We're Number 1 In...

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

We're Number 1 In...

Post by EvanJ »

Three-Point Field Goal Percentage. Iona fell to .422 yesterday. Hofstra is at .425 which is higher than the previous two seasons' top teams.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... t/3-points
Dooku25

Re: We're Number 1 In...

Post by Dooku25 »

I don't recall a Hofstra player or team leading the nation in any statistical category prior to this year. I remember Speedy was 4th in the nation in scoring his SR year. But so far this year, we have led the nation at one time in 3 pt shooting, we have a player who leads the nation in free throws made, and now we lead the nation in road victories. That's very important. If we can win on the road, we can certainly win at a neutral site.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

John Irving led the nation in rebounding in 75-76 and just lost out by less than one tenth of a rebound in 76-77. Hofstra's two first NCAA tournament appearances.
Wags

Post by Wags »

I know this is a thread about where we were ranking nationally shooting the 3, but I wanted to point out that we rank at the top (or very close to it) within the CAA in three categories that could be very key to winning it all in Baltimore this year.

We know how well we can usually shoot and score, but these first two are a great sign defensively and the third one, a great sign all offensively and defensively (of course)...

FG% Defense:
#1 William & Mary - .400
#2 Hofstra - .404

3-pt FG% Defense
#1 Hofstra - .308
#2 Northeastern - .311

Turnover Margin
Only three teams in the CAA are on the plus side, and we lead this catergory by a wide margin over the next best team...
#1 Hofstra +2.53
#2 Elon +1.29
#3 Drexel (of all teams) +0.33
#10 Northeastern (surprisingly last) -4.31

Given the respective records, season expectations & turnover margins for Drexel and Northeastern, it suggests that this last category might night be all that important, but I think it will still prove to be, especially if continue to be the best in the league at it.

Keep an eye on where we rank in those three categories for the rest of the regular season. They could be very telling of how far we go this year. So far, so good!