Towson’s the team

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Towson’s the team

Post by HUSID80 »

Right now it looks like Towson is the favorite for the CAA bid. I think we are second only because we lost to them twice.

Towson dismantled UNCW tonight on the road and exposed them…they had their run and now they’re struggling.

Delaware looks like they will be the fourth seed…hoping we can squeak into second by winning out at home.

Thoughts.
Wags

Re: Towson’s the team

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:Right now it looks like Towson is the favorite for the CAA bid. I think we are second only because we lost to them twice.

Towson dismantled UNCW tonight on the road and exposed them…they had their run and now they’re struggling.

Delaware looks like they will be the fourth seed…hoping we can squeak into second by winning out at home.

Thoughts.
Addressed this in the Other CAA Teams on TV thread already, but have also been saying in several threads here for weeks that Towson was the team to beat after seeing what they did to HU on TV at their place and in person at The Mack, and said early on that UNCW would eventually fall back to Earth even though I was impressed with what they did early. After Towson, Hofstra and UNCW are pretty even, but edge to HU for going 5-0 after starting 5-4 while UNCW is just 3-3 after starting 9-0 - going in opposite directions at the biggest time of the year.

Best case for HU: Towson gets the 1 seed and HU doesn't have to see them until the finals. UNCW in a 2/3 semis game much better than Towson in a 2/3 semis game. That's what it comes down to now in these final regular season games. And if Towson or UNCW care to stub their toes a couple times while Hofstra TCB and steals the 1, then even better!
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

We lost at home to TU undermanned...and we still should have won. We can beat anyone in this league. Bring it on.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

joeg1 wrote:We lost at home to TU undermanned...and we still should have won. We can beat anyone in this league. Bring it on.
Definitely can beat anyone. But I think people are really underestimating Towson, maybe because we never think of them as a top team in the league, but they are different this year especially with the new 3-point threat they've added this year to all of the other things they still do well that we're used to seeing from them.

I would not say SHOULD have won at all. Towson torched HU from 3 in the first half of that game just like they did against HU at Towson. And when HU took that away in the second half, Towson beat HU up badly inside. HU had no answer for either approach and struggled for everything it got offensively. Neither game was close. Even at full strength, I think Towson would've swept HU. Seemingly a different HU team of late, but this is not a good matchup for HU. Would have to play much better than the first two times.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

The reality of the home game was that we lost and we were NOT undermanned we had all our players in the game except for Cramer. We were out rebounded by 10 rebounds and only had 21 rebounds. Can the addition of Cramer offset a 10 point victory? They killed us on the boards and it was a game that Timberlake couldn't do anything wrong. It was the kind of game he was having. In the first game they had a three point PARTY and Gibson had a field day. I've said this here before and I'll repeat it they beat us twice but can they beat us a THIRD time in one season? That's the question I think they're a better team then us but that's not to say we can't beat them when everything is on the line but a lot of players need to have big games and we need to offset their rebounding. That game could be a helluva matchup.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Not going to discount UNCW just yet, they have talent and play tough, but Towson looks like the worst matchup for this team. They bury their open shots (and Hofstra's defense still allows way too many of them), play better defense than anyone else in the conference, and rebound well.
If they finish 1 and hofstra finishes 2--3 they wouldn't have to see them until the final.
Still, Hofstra can beat anyone in the CAA, they have the most depth and the best player in the league by a mile.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

cactus wrote:Not going to discount UNCW just yet, they have talent and play tough, but Towson looks like the worst matchup for this team. They bury their open shots (and Hofstra's defense still allows way too many of them), play better defense than anyone else in the conference, and rebound well.
If they finish 1 and hofstra finishes 2--3 they wouldn't have to see them until the final.
Still, Hofstra can beat anyone in the CAA, they have the most depth and the best player in the league by a mile.
We shouldn't take ANYONE lightly. At times this year, we looked flat out awful! Granted, I believe we've turned the corner, but if we look past any team, we'll get smoked!

stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Amen Ditto
Polito

Post by Polito »

wags called it and kept telling me and this board for weeks lol - he was right :)

I am shocked at that game, the W got smacked back down to earth, and Towson showed they better be respected

I'd take a rubber match with them all day, now at full strength. Let's get the CAAT going!
Wags

Post by Wags »

joeg1 wrote:
cactus wrote:Not going to discount UNCW just yet, they have talent and play tough, but Towson looks like the worst matchup for this team. They bury their open shots (and Hofstra's defense still allows way too many of them), play better defense than anyone else in the conference, and rebound well.
We shouldn't take ANYONE lightly. At times this year, we looked flat out awful! Granted, I believe we've turned the corner, but if we look past any team, we'll get smoked!
Fully agree and this is why today's game might go a long way toward helping the staff to keep the team championship-level focused heading into D.C. Get these last three games, and it might be the right mix of good confidence (nine-game winning streak) tempered by humility (should have lost to the last-place team at home on a big day for the program).
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

As mentioned previously - TU has added 3 point shooting to their arsenal, and they beat us on the boards by 5 and 10 in the 2 games. Not to mention Towson will have a "virtual" Home Court for the Final. I'm sure they will have a turnout if the NCAA bid is on the line. That added element will make it tough - where the crowd can pull the "Home Team" through the finish line.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ZMAN3 wrote:As mentioned previously - TU has added 3 point shooting to their arsenal, and they beat us on the boards by 5 and 10 in the 2 games. Not to mention Towson will have a "virtual" Home Court for the Final. I'm sure they will have a turnout if the NCAA bid is on the line. That added element will make it tough - where the crowd can pull the "Home Team" through the finish line.
I would think so too, but they didn't even draw nearly as well as I thought they would when they had the 2 seed in Baltimore in 2014 or the 3 seed in Baltimore in 2016. The schools from considerable farther south drew much better and were much louder than Towson's fans and you can't any closer than Royal Farms Arena without Towson hosting the tourney on their home court on campus.

Maybe it's different should they get the 1 seed and what might finish as the best regular season they've ever had in their program history, but based on the past, I wouldn't count on it.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Without looking it up - did they get to Championship games those years ?
Wags

Post by Wags »

ZMAN3 wrote:Without looking it up - did they get to Championship games those years ?
Neither.

2014: beat 7 seed JMU by 9 in the quarters before losing by 4 in the semis to 3 seed W&M, which had a lot more fans that were much louder in that game.
2016: upset in the quarters by 6 seed Northeastern, by 11.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

In 2019-2020, our average home attendance was 2,837, and the CAA Final had a much lower 1,926. With JMU excluded, and the tournament being farther from Wilmington and Charleston than from us, I don't think fans will make us do worse. I don't miss reading CSNBBS posts by JMU's fans, but the CAA could miss their attendance. If you rank each conference by what percent of games had both teams in the top half of the NET and had under 2,000 fans, the CAA could lead.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

joeg1 wrote:

As a long time hofstra fan I wasn't suggesting that at all Image just think Towson is the toughest team in the conference, but hofstra has enough depth and talent to beat anyone. They can lose to anyone, too
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote:
joeg1 wrote:

As a long time hofstra fan I wasn't suggesting that at all Image just think Towson is the toughest team in the conference, but hofstra has enough depth and talent to beat anyone. They can lose to anyone, too
The problem with Towson is they're a pick-your-poison team. We saw it best in the second game against them. They torched HU from 3 (8/15) in the first half. HU completely took that away in the second half (Towson went 0/4 from 3), and Towson beat HU up badly inside throughout the second half and won by double digits. The only answer to that is shoot lights from 3 (and/or maybe from 2) yourself, or hope Towson is cold that day and misses open 3s, or that somehow, HU's bigs are up to the very difficult task of at least slowing down if not containing Towson's bigs inside. Northeastern beat Towson so Towson certainly isn't invincible, especially if HU is playing its best that day because after all, HU is one of the best two or three teams in the CAA, but that inside-outside threat Towson's has this year, and HU's inability to stop it over two games, makes it a bad potential matchup.