Feeling a big night for Bernardi.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Also for what it's worth, when Towson played us at home, it was the game that the CAA was there for on campus coverage. CAA home teams are now 0-8 when the crew is there for coverage, so there's a major jinx going on there.

Obviously the loss was entirely on us and our inability to keep a halftime lead, but it's still bizarre that no team can seem to win with conference employees on campus.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

There hasn't been home court advantage in CAA games this season. Home teams and road teams have 35 wins each.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:http://www.towsontigers.com/news/2015/2 ... 55125.aspx is Towson's preview.
http://www.towsontigers.com/documents/2 ... _Notes.pdf is Towson's Game Notes.

Four McGlynn leads Towson in assists with only 1.6 per game. He ranks 957th in assists and there are 351 teams.
Ha! Interesting stat! Not sure I had ever seen such low assist averages lead a team before.

Eddie Keith II also has 1.6 assists per game for Towson, in 17.5 minutes per game (11 fewer than McGlynn). They each had four apiece in their win over HU in Hempstead last month.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:There hasn't been home court advantage in CAA games this season. Home teams and road teams have 35 wins each.
That's another interesting stat (you're on fire today!). That could make for the most wide open CAA tourney we've seen yet.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote:Also for what it's worth, when Towson played us at home, it was the game that the CAA was there for on campus coverage. CAA home teams are now 0-8 when the crew is there for coverage, so there's a major jinx going on there.

Obviously the loss was entirely on us and our inability to keep a halftime lead, but it's still bizarre that no team can seem to win with conference employees on campus.
Hate to say it a third time in a row, but THIS is an interesting stat too. 0-8? What are the odds it would work out that way?! Is the CAA covering at Towson tonight?
Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote: I smell redemption in Towson tonight. They're really not a bad matchup for us, we just came out very flat at home.
I agree. HU is the better team and should not get swept by Towson. And for whatever reason (I think it's because HU relaxes too much in Hempstead), HU has played much better on the road than at home and Towson has struggled at home. This one has all the signs of a payback game.
Flying Dutchmen wrote: Feeling a big night for Bernardi.
I'm thinking the same for Tanksley off of a couple of 9-point games in which he took a combined 13 shots (6 in one, 7 in the other). I think he shoots a little more and gets back up around 20 pts again, but hopefully like in a balanced way, in which a bunch of guys are still involved, in the way HU played last game.

Bernardi is so streaky. He was 0-for-4 (all from 3) against Towson, so he owes them tonight. He bounced back the next game, going 5-for-11 (4-for-9 from 3) at Delaware, but since then: 4-for-20 (1-for-11 from 3) over the past three games, even though HU won two of those (by 11 and 24). He is overdue to get it going again.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Wags wrote: Hate to say it a third time in a row, but THIS is an interesting stat too. 0-8? What are the odds it would work out that way?! Is the CAA covering at Towson tonight?
I don't think they're at Towson tonight, since it seems like they've been taking weekend trips. This is a tweet from a CAA TV guy about the record. https://twitter.com/_AlexHSouza_/status ... 3282854912
The 7th and 8th loss came this weekend at Elon, and it looked like the women were going to break the trend and beat the Hofstra women, but we overcame a double-digit deficit and won.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The game should have started, but http://portal.stretchinternet.com/towso ... Type=video which is supposed to have video says "Please Wait…" and http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=68024 which has statistics says the game hasn't started. WRHU says that they played 6 seconds and then had a problem with the scoreboard.

Hofstra is starting Green, Tanksley, Bernardi, Robinson, and Kone.
Towson is starting Byron Hawkins (guard), Walter Foster (forward), Timajh Parker-Rivera (forward), Mike Morsell (guard), and Eddie Keith II (guard).

http://www.caasports.com/custompages/st ... m#team.ind has Hofstra's statistics.
http://www.caasports.com/custompages/st ... m#team.ind has Towson's statistics.

At 8:14 they resumed.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

I'm not sure what's worse right now, Towson's announcers who can't pronounce the last names of half of our players, or the quality of their video feed.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Nice to know we didn't come to play today. They have to be shooting 80% on us right now.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Apparently defense is optional this game. Doesn't help that the refs are whistling everything though.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Flying Dutchmen wrote: Nice to know we didn't come to play today. They have to be shooting 80% on us right now.
Towson is now at 71.4%, more than double what Hofstra is. Green doesn't have an assist yet.