MBB Game 09 - @ Coppin State - 12/10/14, 7:30 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

MBB Game 09 - @ Coppin State - 12/10/14, 7:30 PM

Post by Jojogunne »

OK, here's a question for the "old timers" on this board: Which former Hofstra player transferred to Coppin State?
Cards

Re: MBB Game 09 - @ Coppin State - 12/10/14, 7:30 PM

Post by Cards »

WOW......did you see the OOC schedule theys guys play? I long for the day when our program can play and win with this type of schedule. Coppin plays Oregon, Illinois, Notre Dame, Univ of Denver, UConn, Michigan, Hofstra!!
Polito

Post by Polito »

hm, tough one for me Jojo, I'd def have to cheat!

their sched is wild for sure - and they''ll likely drop each and every one - CSU having a rough yr thus far, so doesn't really do much good if you're not able to capitalize on at least 1 upset - I think there's a happy medium - want to see 2-3 high major big name teams and then 3-4 quality mids, and then the rest need to help the win column - next yr HU should get opportunities on the sched to make national noise - a paradise jam champ will help - won't be as easy to sched after a strong yr, but need to take full advantage of the attention while you're program is up in order to keep it up (recruiting, attendance, etc)

I think HU matches up very well in this game - CSU has some Sr guys, but no real 'go-to' per say, so the scoring production seems to be spread from game to game; however, they can turn the ball over a lot, and that is a HUGE strength of HU's - I think they can make them pay dearly for that - the TO margin is one of the key elements to rise of this team IMO

not a tremendous amount of size to contend with, so I think our guys will perform well - think Nichols and of course Walker will be relied on to again hold their own - don't think they have anyone who can match up with Green or Tanksley - if those guys can create some havoc, and Bernardi can take advantage, create space to knock down some open looks, they can put up bunches of pts in a hurry in this game

go in and light up the scoreboard fellas - ROLL PRIDE
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Schools like Coppin schedule like that for the guarantees those games pay. It's the only way they can fund a Div One athletic program.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Polito wrote:hm, tough one for me Jojo, I'd def have to cheat!

their sched is wild for sure - and they''ll likely drop each and every one - CSU having a rough yr thus far, so doesn't really do much good if you're not able to capitalize on at least 1 upset - I think there's a happy medium - want to see 2-3 high major big name teams and then 3-4 quality mids, and then the rest need to help the win column - next yr HU should get opportunities on the sched to make national noise - a paradise jam champ will help - won't be as easy to sched after a strong yr, but need to take full advantage of the attention while you're program is up in order to keep it up (recruiting, attendance, etc)

I think HU matches up very well in this game - CSU has some Sr guys, but no real 'go-to' per say, so the scoring production seems to be spread from game to game; however, they can turn the ball over a lot, and that is a HUGE strength of HU's - I think they can make them pay dearly for that - the TO margin is one of the key elements to rise of this team IMO

not a tremendous amount of size to contend with, so I think our guys will perform well - think Nichols and of course Walker will be relied on to again hold their own - don't think they have anyone who can match up with Green or Tanksley - if those guys can create some havoc, and Bernardi can take advantage, create space to knock down some open looks, they can put up bunches of pts in a hurry in this game

go in and light up the scoreboard fellas - ROLL PRIDE
Here's a clue: he played for Jay Wright.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Jojo taking a wild guess. Anthony Johnson
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

For what it's worth, Norfolk State (who we beat by 14 without Kone and Gustys) just beat Coppin state 88-69.
Cards

Post by Cards »

anyone know if there is a video feed for this game? I can't seem to find anything.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

stuball888 wrote:Jojo taking a wild guess. Anthony Johnson
No ... here's another clue: He was from Philly.

C'mon, Zman. You know this guy.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Don't click this if you want the answer :)
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Well done, Cactus. Joe Brown came to Hofstra after leading all Philly HS players with an average of 30-35 ppg. Needless to say, he did not perform at that level in college, and transferred after two years.

Here is Hofstra's preview for tomorrow's game:

http://www.gohofstra.com/news/2014/12/8 ... 43516.aspx
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The preview says "Sterling Smith leads the Eagles with 4.4 rebounds per game" which is extremely low for a team leader.

Edit: I just went to http://www.caazone.com/boards/ which I visit but hardly anyone posts there and I got an error message.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Evan - I think the zone is officially dead. Probably not enough traffic to support the site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

interview with coach (also posted on facebook)

http://youtu.be/mmLPmR7iqxk
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://hbculivestats.com/coppin/mbball/xlive.htm will have statistics.

http://coppinstatesports.com/news/2014/ ... ath=mbball is Coppin State's preview. http://coppinstatesports.com/documents/ ... ofstra.pdf is Coppin State's Game Notes. http://coppinstatesports.com/documents/ ... menine.pdf is Hofstra's Game Notes. Coppin State occasionally plays Brandon St. Louis from Valley Stream, who has scored 4 points this season.
Polito

Post by Polito »

if the zone is in fact dead, or headed that way, those guys should be ashamed of how they handled the supposed 'upgrade' over the summer - the major delay and complete lack of information/updates completely destroyed a great thing

happy to have a new place to be, so thanks to you guys who put this together

will take any wins by any means all year long in the quest to break 20, win the CAA, and get back to the dance - BUT would like to see HU handle this foe by about 20-25 when it's all said and done - I'm looking for CSU to turn the ball over and for HU to make them pay
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

The team tweeted a picture after shoot-around today. That might be Moussa Kone next to Brian Bernardi. If it is, it's good news that he's practicing enough that it warrants being in a practice uniform. Hopefully even if he doesn't play tonight, that means he'll be back very soon. https://mobile.twitter.com/HofstraMBB/s ... 9031756801
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

That knee looks to be very heavily taped. Hopefully he is back full strength for La Salle. No need to rush him back too soon. Better they keep him out an extra game than having him back too early.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

After today, 10 day break for finals, so little sense to rush anyone back
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Coppin State is starting Lawrence Fejokwu (junior center), Arnold Fripp (senior forward from Brooklyn), Christian Kessee (sophomore guard), Taariq Cephas (senior guard), and Sterling Smith (junior guard). Hofstra is starting Mailk Nichols, Juan'ya Green, Ameen Tanksley, Brian Bernardi, and Andre Walker.

You can listen at http://portal.stretchinternet.com/hofst ... Type=audio and the statistics page I linked to in my previous page hasn't started working yet.

Edit: ESPN calls Fejokwu a center and Coppin State calls him a forward. Hofstra hasn't shot the ball well so far and trails 6-5.

Edit: Hofstra went up 19-8 by making three-pointers. Then Coppin State made a three-pointer to go down 19-11.

Edit: Coppin State committed their fourth foul quickly with 13:19 left in the first half. That's when the first media timeout was because there was continuous play. Unfortunately neither ESPN nor Coppin State has statistics during the game.

Edit: Hofstra leads 23-13 with 11:43 left in the first half. Our next opponent, Columbia, leads 25-23 at halftime at Number 1 Kentucky.

Edit: Coppin State's statistics started working. Hofstra has made 4 out of 6 three-pointers. Tanksley leads all scorers with 7. The rest of our points are 6 from Bernardi, 5 from Nesmith, 3 from Green, and 2 from Robinson. Hofstra allowed 2 free throws to cut the lead to 23-15.

Edit: Hofstra went up 32-15 and now leads 32-17 with 8:35 left in the first half. Gonzalez has played for Hofstra. Hofstra now leads 34-19 at a media timeout with 7:47 left in the first half. Both teams are in the bonus. The teams have 4 turnovers each but Hofstra has 8 points off turnovers and Coppin State has none.

Edit: Hofstra has made 10 out of 11 free throws.

Edit: Hofstra leads 39-21. Coppin State has used 12 players already. Hofstra has missed their last four or more three-pointers.

Edit: Hofstra leads 43-23 with 3:36 left in the first half.