LIU Athletics

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
The Shadow

LIU Athletics

Post by The Shadow »

So, the official new nickname for the combined Division 1 LIU Brooklyn and CW Post athletic teams are the Sharks. The team colors will be gold and blue. I already miss the old unique nicknames for some of the NY programs like the Blackbirds, Redmen, but most of all the HU Flying Dutchmen.
HofstraHockey

Re: LIU Athletics

Post by HofstraHockey »

Huh. I don't believe there was any program in DI with the Sharks nickname, and now there's two in one week (with Long Beach State changing their mascot).
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Is LIU/Post (not sure of the proper name) going to compete at the D 1 level in men's and women's lacrosse? If so, will they be in the NEC or somewhere else?
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

It's all LIU now- no more Brooklyn or Post. The former Post men's team will be moving up to DI and playing in the NEC. The former Brooklyn already had a women's team in the NEC- the players from Post can either try and make the Brooklyn team, transfer, or if they had a scholarship, keep it and finish school without playing.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Remember, LIU is splitting locations where the teams compete. Examples are basketball in Brooklyn and wrestling in Brookville. If you go to the LIU and CW Post sites, there is a complete list detailing which sport is at the two possible locations. This decision eliminates certain sports from each campus completely. For example, I do not believe that many LIU Brookville students would travel, in NYC traffic, to a weeknight basketball game in downtown Brooklyn. Where is the one AD going to be located? Do you have two separate cheer squads? Hey, I know this is not a real problem for an HU fan, but it is interesting how the old rivals in the Long Island college community have changed. I guess HU will now resume its lacrosse series with LIU.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Good point on the renewal of the Hofstra/Post (I mean LIU) lacrosse series if it happens.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Teams that will compete in Brooklyn are: Basketball (Men’s and Women’s), Bowling (Women’s), Fencing (Women’s), Ice Hockey (Women’s), Softball, Swimming (Women’s), Track & Field (Men’s and Women’s), Volleyball (Women’s), and Water Polo (Women’s).

Teams that will compete at Post are: Baseball, Cross Country (Men’s and Women’s), Equestrian, Field Hockey, Football, Golf (Men’s and Women’s), Lacrosse (Men’s and Women’s), Rowing (Women’s), Rugby (Women’s), Soccer (Men’s and Women’s), Tennis (Women’s), and Wrestling.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

That's 27 sports, which is 10 more than Hofstra has.

Football at Post will mean that Nassau County has Division I Football for the first time since Hofstra dropped it. I wonder if LIU and Stony Brook will play in Football. The NEC was ninth of thirteen FCS conferences in the 2018 Sagarin, so LIU will probably have a worse SOS than Stony Brook. If the other teams remain the same, the NEC will have eight Football teams, with two in the area (LIU and Wagner), two in Connecticut (Sacred Heart and Central Connecticut), one in Rhode Island (Bryant), and three in western Pennsylvania (St. Francis, Duquesne, and Robert Morris). Duquesne were the 2018 champion with a worse Sagarin than ten of twelve CAA teams.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Good for LIU. I like the new name and the idea to consolidate all sports into D-1, I think it's great for local college sports, they're an instant rival for us again.

Splitting where the team's play is going to be a little tough at first, and I would say they should all play on the Post campus, but their basketball facility in BK is new and contains all their tradition so I get it. Hopefully when we schedule them, they decide to play the game in Brookville.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Or at Barclays in a tournament setting
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:Good for LIU. I like the new name and the idea to consolidate all sports into D-1, I think it's great for local college sports, they're an instant rival for us again.

Splitting where the team's play is going to be a little tough at first, and I would say they should all play on the Post campus, but their basketball facility in BK is new and contains all their tradition so I get it. Hopefully when we schedule them, they decide to play the game in Brookville.
Is an odd setup- since can't imagine students on Brookville campus going to Brooklyn for games or vice versa for Brooklyn students going to Brookville for football and lacrosse games.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Agree no direct RR link to either campus
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HofstraPride1 wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote:Good for LIU. I like the new name and the idea to consolidate all sports into D-1, I think it's great for local college sports, they're an instant rival for us again.

Is an odd setup- since can't imagine students on Brookville campus going to Brooklyn for games or vice versa for Brooklyn students going to Brookville for football and lacrosse games.
Agree it'll be tough - I am sure they'll be offering students/fans transportation to respective arena/stadium to encourage attendance - but odd to say the least
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

stuball888 wrote:Agree no direct RR link to either campus
The Brooklyn campus is 3 blocks from Atlantic Terminal. And Post is closer to the Greenvale station than Hofstra is to the Hempstead one.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Word is their hockey games will be played at Aviator in Brooklyn. That's 30 min from campus on a good day. An hour or so at 3 in the afternoon.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To Hofstra Hockey, Isn't this a similar problem the NY Islanders fans faced at getting to and from Barclay's Center? I looked up the current Saturday LIRR schedules for Greenvale to Brooklyn and back. It is not an easy commute because some of the weekend trains are scheduled about every two hours,
with a trip duration of up to 1 hour 15 minutes. This does not include the travel time to and from the stations. You would easily spend about 2 1/2 to 3 hours commuting between the two campuses. Add on about 2 hours for a basketball game, or about 3 hours for a football game, and that is quite the time commitment for most college students. If a game ran late or went into overtime, you would have the decision to stay and make the next train in 2 hours or leave early. I also find it difficult to believe that many students would make this choice on a cold winter night. There is also the added cost factor of the LIRR train tickets. Having a direct bus seems to be the best option, but even that could have traffic difficulties. Once again, I realize this is not a problem for the HU fans, but it does bring up how we think about other problems for local colleges.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

I have to imagine there will be a constant bus running between the two campuses, as students can take classes at both. And who knows, maybe they'll run a fan bus to the games.

But the issue isn't so much the fans as it is the athletes, who practice 6 days a week and have to spend an hour+ traveling to the rink
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Well, my information was very wrong. Not only will they be playing on Long Island, they'll be splitting their games between Iceworks in Syosset and Northwell in East Meadow (where Hofstra plays).

But the oddest part is that they will be playing a lot of ganes on Fridays at 3:00 in Syosset, and then the next night at Eisenhower. Basically takes away your home ice advantage.

https://liuathletics.com/news/2019/6/13 ... 19-20.aspx
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Looks like they figured out how to get the teams back and forth. Spotted on the LIE.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

FCS went up from 11 to 12 games, but LIU will play 10 games with only 3 at home. Stony Brook will play 12 games with 7 at home. The Northeast Conference has eight Football teams, and LIU has 2 conference games at home and 5 away. Out of conference they start at South Dakota State (who led at Minnesota last night until there was 5:39 left) and end with two out of conference games at Villanova and hosting non-Division I Merrimack.