Aaron Estrada - POY

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Aaron Estrada - POY

Post by Cards »

Estrada named CAA player of the week for the fifth time. With even only "decent" play the rest of the season, I can't see him not being named POY.

Talent, confidence, plays under control...... sure glad he's on our roster. And will be for another TWO years :D

I wonder how much of Aaron's ability and potential Speedy saw from the get-go. I wonder how hard Speedy worked to get him to come to HU?
CTDutch

Re: Aaron Estrada - POY

Post by CTDutch »

Cards wrote:Estrada named CAA player of the week for the fifth time. With even only "decent" play the rest of the season, I can't see him not being named POY.

Talent, confidence, plays under control...... sure glad he's on our roster. And will be for another TWO years :D

I wonder how much of Aaron's ability and potential Speedy saw from the get-go. I wonder how hard Speedy worked to get him to come to HU?
Can't answer for Speedy, but us MAAC fans knew him and his talent when he was MAAC ROY at St Peter's.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

He lost the national free throw percentage lead because he doesn't have enough attempts after no attempts in the last three games. To qualify going into the CAA Tournament, he needs 17 attempts in 5 games. I'll be disappointed if he has a percentage that would be in the top ten in NCAA history but doesn't qualify. It would be like if an MLB player was on the field for almost every inning but did not qualify for defensive leaders because too few balls were hit to him. No matter how much you play, being fouled and having balls hit to you require an action by an opponent.

Two players have led the CAA in points per game and assists per game, two have led in points per game and free throw percentage, and nobody has led in all three in one season going back to 1988-1989.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Just from watching his games he takes more jump shots then he drives the ball I'm guessing the reason he doesn't get fouled as much. We know JWF won the player of the week award 7 times what is the record in the CAA?
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The end of https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... 1mbask.pdf has Player of the Week going back to 1985-1986 and Rookie of the Week going back to 2002-2003. I'm not checking who won the most times, but you can check, or different people can split up the work.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

In league play he's averaging 23.6 pts, 5.4 boards, 4.8 assists, and 1.8 steals per game.
He should win the award unanimously.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:In league play he's averaging 23.6 pts, 5.4 boards, 4.8 assists, and 1.8 steals per game.
Agreed I think they already have the trophy done with his name on it!!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:
cactus wrote:In league play he's averaging 23.6 pts, 5.4 boards, 4.8 assists, and 1.8 steals per game.
Hard to imagine another player as deserving as Estrada
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

daHUPride wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
daHUPride wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
Not even close!!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

What does Estrada's POTW dominance say about the rest of the CAA? Not to take anything away from him, but he seems to have won the award with some very good, but not outstanding, performances.

Another way to look at the five POTW awards is that they are really team awards. Estrada is able to do what he does because he's not a one-man show. As others here have commented, we are more dangerous this year because we have other players who can take over games, as Zach Cooks did early on, as Iyiola did at Arkansas and as Silvario did last night.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Jojogunne wrote:What does Estrada's POTW dominance say about the rest of the CAA? Not to take anything away from him, but he seems to have won the award with some very good, but not outstanding, performances.

Another way to look at the five POTW awards is that they are really team awards. Estrada is able to do what he does because he's not a one-man show. As others here have commented, we are more dangerous this year because we have other players who can take over games, as Zach Cooks did early on, as Iyiola did at Arkansas and as Silvario did last night.
and we're not even mentioning a preseason all-CAA first teamer in jalen ray.

Estrada does have four 30 point games in conference play, three of which he also had 6+ assists. But it's not just the overall #'s that makes him the clear conference POY, it's also how he's been able to completely take over tight games down the stretch.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

as for the rest of the CAA, it's hard to put together a clear cut first team, so there's not many guys having really good years. something like:

G estrada
G wynter Drexel
G sims UNCW
F holden Towson
F ???? maybe dylan painter DEL or john meeks CofC, or another guard like vado morse (JMU) or hunter mcintosh (ELON)
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote: he seems to have won the award with some very good, but not outstanding, performances.
Can't agree here - he has been extremely consistent, even raising his game as the season went on.

No one ever wins the CAA POY award merely on a handful of outstanding performances. It's always about reliably producing over the season in a consistent way and Estrada has done that in a way that no one else on his team has approached:

- He has scored at least 20 points 14 times.
- He's had at least six rebounds 14 times.
- He's has at least six assists 12 times.
Jojogunne wrote: Another way to look at the five POTW awards is that they are really team awards. Estrada is able to do what he does because he's not a one-man show. As others here have commented, we are more dangerous this year because we have other players who can take over games, as Zach Cooks did early on, as Iyiola did at Arkansas and as Silvario did last night.
What Silverio did last night was an aberration and what Iyiola did at Arkansas were aberrations. They, Cooks, Ray, and others have been largely inconsistent even though they've all had their moments here and there. I'd actually say it's the opposite of a team award with Estrada this year, that it IS a true POY award (if he gets it, and I believe he will) because HU's record would be a few (maybe several?) games worse in CAA play without him and because he has often either carried or led the team to wins in spite of a lack of help - not because of receiving a lot of help - from others.

I'm not saying he's done it all by himself. Like I said, others have had their moments multiple times and have helped him at times. But he's far and away been the team's most reliable player this season.
cactus wrote: and we're not even mentioning a preseason all-CAA first teamer in jalen ray.
But who often has played nothing like that this year, leaving Estrada to have to carry more of the load for his team.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Estrada is by far and away the POY. He has dominated in CAA play, consistently out performing all the others who were pre season picks.

NO CONTEST!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Nice article about Estrada:

https://www.thehofstrachronicle.com/cat ... tournament

Pretty soon SI will have to write about him.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

cactus wrote: He should win the award unanimously.
When JWF won it the second time, it wasn't unanimous because each team had two voters who couldn't vote for their team.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

We have two candidates for POTW this week: Omar with 11 threes, a CAA record, and Zach, with a game-clinching performance. Who would you vote for?

I don't know how other players in the CAA performed.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Silverio averaged 17.7 points, but not much else. He shot twos .231 and threes .619. Cooks averaged 6.0 points and shot .308. He doesn't deserve Player of the Week for one winning shot. Estrada is more deserving than either of them. He averaged 18.7 points, 6.0 rebounds, 6.0 assists, 1.7 steals, and shot .469. UNCW's Jaylen Sims won the CAA's Twitter poll for Player of the Night last night. He averaged 24.0 points and 6.7 rebounds, but it could be hard to win in a week with a blowout loss. Towson's Nicolas Timberlake averaged 18.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, and shot .500. It's hard to break a conference record for threes in a game and not be the best player on your team that week, but IMO Estrada had a better week.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:Silverio averaged 17.7 points, but not much else. He shot twos .231 and threes .619. Cooks averaged 6.0 points and shot .308. He doesn't deserve Player of the Week for one winning shot. Estrada is more deserving than either of them. He averaged 18.7 points, 6.0 rebounds, 6.0 assists, 1.7 steals, and shot .469. UNCW's Jaylen Sims won the CAA's Twitter poll for Player of the Night last night. He averaged 24.0 points and 6.7 rebounds, but it could be hard to win in a week with a blowout loss. Towson's Nicolas Timberlake averaged 18.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, and shot .500. It's hard to break a conference record for threes in a game and not be the best player on your team that week, but IMO Estrada had a better week.
I agree and this is exactly what I was saying earlier in this thread - yes, Silverio and Cooks had their big moments, but only Estrada on this team produces with consistency, game in and game out. Not only the best on Hofstra, but the best in the CAA in that regard. And that's what makes him the CAA POY.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Jaylen Sims won Player of The Week.

The all-kenpom.com team has Estrada first, Towson's Cameron Holden second, Drexel's Camren Wynter third, Towson's Charles Thompson fourth, and Towson's Nicolas Timberlake fifth. A team has never had three players on the First Team. I hope voters don't decide that a POY must come from a regular season champion if that team was picked eighth (Towson) or ninth (UNCW), and I hope voters don't decide that us having four or five double-digit scorers mean Estrada shouldn't be POY. How players and teams were expected to do should be irrelevant for awards.