MBB Game 3: vs. North Carolina A&T (Wed 11/14)

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

MBB Game 3: vs. North Carolina A&T (Wed 11/14)

Post by Wags »

Besides this game itself, what NC A&T does before and after this game relative to what Hofstra does against the same teams might be somewhat of a measuring stick to see where Hofstra is early in the season because the Aggies play three of the same teams this month that Hofstra played/will play this month (in theory, Hofstra should handle NC A&T, out of the MEAC, fairly easily, but should also do better against the same teams NC A&T is playing - though, of course, we know it doesn't always work that way - still, it might be interesting to keep tabs and compare).

NC A&T schedule:
Mon 11/12 at Maryland
Wed 11/14 at Hofstra
Mon 11/19 at Marshall
Wed 11/21 at Mount St. Mary's

Hofstra schedule:
Fri 11/9 vs. Mount St. Mary's (W, 79-61)
Sun 11/11 at Marshall (L, 76-72)
Wed 11/14 vs. NC A&T
Fri 11/16 at Maryland
stuball888

Re: MBB Game 3: vs. North Carolina A&T (Wed 11/14)

Post by stuball888 »

On a side note one of the players on NC A&T is Terry Harris from Half Hollow HIlls. Yes that Harris family. His older brother Tobias of NBA fame and his middle brother Tyler from Nc State and Providence. Just out of couriosity I looked to see if he transferred over to NC A&T and yes of course. The only way to describe his overbearing and controlling father is he is "Levar Ball light". His sister Thesea Harris was on Delaware but the father could not stand that she would not be starring so he made her transfer to St Johns. She could have played three years with Elena della Donne but instead rode the pine at St johns. Everyone in the family has T and H as their initials just like the Ball family all kids names start with L.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Maryland 82 NC A & T 59
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hofstra is favored by 16 1/2, so this is a no excuses, don't even let them hang around, go out and take care of business kind of game (especially off of the tough loss at Marshall).
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Wags wrote:Hofstra is favored by 16 1/2, so this is a no excuses, don't even let them hang around, go out and take care of business kind of game (especially off of the tough loss at Marshall).
Agree. Especially how we know we can start off - like the 1st half v Marshall!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Or the way we started off against Mount St Mary’s. We just have to focus
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://gohofstra.com/news/2018/11/11/m ... a-a-t.aspx is Hofstra's preview titled "MBB: Hofstra Set To Host North Carolina A&T."

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... 9game3.pdf is Hofstra's Game Notes. JWF is 2 points behind Leroy Allen and 4 points behind Frank Walker for tenth in career points. Norman Richardson is ninth with 240 more points than Walker, so JWF won't pass Richardson soon. If he scores 755 like he did last season, he will finish fifth with 2,134 behind Jenkins, Agudio, Nisenson, and Stokes. If Pemberton scores 476 like he did last season, he will ends the season fifteenth with 1,349, which would be the fifth most in Hofstra's time in the CAA behind Jenkins, Agudio, Stokes, and JWF. Apodaca scored 1,422 with two seasons in the America East and two in the CAA. Pemberton would be the thirteenth Hofstra player to score 1,000 in the CAA. With 910 now, he should reach 1,000 in out of conference play.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2018 ... ina-a.html is Jerry Beach's preview. He mistakenly said "Dan Dwyer led the Dutchmen in both rebounds (eight) and assists (two), which probably hasn’t happened too often." I commented:

"Dwyer didn't lead with 8 rebounds. Pemberton has 12. The last Hofstra player to lead in rebounds and assists was Gustys on January 27, 2018, when he had 13 rebounds and tied Ray with 3 assists."

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/hofs ... Type=video has video.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=237132 has statistics. Hofstra is starting their normal starters. North Carolina A&T is starting Quavius Copeland, Terry Harris, Ibrahim Sylla, Kameron Langley, and Aaren Edmead. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... /_/id/2448 has North Carolina A&T's statistics.

The only other CAA game today is Drexel hosting Division I Bryn Athyn at 7:00 P.M.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

EvanJ wrote:http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2018 ... ina-a.html is Jerry Beach's preview. He mistakenly said "Dan Dwyer led the Dutchmen in both rebounds (eight) and assists (two), which probably hasn’t happened too often." I commented:

"Dwyer didn't lead with 8 rebounds. Pemberton has 12. The last Hofstra player to lead in rebounds and assists was Gustys on January 27, 2018, when he had 13 rebounds and tied Ray with 3 assists."
Got emmmmmmmmmm
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra leads 8-6. North Carolina A&T had 5 our their 6 attempts be threes.

Edit: Hofstra went from up 15-10 to down 17-15. The announcers are saying "North Carolina" without "A&T." I wasn't watching the first minute when Hofstra called timeout, and they called timeout again with 11:15 left in the first half, so Hofstra has only 2 left. JWF and Buie have 4 and Pemberton has 3 including Hofstra's only three.
Wags

Post by Wags »

A little sloppy at the start - 4 TOs for each team. 17-15, HU.

Sitting next to an LA Clippers scout here to see JWF. Said, "You can't overlook those mid-majors."
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra was down 17-15. JWF and Pemberton sat together for 2:14. North Carolina A&T led by as much as 5 and lead 24-22 with Hofstra having the ball.

Edit: Hofstra leads 37-24 after a 17-0 run that took only 2:44.

Edit: North Carolina A&T scored to end the run and go down 37-26. Pemberton has only 3 points on 1-for-6 shooting, but with 3:55 left he got fouled in the act of shooting a three and will shoot free throws after the media timeout. JWF had a 4 point play as North Carolina A&T committed two fouls in the act of shooting threes.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra led by as much as 23 and covered the spread with a 92-72 win. Both teams shot well. Hofstra shot .537 field goals, .391 threes, and .893 free throws.
North Carolina A&T shot .520 field goals, .350 threes, and .867 free throws. In Hofstra's 425 games since 2005-2006, this was the second time Hofstra made at least 25 free throws with a percentage of .893 or higher. Hofstra made 25 out of 28 today and on November 21, 2016 against Bradley in the Gulf Coast Showcase. Both teams had 23 or fewer rebounds and at least 14 assists, which did not happen this season before today and happened seven times last season, none of which had CAA teams.

JWF scored 22 with only 9 field goal attempts. He made 6, including 2 threes, and all 8 free throws. After a slow start, Pemberton made 4 of his last 5 field goals and scored 19. Trueheart scored 14, which were all in the first half. Buie scored 12 and Taylor scored 11 to give all starters double-digits. The only subs to score were Ray with 9 and Dwyer with 5. JWF and Buie had 7 assists each as Hofstra had a whopping 20, and had only 1 more rebound than assist. Last season Hofstra averaged 35.6 rebounds and 13.3 assists. Wormley played 2 minutes in the first half and did not play in the last 29:01. Radovic, Schutte, and Klementowicz played the last minute, which was Radovic's season debut. Hofstra used 12 players, which was the first time they used 12 players since a 76-55 loss at Georgia State on February 25, 2009. It ended a 300 game streak of using 11 or fewer players.

Edit: It was the first time since at least 2010-2011 that two Hofstra players had at least 7 assists. Our 21 rebounds were our fewest since we had 17 in a 79-68 loss hosting Northeastern on February 12, 2015 and our fewest rebounds in a win since we had 19 in a 66-65 win hosting Stony Brook on November 21, 2014. I was away for that game but came home to see Nesmith's winner with 1.6 seconds left.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:Hofstra is favored by 16 1/2, so this is a no excuses, don't even let them hang around, go out and take care of business kind of game (especially off of the tough loss at Marshall).
This is exactly what this was - a take care of business win, not letting A&T hang around, covering that large spread. Give 'em credit for doing what they had to do.

Nice to see the good ratio of 20 assists on 29 made FGs with no one taking more than 11 shots. Good, selfless, efficient basketball offensively. Defense good enough.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Wags wrote:
This is exactly what this was - a take care of business win, not letting A&T hang around, covering that large spread. Give 'em credit for doing what they had to do.

Nice to see the good ratio of 20 assists on 29 made FGs with no one taking more than 11 shots. Good, selfless, efficient basketball offensively. Defense good enough.
I agree, for the third game out of four in a week, knowing we're ending at Maryland, tonight was appropriately business-like.

Our guard play is going to be awesome this year. Buie looks so good, his offensive ability has improved dramatically from the flashes we saw last year. I honestly think Pemba is the best player on the team. He has great awareness, he does all the little things right, he gets a bit overshadowed by JWF's ability to be a microwave scorer, but I like how Pemba has a great ability to fill in the team's need as a game goes along. I'm not knocking JWF either, he's playing like he's on a mission this year, and all three seem to have better chemistry together this year so far.

In the frontcourt, I think we're asking for too many minutes out of Dwyer, I think he's playing his ass off though, and I see why the coaches like him. Taylor looked better compared to the first game, but we may be asking too many minutes out of him too. I'd like to see more of Schutte, mainly because our grad seniors haven't played big minutes in their careers, probably for a reason. Hopefully he gets in the mix early against some of our weaker opponents, to see if he can provide anything this year in conference play. Trueheart's looking awesome, definitely built on the flashes he showed last year.

A&T played hard tonight, but our offense completely overmatched them, once we went on that run later in the first half, they could never bring it within double digits, it never felt close. That being said, we still let them get too many good looks on the offensive side of the ball. Maryland is going to punish us if we play that way on Friday night. Can't wait for the Maryland game though, I want to see how the '18-'19 In Guards We Trust match up against a power team.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
Our guard play is going to be awesome this year. Buie looks so good, his offensive ability has improved dramatically from the flashes we saw last year. I honestly think Pemba is the best player on the team. He has great awareness, he does all the little things right, he gets a bit overshadowed by JWF's ability to be a microwave scorer, but I like how Pemba has a great ability to fill in the team's need as a game goes along. I'm not knocking JWF either, he's playing like he's on a mission this year, and all three seem to have better chemistry together this year so far.

In the frontcourt, I think we're asking for too many minutes out of Dwyer, I think he's playing his ass off though, and I see why the coaches like him. Taylor looked better compared to the first game, but we may be asking too many minutes out of him too. I'd like to see more of Schutte, mainly because our grad seniors haven't played big minutes in their careers, probably for a reason. Hopefully he gets in the mix early against some of our weaker opponents, to see if he can provide anything this year in conference play. Trueheart's looking awesome, definitely built on the flashes he showed last year.
Completely agree on the guards. I am so impressed with what I've seen from Buie so far this season. His confidence level looks like it took a huge jump. Looks like a general on the floor.

As for the front court, its definitely a work in progress. Taylor/Dwyer/Trueheart don't look like they will be able to make up the boards we lost with Rok. Its been good to see Pemba help out a bit there. What i will say is a HUGE improvement so far is the FT shooting for the big men. I know Rok was well below average, but these guys look very comfortable at the line which could be a huge plus. They aren't bangers like Rok and Hunter, so I don't know if they will go to the line as much but it appears so far that is one improvement on this years team.

Also, even though Dwyer had 4 tonight, we haven't been in a lot of foul trouble in the three games. We haven't committed the ticky tac/undisciplined fouls much thus far. Hopefully that will continue.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Pride97 wrote: we still let them get too many good looks on the offensive side of the ball. Maryland is going to punish us if we play that way on Friday night. Can't wait for the Maryland game though, I want to see how the '18-'19 In Guards We Trust match up against a power team.
Mihalich acknowledged this during the postgame. He thought they defended well in the first half, not as well in the second half and specifically said Maryland would take advantage if they don't clean that up. A short time to work on that, but at least he saw it and said it, so I'm sure it'll be addressed, and we'll see how that goes on Friday.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Pride97 wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote:

Completely agree on the guards. I am so impressed with what I've seen from Buie so far this season. His confidence level looks like it took a huge jump. Looks like a general on the floor.

As for the front court, its definitely a work in progress. Taylor/Dwyer/Trueheart don't look like they will be able to make up the boards we lost with Rok. Its been good to see Pemba help out a bit there. What i will say is a HUGE improvement so far is the FT shooting for the big men. I know Rok was well below average, but these guys look very comfortable at the line which could be a huge plus. They aren't bangers like Rok and Hunter, so I don't know if they will go to the line as much but it appears so far that is one improvement on this years team.

Also, even though Dwyer had 4 tonight, we haven't been in a lot of foul trouble in the three games. We haven't committed the ticky tac/undisciplined fouls much thus far. Hopefully that will continue.

Add me to the list of those impressed with our guard play to date. Buie, as mentioned above, has been great - he looks stronger; plays confidentially through his (occasional miscues); his increased minutes are well deserved. Add me to the list high on Pemberton (and thinks he is our best player) - he is solid well round player; have no problem with taking his share of 3's but think he is so dominate when he goes to the hoop. JFW - it is hard for to say this, but I believe he has signifcantly improved his game - his body control going to the hoop is so impressive. But what has really impressed me with these "3 Wisemen" is the maturity they have displayed thus far - less negativite facial/body language, less complaining to the refs (they leaving that to JAM - LOL), playing together as one unit.

Our big 3. All in all I think we are much better this year with Truehart, Taylor and Dwyer. I was a big BIG fan of Guysts and Sabaty - their hustle and brute can't be denied. Taylor is more athletic and does more then RG - I can't stress it enough that being able to finish around the basket and being able to hit free-throws is essential to our success and certainly a benefit to guards and the excellent play they have had so far. Truehart - always liked him, think he is better when paired with Taylor allows him to play off the ball and be more of a help on D - he obviously showed last night he can step out and hit a 3. Dwyer is going to more support - a liability on D, can pass and nail a chippy or 2.

JAM - I miss half the game watching him work the refs.

Nice show from student section - need to get better.
Need more pep-band!!!
garyg

Post by garyg »

Disappointing crowd announced at only 1209....back to norm I guess