Jay Wright

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraPride1

Jay Wright

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Still stunned by yesterday's retirement news and hope there is nothing bad health wise that led to it. Will forever be grateful for memories he created for me as a student with back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances. I hope Hofstra will have a Jay Wright Day soon similar to what they did for Mihalich this past season.
Last edited by HofstraPride1 on Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Shadow

Re: Jay Wright

Post by The Shadow »

How about naming a part of the Mac Arena or the practice facility in Coach Wright's honor? Wasn't the locker room for basketball just named for Coach Joe recently? If I also remember correctly, the locker room for lacrosse is named after Harry Royle and Vinnie Sombrotto. There is also the pavilion by Shuart Stadium named for Howdy Meyers, so the precedent has occurred. I am quite sure there will be an appropriate idea. Let's let the news settle in and get some clarification first.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Could name the court after him
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

stuball888 wrote:Could name the court after him
I would have zero issue with this, especially since he was coach when arena first opened. Either way they should find something in arena to name for him.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Speedy holds him in high esteem he would be all for this. Really like this idea we need to pay homage to a man who's a big part of basketball history here.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Many have speculated why Jay retired.
I have a few opinions.
The college landscape is changing so fast the it is like a tornado.
First off is the speculation that college players will have to be paid in the future. This could open a can of worms that Jay want no part of.
Second is players are transferring more of than they change their socks.
There is no loyalty to a coach or school anymore.
Also with the woke culture taking over college campuses all over the country how soon before a coach is caught in a weak moment and will be fired or sued.
Jay at 60 probably is saying its just not worth the trouble. Go out on a high note and onto another challenge.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

stuball888 wrote:Many have speculated why Jay retired.
I have a few opinions.
The college landscape is changing so fast the it is like a tornado.
First off is the speculation that college players will have to be paid in the future. This could open a can of worms that Jay want no part of.
Second is players are transferring more of than they change their socks.
There is no loyalty to a coach or school anymore.
Also with the woke culture taking over college campuses all over the country how soon before a coach is caught in a weak moment and will be fired or sued.
Jay at 60 probably is saying its just not worth the trouble. Go out on a high note and onto another challenge.
All valid points Stuball888 - I am also betting that there is BIG TV analyst job coming down the pike for this - good looking, insightful, experienced ex-coach.

My hope is JW finds time to stay relevant with his 2 past coaching spots - and help mentor his to young HC protégés, Speedy and Neptune. Maybe even help recruit and steer a player or two our way.

How ironic - Speedy and Neptunes college coaching careers (I dont think) never crossed BUT they both have the same to 2 primary college coaching mentors - to thank for their HC positions - JW and JAM! A weird, interesting twisted road.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Agree that he has accomplished everything he could as a college coach and, that a TV job is just around the corner...Bill Rafferty are you listening?
Polito

Post by Polito »

I am still shocked by this news!! Really am - first of all, 60 is not old, even in coaching. Coach K went WELL beyond that, as did Roy Williams, and countless other greats. Jay looks fantastic, and frankly probably has another championship run in him. Though normally valid points Stu, let's be real, Nova has no worries about the NIL (players are already getting paid), Jay has successfully navigated the murky waters of slipping up and getting caught in bad situations his entire career, and he has no worries about the xfer market - they have build a premier brand, a national champion, and nearly every top player in the country has them in their top group every year, just like Duke and Kentucky.

Perhaps Jay is simply tired of the grind, that can certainly do it, and would be understandable. But overall, this is a VERY surprising announcement that came out of nowhere - I listened to Jay Bilas, someone who knows Jay well, and HE was completely surprised by this as well.

First, I hope everything is truly ok, and that Jay is just ready for something new!

Second, a TV spot is literally guaranteed - it's just a matter of what he wants, and how much he wants to make lol.

Third, it would be incredible to somehow incorporate Jay as an advisor for Speedy and the HU program, similar to Mihalic. Imagine that leadership council?!

Fourth, I LOVE the idea of naming something after him, and the court seems absolutely perfect. HU should be all over that. This should happen this coming season, if HU is smart. And lock him up with a Roy Williams type scenario at UNC. I'm sure he'll be very involved in Nova, so it may not be quite that deep, but push hard for it and take whatever you can get!

Fifth, Kyle Neptune being announced as the successor immediately from this retirement announcement is almost just as shocking! After just 1 yr at Fordham he landed one of THE most coveted jobs in the entire collegiate game?? I know he was a long-time Jay assistant, and was likely Jay's requested replacement, but still that is a surprise - not even a search? Not even a little bit of exploration of other top proven coaches in the game??

... wow, good for him. He must be a stud. HUGE shoes to fill.

Sixth, wonder if there are any Fordham players, or even bench Nova guys, worth pursuing??

Seventh, WHO is going to replace Neptune at Fordham?? A perennial bottom feeder yes, but Neptune started to turn them in very short order - it's actually a 'somewhat' intriguing job now... wonder if they go after Grasso???
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

I bet Jay takes a year off, then goes to the NBA. He was already making 6mm per yr...higher than I thought, and about middle of the pack for nba head coaches. He could probably get in the 8-10 range, I'm guessing. Clearly it wouldn't be for the money, though. It would be for the challenge, if he were so inclined.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

Hm interesting thought - i’m not sure about that one, totally different animal - the NBA is actually much easier and much less of a grind, but it’s also much more about the ‘business’ and then it is about relationships and family… And I think that’s really what Jay is all about.

I think he has a chance to be the premier broadcaster/analyst in the coming years.
Wags

Post by Wags »

joeg1 wrote:I bet Jay takes a year off, then goes to the NBA. He was already making 6mm per yr...higher than I thought, and about middle of the pack for nba head coaches. He could probably get in the 8-10 range, I'm guessing. Clearly it wouldn't be for the money, though. It would be for the challenge, if he were so inclined.
Granted, this back when Villanova played Hofstra at Nassau Coliseum back in Dec. 2017, but I asked him about the NBA. He had already had many offers and turned them down each time. He wanted no part of the NBA. He told me it would have to be the perfect situation, and even then he doubted he'd consider it. Part of that was that he loved Villanova and didn't want to leave. Now that he has left, that may change things. But I doubt it. I think it's more likely he becomes a TV basketball analyst or simply enjoys retirement than going to the NBA.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I don't know Jay Wright but having to be in this high pressure grind for so long it may be that he just had to step back and relax for a while before he throws himself into something else. I just don't see him retiring unless his health isn't good.