Legends Jay Hernandez and 'Stormin' Norman Teaming Up!

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Legends Jay Hernandez and 'Stormin' Norman Teaming Up!

Post by Polito »

Aaahhhhhh, my DREAM staff right here - love this, hope they crush it!

https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/1 ... 3883672576

I have a lot of love for the current HU staff, so I'm not saying this for now, but one day, this would be my dream crew to take the reigns at HU. I'm really eager to see if they actually perform as a coaching staff with this opportunity as I think they would in my head lol :P

Knock em alive fellas!
Wags

Re: Legends Jay Hernandez and 'Stormin' Norman Teaming Up!

Post by Wags »

Awesome! Really cool to see these two coaching together!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Farrelly has a good chance to be here a long time.
Would be amazing to have a staff of Jay, Speedy, and Norman at Hofstra.
Hernandez has probably got his eye on a NBA job next.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Jason is an assistant coach with the Charlotte Hornets. Before that, he was on the staff of the Orlando Magic. This G League gig is a chance for him to get some head coaching experience. He will return to the Hornets after the G League season is over.

https://www.nba.com/hornets/hornets-ass ... gue-bubble
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote:Farrelly has a good chance to be here a long time.
I'm of course hoping that Joe comes back next year and HU can keep Farrelly and Speedy, but it's not out of the realm of possibility right now that a crazy set of circumstances could make Speedy HU's head coach next year.

Yesterday, Ray was referencing how Mihalich often told them "Next man up" when players had to miss games. He said the same with Farrelly stepping up for Joe and doing a good job.

If Hofstra wins today and tomorrow, Farrelly could be offered a head coaching job too good to refuse elsewhere, and if Mihalich still can't return, "Next man up" to be HU's HC could be Speedy. Could be Curtin, too, but we've talked about Speedy some day being the HC. I'd hate to see it happen that way because I want to see Joe healthy and on the bench again and Farrelly staying. But it's possible.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

If Joe comes back, Farrelly should go find a HC job somewhere else. We've missed Joe this season but MF has done a good job in his place. Tough season to be a first time HC, if he gets us back to the NCAA, I'd hope we see the interim tag removed.

LOVE to see Jay getting a shot in the G League. I think he would be a great NBA coach, unbelievable knowledge, great mentality. Good teachers get W's in the NBA, crazy amounts of talent that is underdeveloped because it is rushed, Jay could have a lot of success getting players to breakthrough.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:
I'm of course hoping that Joe comes back next year and HU can keep Farrelly and Speedy, but it's not out of the realm of possibility right now that a crazy set of circumstances could make Speedy HU's head coach next year.

Yesterday, Ray was referencing how Mihalich often told them "Next man up" when players had to miss games. He said the same with Farrelly stepping up for Joe and doing a good job.

If Hofstra wins today and tomorrow, Farrelly could be offered a head coaching job too good to refuse elsewhere, and if Mihalich still can't return, "Next man up" to be HU's HC could be Speedy. Could be Curtin, too, but we've talked about Speedy some day being the HC. I'd hate to see it happen that way because I want to see Joe healthy and on the bench again and Farrelly staying. But it's possible.
It's kind of funny, in retrospect, that when I said this, Speedy became the HC exactly a month later despite HU losing in the semis instead of the way I envisioned above.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Wags wrote:
Wags wrote:

It's kind of funny, in retrospect, that when I said this, Speedy became the HC exactly a month later despite HU losing in the semis instead of the way I envisioned above.
That was some foresight -

I am - again - a bit surprised that with the hiring of Speedy - especially with Speedy - that we are not prepared with parts of a staff already in place.

I would have figured at the interview - before hiring Speedy that the discussion was not had of "who are you going to be able to bring along with you". Because as a rookie coach - no HC experience - I would want to know that you have the right infrastructure of either guys that were here already (keeping Farrelly-not happening) ; a experienced out of work head coach (Pecora); a killer recuiter (Rhorssen) or a blast from the past (Norm)...just thought thatd be a given (and maybe it is and details are being worked on/out)
Wags

Post by Wags »

daHUPride wrote: That was some foresight -
Thanks, but not really, because I thought had Speedy getting hired was more likely had Hofstra won the CAA tourney and Farrelly subsequently left for a better job. Admittedly, once they lost, I thought they'd lean toward making Farrelly the HC anyway or bringing in someone from outside, though I thought Speedy was a third option in that case.
daHUPride wrote: I am - again - a bit surprised that with the hiring of Speedy - especially with Speedy - that we are not prepared with parts of a staff already in place.

I would have figured at the interview - before hiring Speedy that the discussion was not had of "who are you going to be able to bring along with you". Because as a rookie coach - no HC experience - I would want to know that you have the right infrastructure of either guys that were here already (keeping Farrelly-not happening) ; a experienced out of work head coach (Pecora); a killer recuiter (Rhorssen) or a blast from the past (Norm)...just thought thatd be a given (and maybe it is and details are being worked on/out)
I think we might be making too much of the support system needed and not giving Speedy enough credit for what he already knows, which is a big reason why I think he got the job. I think it's safe to assume he picked up some good knowledge playing for Larry Brown and Greg Popovich before later spending eight years working for Mihalich. Every good head coach begins as a rookie. You can't gain experience and grow until you're given that first opportunity.

And even with that, Speedy said on Thursday he wants to bring in vets with more experience who know more than he does. So, I wouldn't worry about this. From that standpoint, it'll work itself out fine. Like I've been saying, recruiting (later on with young guys and more immediately, with the transfer portal and maybe with JUCOs) is the key and Speedy might have an advantage on that over the other candidates he was competing against simply because of his unique pedigree eith Hofstra.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I think both sides of that coin are very valid. There is no question Speedy has been around some great of the game, and has no doubt built up a super knowledge bank. And I definitely agree that recruiting is everything, and he is a major impact on that front.

But there is also a very big difference between being a talented player and a being great coach. Just because you're know a lot it doesn't mean you can coach it. And he has not shown one bit of X and O or in-game coaching. So let's not discount that please. The support staff is a HUGE deal. And that's why Speedy himself has made it public that he needs to put together a staff of seasoned veterans - that's not because he knows it all, it's because even he knows he needs help. Of course every coach does, but for example a JM doesn't need the same thing.

Speedy absolutely needs coaching brainpower, and I don't see the issue in acknowledging that fact. But I do see great danger in ignoring it and pretending that a players career translates to a coaching profession. It does not.

The one thing that does translate though is his network - and that is where Speedy can really win. There is no question he can bring guys that very few others could at this level. And for that I am excited - that's where I agree with you that although it is a major thing, the concern can be tempered because this stud can bring in a few more!!