New teams in the CAA

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

New teams in the CAA

Post by stuball888 »

After the first few weeks of the CAA schedule I want to give my opinion of the new teams in the league while Stony Brook and Monmouth I believe will contribute to the CAA I have my doubts about Hampton and North Carolina A&T
Hampton has been an absolute disaster let’s take a look at the two games in women’s soccer Hofstra beats Hampton 8-0 out shooting and 32 to one next Stony Brook beat them 12 to nothing out shooting them 28 to nothing so in two games they haven’t even had a shot on goal Now while Hofstra and Stony Brook have decent women’s soccer teams they are not at the top of the division as a UNCW Elon and William and Mary are stronger teams what will those scores be NC a and T also in volleyball is 0-4
Hampton team in for football and Delaware just thrashed them 35-3
Hampton also has some financial difficulties first of all they do not have an SID I was also told that the team played us in soccer on Thursday and instead of staying over on Long Island to play Stony Brook on Saturday they actually took a bus back to Virginia and travel back again my understanding is they couldn’t afford to put the team up in a hotel for a few days my question here is what did the commissioner of the CAA do as far as vetting Hampton if this school could not afford to put the teams up for travel that does not have an SID why bring them into the conference to begin with your opinions please
HofstraPride1

Re: New teams in the CAA

Post by HofstraPride1 »

stuball888 wrote:After the first few weeks of the CAA schedule I want to give my opinion of the new teams in the league while Stony Brook and Monmouth I believe will contribute to the CAA I have my doubts about Hampton and North Carolina A&T
Hampton has been an absolute disaster let’s take a look at the two games in women’s soccer Hofstra beats Hampton 8-0 out shooting and 32 to one next Stony Brook beat them 12 to nothing out shooting them 28 to nothing so in two games they haven’t even had a shot on goal Now while Hofstra and Stony Brook have decent women’s soccer teams they are not at the top of the division as a UNCW Elon and William and Mary are stronger teams what will those scores be NC a and T also in volleyball is 0-4
Hampton team in for football and Delaware just thrashed them 35-3
Hampton also has some financial difficulties first of all they do not have an SID I was also told that the team played us in soccer on Thursday and instead of staying over on Long Island to play Stony Brook on Saturday they actually took a bus back to Virginia and travel back again my understanding is they couldn’t afford to put the team up in a hotel for a few days my question here is what did the commissioner of the CAA do as far as vetting Hampton if this school could not afford to put the teams up for travel that does not have an SID why bring them into the conference to begin with your opinions please
The 8-0 score could have easily been 18-0 had Simon not taken out most of his starters early. If true about travel it is beyond a travesty to put student athletes through that kind of travel all to same a few bucks. If they don’t have financial resources for hotel rooms for three nights they shouldn’t be in CAA. On the field I would hope they would in time improve their recruiting being in CAA with perhaps some international players. Very different sports, but NC A&T volleyball by comparison has a big international roster and they equipped themselves fairly well against Hofstra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

You all know how I feel about this expansion, but those 2 additions in particular are especially poor. Others I would have preferred for sure.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

When somebody posts about how poor Hampton or another school, I link to https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... id=3221302 from 2008, and the differences between the haves and have-nots is greater now. It is about Alcorn State, which is an HBCU known for producing quarterback Steve McNair. Many HBCUs get paid to travel far and do not play a nonconference game at home or only host non-Division I teams. Pro sports have salary caps and in MLB's case revenue sharing and a luxury tax, but it is college sports that has bigger financial differences between rich and poor. Pro athletes have players' associations that give them certain rights. In college sports the athletes on rich schools want to profit from playing well, and the athletes on poor schools want better travel, facilities, and food. In an average year, I wonder what the lowest budget is for a Division I school and how it compares to the highest individual donation to a school's athletics whether it is for athletics in general or one sport, but not for academics.

Southern fans would have been mad if the CAA added Stony Brook and Monmouth without adding southern teams, and some UNCW fans are mad even with two southern teams added. The team not in the CAA who CAA fans want the most might be UNC Greensboro, but they are better off in the Southern Conference.