Game 3 - Manhattan

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Game 3 - Manhattan

Post by Polito »

Figure I should be the one to help us move forward since I've been quite vocal about the poor display thus far. SH is over, and it's time to move on. Team needs to focus on going 1-0 for every single game.

Friday night at Draddy - expecting a battle - this could be one of the ugliest games of the year quite frankly, because both teams are sloppy right now, and neither can hit FTs. Both also are poor at defending the 3.

Will be interesting to see if HU's guards can break down the Jasper press and create opps - which is exactly what SHOULD happen with HU's guard talent IF this team is actually ready to play. If not, and HU still has no care in the world for defense, Manhattan could reverse it and this could be another way-too-high-scoring-affair.

With HU's Gustys still apparently dealing with a hand issue, and Manhattan's Rich Williams out indefinitely, this local mid battle looks to be a wild event.

What say you all?
Hofstra

Re: Game 3 - Manhattan

Post by Hofstra »

Going with a friend of mine to the game. I think I am meeting up with FD from here as well..

Will be celebrating a win at http://www.jakessteakhouse.com/bronx/menu/dinner after the game. All are welcome.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Hofstra wrote:Going with a friend of mine to the game. I think I am meeting up with FD from here as well..

Will be celebrating a win at http://www.jakessteakhouse.com/bronx/menu/dinner after the game. All are welcome.
I'll be at th game with these guys as well.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Awesome.. Going to be a good time..
Polito

Post by Polito »

Go get em guys...

Hope you can be loud and proud. Will be very interested to see how this team responds to the last game and the much needed adjustments.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

I may be able to make it...where is everyone sitting?
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

didnt get my tickets yet, I am sure there will be plenty of open ones.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

No words right now.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Hate to say it - but they stink! No defense, can't stop dribble penetration allowing layups and easy jumpers. Offense is just a mess of scrambling one on one. Pemberton only bright light.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

According to KenPom's ratings, HU has defeated #333 CSU, lost to #325 SHU, and is down by eight to #234 MC. It appears there is a lack any real defense and no plays on offense that I can see. We may have to revisit the expectations for this group. They seem a step behind defensively and boxed out on rebounding. Too much one player with the ball and no ball movement. Also 17 MC points off HU turnovers, a poor showing so far in the Bronx.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Pitiful.

I love the HU announcers, FINALLY telling it like it is - MAJOR props to the girl Tiffany I think, she is ON POINT

They have flat out said it's a bunch of individuals out there, not a team - terrible ball distribution (i.e. Complete lack of it) - and that Manhattan lost their top scoring last yr too so there is NO excuse for this kind of disorganized unfocused and undisciplined play

Once again zero leadership - extremely disappointed with Powers - he is not a leader, doesn't dish, and therefore is not the answer - I would rather take our lumps with Buie as a Soph to build for the future.

I am becoming very concerned for the SEASON - horrendous start to the yr, extremely disappointed in the coaching staff - their team is a disaster right now

I did warn this could be one of the ugliest games of the yr - so far HU is winning on that LOL - Let's see what pandemonium is in store for the 2nd half...
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Watching the Manhattan video stream. Powers is awful. He doesn't even look for his teammates when he has the ball. And as Zman pointed out, we are playing no D. The Jaspers are penetrating at will and finding the open man.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

I don't care how young the team is, there's no excuse for at least the experienced players to be playing like this. And for as "experienced" our coaching staff is, it's pathetic and embarrassing that they still have no defense plans whatever.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

As if this wasn't already enough of a nightmare, Pemberton went down pretty hard and may have hurt his leg.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

The wheels are coming off. The Jaspers lead by 12 with four minutes to go.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I'm embarrassed, and admittedly completely shell shocked at this group - folks this team is awful.

Powers is a terrible PG and killing this team.

Bernardi making rookie mistakes and TO city.

Gustys presence nowhere to be found.

This is becoming unwatchable. And I don't mean this game, I mean the TEAM.

Coaching staff has to be called out - this team is not ready to play in any way shape or form. Completely out of control. What was done in the offseason??

I'm losing interest...fast.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Jojogunne wrote:The wheels are coming off. The Jaspers lead by 12 with four minutes to go.
Honestly not sure the wheels were ever fully on. The game was a train wreck since early on when we gave up a 13-1 run and blew an 11-4 lead.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

After last game I was not worried, nor ready for negative talk. Yes, was embarrassing and unacceptable to lose, but felt the team at the core showed promise.

Today, I did not even feel close to that way. Listened to the first half in the car and was frustrated listening to the fouls and travels. Sounded like the shooting starting off strong and just gradually turned into nothing. Watched the second half and really got to see the absolute lack of any sort of structure. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this coaching staff. Can not forget we were season champs, went to the finals, and made a visit in the NIT. The year prior was not too different and Mihalich has turned this program from an embarrassing group of convicts to a reputable program. That being said, the lack of defense showed tonight. Without a Nesmith, Tanksley, or of course Juanya to fall back on, this team is not a shooting team. Full of players that can shoot? Yes. Loved JWF towards the end, Pemberton is a work in progress but diamond in the rough. Buie showed promise last year at shooting. Robinson being an amazing freshman. But this team is not reliable at shooting to any extent. When that's the case, free throw shooting and defense need to be top notch, and of course those being our weak spots.

The thing that scares me the most is the lack of structure on offense. What I love about JAM is the amount of structure he brought. Constantly directing and yelling out plays. Not sure if he is not doing that or they are just not listening, but to repeat what everyone else has pointed out, it just looks like selfish street ball. No sense of team or basketball knowledge. This team needs a leader. Whether it be a reliable point guard or consistent shooter, because Rokas is not the answer at being a leader.

Nonetheless, we have a win in the books and there is still A LOT more basketball to be played. No excuses, but work, dedication, structure, and leadership need to be shown if this team wants to compete in conference play.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Made the trip to the bx from work in midtown...not an awful trip via the 2 to 96th and the 1 from there.

At least we hung in until the final 10 mins. Couldn't help but overhearing more than a few MC fans surprise with the drop off in the team. Also, the Mack is a palace compared to draddy. Low ceilings, the student section makes a lot of noise - about 200 of them- mostly in response to Masiello waving his arms to egg them on. He is a major league tool. Anyway, MC is not very good, but evidently, neither are we right now. Nice to see a good hofstra contingency, including Malik Nichols, who appears to be no worse first wear after the acl reconstruction surgery.

A few observations- I think jm is letting them take their lumps a bit to see what he has- I think he is unsure who should be the lead guard. I think (hope) ultimately Buie will win out over Powers, who is very limited imo. Buie needs to learn how to manage the game a little better. Hopefully speedy is working with him. He is a better defender/passers-by, although powers at this point is a better scorer. Eli, who looked fine after the fall, is a talent. His handle is surprisingly good...actually, I would consider him at the point. He kind of disappeared the second half after they payed much closer attention to him. Why the didn't feed Rok steadily, is a mystery. He played without the wrap and seemed ok. At times, jwf looked good too. Also Greer showed flashes. Again, I think a lot of it was a function of jm auditioning under game conditions. I think once he settles on a rotation, things will improve.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
pie

Post by pie »

ha ha ha...welcome to the world of joe mihalich, the great charlatan...the only success he had at hofstra was at the expense of niagara, which he raped and pillaged on his way out....now he's left exposed as the talent-less buffoon he really is...he can't coach, and he can't recruit...he's on old man who can only pretend....enjoy him