UAB Will Cause Conf Changes, Get Ready

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

UAB Will Cause Conf Changes, Get Ready

Post by Polito »

With UAB dropping football, they are no longer eligible to remain in Conf USA which requires members to field the sport. I believe this will impact the CAA, as IMO JMU is a super fit to replace UAB in Conf USA

If that happens, my hope is W&M exits stage left (to Patriot perhaps, where they are a better fit) leaving 2 open spots - here are my picks in this hypothetical:

South team: LIBERTY U - to me they are a perfect fit for the CAA if there ever was one - to me they are the Christian version of HU lol - great facilities (I've been to both football and bball venues), they run a quality mid athletic program, and importantly to HU they would maintain presence in the fertile VA recruiting market - if I'm the CAA, I'm already on the phone with them

North team: I know some of you want SBU, and it's prob likely, but I personally do not - I maintain they offer nothing new to HU or the CAA - the rivalry games between the 2 are back on the schedules, relations are good, the Battle for LI is already in play and will continue with them in the AE, and they bring ZIP to the table in terms of new or key recruiting areas

I suppose I'd go for SUNY Albany, but I really don't think they bring much of what's needed either

Ideally I'd want a team from either NJ or New England - URI would be a great fit IMO but doubt they'd go for it

Any other thoughts on options outside of SBU or SUNY Albany? Legit ones that would be true fits, similar size, offerings, quality, $ etc.. ??
stuball888

Re: UAB Will Cause Conf Changes, Get Ready

Post by stuball888 »

Polito I dont know if W&M is leaving that quickly. JMU already has one foot out the door. They are football driven. Liberty from the south is OK as you will now see the Pride against the Flames. Insert your own joke. The north will probably be between SBU and Albany. I know Fairfield was thrown in but they bring less overall than SBU and Albany. Could you also see Sacred Heart.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote: Any other thoughts on options outside of SBU or SUNY Albany? Legit ones that would be true fits, similar size, offerings, quality, $ etc.. ??
What about Iona? In the five seasons before this one they had an RPI in the Top 104 every time with an average of 74th. Three seasons ago they got an at-large bid but lost in the First Four. Last season they lost their last two games by 3 in the MAAC Final and by 1 in the NIT First Round.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

I like Iona. I also for some reason like Robert Morris as a fit for this conference.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Iona will never go to the CAA and the CAA would never want them. First of all, any school that comes in MUST play football if they are to replace JMU, who by the way, good riddance! Second, Iona does not. Support other programs important to the CAA like lacrosse. On the Iona side of the ledger they are happy where they are in a basketball conference with schools local and CAtholic.

Guys how about REALLY thinking outside the box....FORDHAM.....good football, bringa NYC into the CAA and they cannot sustain membership in the A-10. In my opinion they either go Patriot or come into the CAA...welcome back Tommy! At least for a short time!
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

I agree with you HUSID80, Fordham should be a strong consideration for the CAA. The A10 was the correct choice for Fordham, but it backfired and never panned out. Without a doubt they will be exiting the A10 in the near future. Question is, can our stock rise fast enough to swap spots with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I disagree completely on wanting William & Mary to leave since they are a rock solid academic school wityh a recognizable name that helps the reputation of the conference a ton. No comparison between William & Mary and Liberty, who would not be a fit at all academically or brand-wise. If they were to add another southern team with football I would want Furman or Wofford. In the north I'd want either Stony Brook, Alnany or Fordham with Fordham being my top choice because of their academics. Fairfield would also be solid. A lot of this is speculation of course but should be interesting to follow. Another possibility is Conference USA taking UMass and JMU still staying FCS.
Polito wrote:With UAB dropping football, they are no longer eligible to remain in Conf USA which requires members to field the sport. I believe this will impact the CAA, as IMO JMU is a super fit to replace UAB in Conf USA

If that happens, my hope is W&M exits stage left (to Patriot perhaps, where they are a better fit) leaving 2 open spots - here are my picks in this hypothetical:

South team: LIBERTY U - to me they are a perfect fit for the CAA if there ever was one - to me they are the Christian version of HU lol - great facilities (I've been to both football and bball venues), they run a quality mid athletic program, and importantly to HU they would maintain presence in the fertile VA recruiting market - if I'm the CAA, I'm already on the phone with them

North team: I know some of you want SBU, and it's prob likely, but I personally do not - I maintain they offer nothing new to HU or the CAA - the rivalry games between the 2 are back on the schedules, relations are good, the Battle for LI is already in play and will continue with them in the AE, and they bring ZIP to the table in terms of new or key recruiting areas

I suppose I'd go for SUNY Albany, but I really don't think they bring much of what's needed either

Ideally I'd want a team from either NJ or New England - URI would be a great fit IMO but doubt they'd go for it

Any other thoughts on options outside of SBU or SUNY Albany? Legit ones that would be true fits, similar size, offerings, quality, $ etc.. ??
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

UMass football is too much of a question mark for any decent conference to want to take them on right now.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

You are probably right about UMass Hofstrahockey but it seems of they want to be FBS Conference USA is logical landing spot. If not then why bother?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Oh no, I think that UMass would definitely WANT to be a member. But if I were CUSA, why would I take them over some other options?
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I'd certainly have concerns too given that they play in an NFL stadium 90 miles from campus. My point was that from a UMass perspective, if you can't get into Conference USA when there is an opening then why bother being FBS?
Polito

Post by Polito »

purely from an HU view, don't see the value of W&M at all HP1- academically they are easily the best of anyone in the CAA (which just highlights they don't belong), but what exactly does that do? They have ZERO relevance in athletics outside of some football success (which does little for HU anyway) - I really haven't seen an any significant benefit of their 'rep' for HU or the CAA

they don't belong in the CAA anymore - they really should be part of the Patriot league, both athletically and academically, and I bet they would agree

disagree on Liberty, they're nearly a spitting image of HU except of course for the religious affiliation - about the same size, they have a strong mid major athletic program, great facilities, commitment to athletics, and pretty sure academics are decent enough - and would maintain presence in the LOADED talent area of VA

I do like some of your other options - I'd take Furman over Wofford if had to choose, seems better fit for CAA profile overall (though Wofford bball head and shoulders above) - good southern tie for athletes - would like Fordham but doubt they'll go for it due to the private-Catholic affiliation with others in the A10 - also feel like URI and UMass won't leave each other, but could be wrong

Like your thought of Fairfield, seems like they could be a very good fit for the CAA, strong athletics and academics and I like the CT footprint - I'd also potentially throw in Quinnipiac - similar benefits as Fairfield, solid athletic dept, commitment to it, good academics, good size

basically, I want schools other than Albany and SBU - just don't see the benefit to HU or the CAA - a bit self-serving, but quite frankly, HU needs to be concerned about HU at this point, because it's clear from past no one else will be.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I think from a Hofstra perspective it is beneficial to have a school like William & Mary in there since it helps overall academic profile of the conference. While they still have not won a CAA men's basketball title, they came ultra close last year and have excelled in many other sports like soccer and baseball. While Patriot League would certainly be fit for them, I have a feeling they might decide to stay in CAA even if JMU leaves because of recent additions of Elon and College of Charleston. In Patriot League they would be by far the most southern team, with closest school being American. I think eventually they may end up there but don't think it will happen immediately.

Polito wrote:purely from an HU view, don't see the value of W&M at all HP1- academically they are easily the best of anyone in the CAA (which just highlights they don't belong), but what exactly does that do? They have ZERO relevance in athletics outside of some football success (which does little for HU anyway) - I really haven't seen an any significant benefit of their 'rep' for HU or the CAA

they don't belong in the CAA anymore - they really should be part of the Patriot league, both athletically and academically, and I bet they would agree

disagree on Liberty, they're nearly a spitting image of HU except of course for the religious affiliation - about the same size, they have a strong mid major athletic program, great facilities, commitment to athletics, and pretty sure academics are decent enough - and would maintain presence in the LOADED talent area of VA

I do like some of your other options - I'd take Furman over Wofford if had to choose, seems better fit for CAA profile overall (though Wofford bball head and shoulders above) - good southern tie for athletes - would like Fordham but doubt they'll go for it due to the private-Catholic affiliation with others in the A10 - also feel like URI and UMass won't leave each other, but could be wrong

Like your thought of Fairfield, seems like they could be a very good fit for the CAA, strong athletics and academics and I like the CT footprint - I'd also potentially throw in Quinnipiac - similar benefits as Fairfield, solid athletic dept, commitment to it, good academics, good size

basically, I want schools other than Albany and SBU - just don't see the benefit to HU or the CAA - a bit self-serving, but quite frankly, HU needs to be concerned about HU at this point, because it's clear from past no one else will be.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

In the past W&M has had the opportunity to apply to the Patriot league but never made the move. I believe they are loyal to the CAA for now.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Anyone know where UAB is going to land?
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

stuball888 wrote:In the past W&M has had the opportunity to apply to the Patriot league but never made the move. I believe they are loyal to the CAA for now.
I agree Stu. Am not sure of JMU leaving would change that but Elon and College of Charleston along with an addition like Furman or Wofford to replace JMU might be enough to make them feel comfortable despite being the only Virginia school.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I think UAB is a very good fit to even out the American - if not that, then likely a conf like the Southern perhaps... but American seems like a great match to me

IMO JMU should be a near lock to fill their spot in Conf USA - they really are a perfect fit for that conf - others mentioned are Georgia State and Liberty (yep, considered good enough for CUSA and to me same for CAA) - JMU feels like the natural fit

still maintain that although I respect tremendously and appreciate W&M's academic rep, I don't think there's a single tangible $ benefit to HU from that - I couldn't give a rip about what it does for the CAA's academic rep - concern is centered squarely around HU - the CAA never gave a rip about HU, that lesson should have been learned - it's only by force did things finally change and the department is starting to flourish - the changes have made a HUGE positive difference to favor HU - and it wasn't because of the CAA admin, it was DESPITE them

nothing against W&M, if they stay, all good and I'll sleep just as well if they continue in the CAA - but just don't think this is the best place for them anymore, and I think the CAA can replace with a more appropriate fit - W&M's claim to basketball fame is being one of the last remaining programs to never make the dance - think about that and tell me there are not better fits - HU may not be Channing Tatum, but they've at least had a few dates before

Ideally I'd want one southern and one northern team if there were 2 spots to fill - and again, my focus is what can be of benefit to HU in terms of new and/or solid media markets, recruiting areas, quality of programs, attendance draws, etc.

I understand SBU offers a lot of these things, its just that HU (and SBU) will reap all these things even without them in the conf - the rivalry game played once a yr will provide every benefit, they don't need to be in the conf - they should stay in the AEast and the CAA should fill a spot with another program that can offer other new market/media/recruiting advantages
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Forget Channing Tatum, I want to be Leo DeCaprio right now!