MBB: Midyear Review

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

MBB: Midyear Review

Post by Jojogunne »

With our out-of-conference schedule over and league play about to begin, what thoughts do you have about the team so far? Do we have what it takes to get to either the NCAAs or NIT?
stuball888

Re: MBB: Midyear Review

Post by stuball888 »

I will give my midterm report when I have some more time tonight.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Well, this team has no problem dominating 300+ RPI opponents. Against equal competition or better, we need to see more and we need to see it at full strength. The only 2 games I had a problem with were obviously the USF game which was a meltdown of epic proportions and the Columbia game which was a winnable game.

We would need to jump 100+ spots in RPI to have a chance at the NIT. Not sure a 12-6 record in CAA play would get us there, maybe 14-4 or better, but in that case I would think we would finish 1st and clinch the auto bid for NIT instead. But this team has a real chance to win the conference. They have 2 months to play together as a full team, and I'm hoping by March 1, we will be firing on all cylinders. I'm just hoping to avoid a slow start, as the first 4 of 5 conference games are on the road. I think we'll get a feel for this team in conference play rather quickly. But I'm excited and confident in this team. Nobody in this conference scares me.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Ovsral it would be an A-. In the ACatergory would be Green, Tanksley, Bernardi and Neismith. Even with diminished minutes I give Robinson an A too. Nicolas gets a B+ too many fouls that takes him out of the games. Kone gets an Inc due to lack of games and injury as does Gustys who will probably be in the B+ category. gonzo and walker are Bs. Coaching staff is A-.
Cards

Post by Cards »

This is a tough one, but I think I would go with a B+. The record reflects a resounding turnaround from the last few years. Being solidly in the win column shows the successful impact that JAM (and the univ committment) has already had. Nothing beats winning and the program is certainly on the right track. Staying on this track will only serve to bring more recognition and fans to the program.

The B+ rating is below some rating of others because I have tempered it given the level of competition we have played. Don't get me wrong, I know everyone wants W's and I am OK with that, but we have to be realistic. To date, our SOS has been weak. In time, and in coming seasons I beleive this will improve - as I stated above, we are on the right track. Also note that I beleive as a winning culture is reinstated we will continue to see the quality of our recruits rise. This phenomena is already in progress (primarily as a result of JAM and coaches, and the univ committment). A solid winning record this season and postseason games (hopefully) will support this. Case in point, look at what VCU did over the years. there committment and winning culture has turned that program into a national powerhouse - the talent level of thier recuits is off the charts. I dont think HU is amining that high right now, but its a good model to follow.

For the players:
Green (A-) solid performer, great ball controller, few turnovers, gets to the foul line late in games and then converts. Grade would be higher if he stepped up in our bigger games. I thought he would be our hands down go-to guy, but he has yet to show that.
Tanksley (A+) - A real surprise that he is such a positive force on the court. Rates high with all aspects of shooting, attacking the basket, hitting the boards, etc. Great start.
Nesmith (A-) - He has been solid and reliable. No one plays harder than he, he shoots with success (at about the expected level) attacks the basket, good defender. Coming off the bench he usually improves the team we have on teh court (as JAM has said of him several times).
Beranrdi (B) - As much as I love watching the smooth 3-point jumpers (and high shooting percentage) I am slightly dissappointed with his ability to go to the hoop and handle the ball. As a guard, I had hoped his skill set would be more than just shooting. The last few games he has taken it to the hoop some more - which is good to see.
Nichols (B-) On the positive side, he really stepped up when the bigs were injured and helped out on the boards. But overall, he seems to make poor decisions on the court, committs too many fouls, and has not really shown any ability to knock down jumpers. He's a slasher and plays with intensity, but if he does not broaden his skill set, I think his role will decrease later this year and certainly next year.
Robinson (B+) He has given us sbout what we expected. He is not a great shooter, ball handler, or rebounder - that being said, he is a solid second year player and does contribute in all areas. He is the consumate team player who gives you everything he has but will not likely be one of your top players.
Kone (??) Cant rate him. I give him a pass coming back from injury. Normally a high energy guy who I believe when healthy and in game shape will contribute, but his minutes will be limited by emergence of other bigs. When healthy and on his game, he is a guy I want on my team.
Gustys - Freshman rating (B+) Hampered by injury, but when healthy this guy has impacted outcome of our games. Look at the rebounds he gets given the minutes per game he plays - he has the nose for getting the ball off the glass. He's big and wide and he has a presence. Offensively, his "freshmenitis" is showing. He looks nervous and seems to rush all hit shots. Misses shots he should be hitting at 75% conversion level. I think this will chage over time. Maybe this is a stretch, but I see him in a few years as a guy similar to Jamal Varney from Stony Brook (maybe not as good a soft shooter but a beast in all other game aspects).
Gonzalez - Freshamn rating (B) - has played good and bad, but not alot of playing time. Some ball handling looks great, and then other times he dribbles into trouble or throws the ball away. Simply lack of playing time - I beleive this could easily change.
Walker - Freshman rating (B) - not real consitent, but he usually makes an impact when he comes in. Great shot blocking and adequate rebounding. Needs to show more offensively (even though I think this is under coaches control - meaning when Walker comes in, he is doing what the coach has told him to do (which is not score points).

Coaching staff (A-) - all in all, they have done a good job with the program and team. We are winning, we are getting higher level committs and recruiting higher level players, hard to know but I think we are getting higher character student athletes. There is more communication with fans, media,a nd the general public.

As far as post season;
Clearly we can only get to NCAAs if we win CAA. I think we all can see that happening as we are one of the upper tier teams of the conference. Simply have to play well and get some breaks in the CAA championships.
If we lose in the CAA cahmpionships we still could get an NIT bid. Currently we are 10-4. If we play up to our potential, we could post at 20+ win season. That may or may not be enough - we shall see. (I have always maintained that we will win between 18 - 22 games this year [as have some others on this board] - At this juncture, I think it would take a colossal folding of this team to NOT reach that win total)!

That's it - hopes this was not tooooooo verbose!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I wouldn't give Green an A- because he doesn't shoot well enough. He has a field goal percentage of .379 and has made .434 of his two-pointers and .268 of his three-pointers. His two-point percentage is .049 behind Bernardi and over .100 worse than Tanksley and Nesmith. His three-point percentage is over .100 worse than Bernardi, Tanksley, and Nesmith.
The Stony Brook player is named Jameel Warney, not Jamal Varney.