HU Mens Hoops Appreciation and Kudos Thread!

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

HU Mens Hoops Appreciation and Kudos Thread!

Post by Polito »

Yep, this is for real LOL and this one's for you coaches! :D

As tough as I am on this program, I am also a super fan full of love and appreciation for HU hoops! I desire greatness for this program, but also felt it is important to acknowledge the clear efforts, the true care, and another winning season with the honor once again to watch some incredible all-conf talent. Can/Should never take these years for granted!

So, prior to the CAAT, let's have some fun and give thanks!

Thank you to the staff for bleeding HU, and working your butts off to right this program and produce one that is expected to win!

Thank you to the players for repping HU to the fullest as high quality students and athletes, and for putting your heart and soul into this program this year!

And finally, a moment of gratitude for the teams HU is NOT lol - yes, HU can and should be better, but boy it's always good to remember things could be worse 8-) some perspective:

- The one-time perennial top 10 powerhouse PITT is 0-18 in the ACC. OUCH.
- Oklahoma with the national POY candidate and one of the few guys scoring more than JWF this year tanked - 7-10 in conf, 17-12 overall, likely won't even make the dance now :o
- Fordham and Rutgers are still the bottom of their conferences.
- Once a rock steady mid level program who I remember always being good, UNC-Charlotte is 1-16, 5-23.
- Iona is finally not at the top of the MAAC :D
- Chicago State: 0-13, 2-28 :shock:
- Tulane, where Rok almost ended up: 5-12, 14-15
- Georgetown, you all know my thoughts here with Govan: 5-12, 15-13 - dance-less again
- St Johns - next to last, 4-13, 15-15
- San Jose St and NW State: both are 1-16, 4-24
- And there are many others!

So, THANK YOU HU!! Now, it's GAME TIME fellas, you know what to do - give em hell down there, shock the conf, cut the nets, and bring back some champion hardware!
The Shadow

Re: HU Mens Hoops Appreciation and Kudos Thread!

Post by The Shadow »

To Polito, Great post, just an added line on no controversies (like Arizona, Louisville, etc.). AD Hathaway, Coach Joe, and all the HU Coaches should be commended on how HU is represented in athletics. They had to clean up a very bad situation from the prior coaches. I really believe that there was even more to that situation than we are aware of. If you go to HU for the full term of your scholarship, you leave with a degree. I believe that RG and HS already have one degree and are starting a second as is JA. This is quite an achievement. So a big Thank You to everyone at HU athletics for all the long hours and hard work that they put in. Go win the CAAT.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Agree on all of the above. Our frustrations during the year is because our expectations are high as it should be. The coaching staff as well as the team have grown during the year. I see a more animated Speedy on the sideline and that is what we have been waiting for. Nice to see Rok develop some nice inside moves.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito, well said and needed to be said.

Shadow, stuball: good points, too.

We've all given the program in one way or another some tough love, especially after losses. But I think we know that no one takes the losses harder than the players and coaches themselves, and now is the time of year to come together as one Hofstra community and hope for the best.

This team has been enjoyable to follow this year. No matter what happens, it'll be fun. I'd sincerely enjoy going back to The Mack to see HU host a CBI or CIT game this month if that's what it comes to, because I enjoy watching this team play.

But, I'd much rather sit on my couch and see Hofstra's name on a bracket on Selection Sunday. No, this team isn't the favorite or even the second choice. But after all of the ups and downs from Nov-Feb, this team is a LEGIT contender to cut the nets on Tuesday night. So let's get it done, fellas! Deny me the joy of attending a CBI or CIT home game so you can all have an experience you'll never forget. Either way, I'll be happy. But I'll be even happier if I'm happy for you.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The Shadow wrote: I believe that RG and HS already have one degree and are starting a second as is JA. This is quite an achievement. So a big Thank You to everyone at HU athletics for all the long hours and hard work that they put in. Go win the CAAT.
RG is seeking a Masters in Public Relations.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Wags wrote: We've all given the program in one way or another some tough love, especially after losses.
It's all tough love from me if and when I have a criticism with a player or coach. At the end of day, I want to see them cut down the nets more than anyone. My expectations are always high because that is the type of program I envision and think we are capable of being. We've had some great players and teams since our last NCAAT berth. It's hard to believe sometimes that nothing broke our way in any of those seasons since 2001.

Everyone here loves HU hoops and hopefully this is the year. I am anxious for Sunday and cautiously optimistic we can do something very special if things break right. We can beat anyone in this league. Let's go!!!!
Cards

Post by Cards »

Dooku25 wrote:
Wags wrote: We've all given the program in one way or another some tough love, especially after losses.
It's all tough love from me if and when I have a criticism with a player or coach. At the end of day, I want to see them cut down the nets more than anyone. My expectations are always high because that is the type of program I envision and think we are capable of being. We've had some great players and teams since our last NCAAT berth. It's hard to believe sometimes that nothing broke our way in any of those seasons since 2001.

Everyone here loves HU hoops and hopefully this is the year. I am anxious for Sunday and cautiously optimistic we can do something very special if things break right. We can beat anyone in this league. Let's go!!!!
I think we are all once again happy that HU MBB is a program with integrity and one that we are all proud to have represent the university. There are many to thank that have put us in this position. Now, as far as what happens on the court - I am with you 100% Dooku
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Polito and all well said. This program has integrity and great people playing and coaching.

Time for the good guys to cut down the nets on Tuesday to show the league and even some in Hofstra's administration what an achievement like this can do for the school.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Sometimes we all get consumed with the many details of our program and then we can't see the forest for the trees; and we don't always appreciate what we have or where we came from. I think all of us want the same thing - a program that is clean, a team competes hard every night, recruits well, gets our share of good players and makes a post season tourney now and again. Whether or not I agree with the poster here - I appreciate the views and passion for or program. Well said Polito (and all the others).
Wags

Post by Wags »

While we're throwing the love around, I want to add that this season (as in seasons past) was especially enjoyable to follow because of this board.

So thanks for whoever (sorry, I think I should know!) set this board up after CAAZone and thanks to everyone here for their posts.

It sincerely wouldn't be as much fun to follow Hofstra Hoops every season without the interaction of the extremely enthusiastic and knowledgeable fans who post here every day. And I can honestly say that includes everyone who posts. But also a special shout out on that to Evan for all of the hard work on the interesting stats and facts.

Okay, group hug (lol), then let's get 3 W's starting tomorrow night!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Nice Wags! We should have a get together for all Board members after the season! Which hopefully goes for at LEAST another FOUR games!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

If we make it to tuesday night how about a viewing party at the Savoy grill in merrick
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote: But also a special shout out on that to Evan for all of the hard work on the interesting stats and facts.
Thank you.