MBB Recruits 2018

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: MBB Recruits 2018

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:But what is the status of this proposal? Has it been adopted?
From what I had read previously they were supposed to vote on the changes in June don't know if that's still the timeline or whether it has changed.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Great job by the coaching staff to get an SEC big with 3 years of eligibility and tons of upside. The staff came through late and brought in some real talent, I like the potential for all three bigs, and all three bring a little something different to the table.

A redshirt year may be good for Kante's development, he didn't see much time at Georgia, but a few articles I've read allude to his high upside, he should be a great fit for the CAA.

If we brought in two guys to redshirt this year (Kante, Hughes), the coaching staff is putting a lot of pressure on Trueheart and Schutte to produce. I know Schutte is highly regarded internally by the staff and players, can't wait to see him on the court! I we will see more four guard sets too, we have a lot of potential scoring with JWF, EP, Ray, and Coburn.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:If that’s the case we need another big for this year. Is Hines from UMass still available
I'm with you on this Stu if Kante not eligible but I think this is not a definite yet. A lot of weight then would be put on Taylor's back and Schutte. Does anyone know how his development is shaping up??
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Malik Hines just transferred to McNeese State!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

OH BALLS! He would have been a perfect fit here
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yeah and a perfect fit in a lot of other schools. According to what I'm reading from the NCAA's web site the following has been taken from the proposed recommendations to college basketball this year;
For similar reasons, the Commission also has concluded that one aspect of the
current transfer rule – the requirement that a player who transfers sit out for a year –
remain in place. Even under the current rule, an astounding 600-plus Division I men’s
basketball players transferred this year, in the hope of greener basketball pastures. Forty
percent of players who enter Division I basketball from high school leave their original
schools by sophomore year.
Players who transfer are less likely to complete their
degrees.
Third parties often influence transfer decisions for their own purposes and
without thought to the impact of transfer on the student-athlete. The detrimental effect
of transfer on a student-athlete’s education means that transferring should not be made
easier for basketball’s sake.
So it certainly appears that the proposal that basketball players under specific circumstances be given a special dispensation and immediate eligibility after they transfer has been shot down. If that's the case then obviously Kante has to sit out this year!!
Cards

Post by Cards »

So if he sits out, our front line this season will be Taylor and Schutte, along with Truehart, Radovic, and Hughes.

So experience wise, we have Taylor with 3 years (minimal minutes)
Truehart with 1 year
Radovic with 1 year
Schutte with 0 years
Hughes with 0 years

Looks like a pretty green and inexperienced group to me. I'm not knocking them, it could work out to be fine, but simply from an experience standpoint, its a pretty thin front line.

I still think we could use another big - even if only for a year.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:So if he sits out, our front line this season will be Taylor and Schutte, along with Truehart, Radovic, and Hughes.

Truehart with 1 year
Radovic with 1 year
Schutte with 0 years
Hughes with 0 years

Looks like a pretty green and inexperienced group to me. I'm not knocking them, it could work out to be fine, but simply from an experience standpoint, its a pretty thin front line.

Totally agree with you on this Cards and we as fans don't really have a clue as to where Schutte's development is, Hughes an outside perimeter shooter with a thin frame Radovic is really a guard another 3 point shooter who can give you some rebounding. So you have ST who can block shots and rebound and needs to bulk up. Now you bring in this kid from Purdue who clearly has a lot of upside but who has been injured for most of his college career. It sounds like we are walking on a slippery slope and this could spell disaster! We need another big unless thru some miracle Kante is eligible.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

The way our offense is configured, we don't need a post-up big.

We do, however, need a big who can defend- let's hope we have enough incoming talent to fill that role.
Wags

Post by Wags »

According to this, Kante will sit out the upcoming season:

http://gohofstra.com/news/2018/6/4/mens ... kante.aspx
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

I am sure we all would love another player that can play this season but if (and yes it is a big if) everyone stays healthy we are 2 deep at every position. We have a solid roster. It is tough at the mid major level to have those backups that can just plug in if someone gets hurt; we saw this with Malik a few years ago. Let's trust the staffs assessment of Schutte and if they think he can be the solid backup like sabety was then it goes a long way. We also don't know what to expect out of Hughes which could give us a third guy at the "5" position.

Overall I am happy with this recruiting class and think we should be a better team than last year.
Flying Dutchmen

Not sure if this was posted, but I found an interview with Hal Hughes:

http://zsmart.blogspot.com/2018/04/uno- ... d.html?m=1
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:Not sure if this was posted, but I found an interview with Hal Hughes:

Good post FD. We now have some info. on the mystery man and it gives us some insight into his game and what his perceived role will be here. Who is he referring to that went from 210 to 240 KS??
Last edited by triplec2195 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Nice find FD
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Sounds like a solid player from the interview. Hope he meets and exceeds his expectations.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:Not sure if this was posted, but I found an interview with Hal Hughes:

I like this part, since it fits so well with Hofstra's perimeter defense :/
Coach Kingsley often describes you as the spirit of the team's defense. How would you sum up your overall role this past season?

HH: When we started out I was really a stretch four. Just being the biggest guy on the team, I adjusted to playing a lot in the post.

I'm not going to lie we struggled guarding man to man on the perimeter at times. So my biggest role was just blocking shots.
I thought he was a lock to redshirt because he needs to put on weight, but maybe he will play this year.
Nice to see they've added some legit shot blockers with this guy and Taylor - maybe they won't give up so many easy buckets around the hoop anymore.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yeah it was rare they ever contested a shot now we have at least three guys that hopefully will block some shots with Hughes,Taylor and Trueheart. It seemed like when we were on offense every one of our shots were contested.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Cards wrote:So if he sits out, our front line this season will be Taylor and Schutte, along with Truehart, Radovic, and Hughes.

Truehart with 1 year
Radovic with 1 year
Schutte with 0 years
Hughes with 0 years

In all fairness, Schutte and Truehart spent another year in the program as red shirts which should help them.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID74 wrote:

Truehart with 1 year
Radovic with 1 year
Schutte with 0 years
Hughes with 0 years

In all fairness, Schutte and Truehart spent another year in the program as red shirts which should help them.
I completely agree HUSID. The time redshirting can only help to prepare them (as I think it did with ST). That being said, there is no substitute for game playing time. KS will not be "green" like Radovic was, or I assume Hughes will be, but not seasoned with a year of playing time either.

If Schutte has bulked up a bit and can focus on getting boards and playing D, he will be fine backing up Taylor. I'm not really concerned about his scoring, because if he plays hard, he'll get a few put backs and maybe a pick and roll while on the court. As far as his "overall" offense, it will be important that he learns to compliment the other guys working picks, passing in and out, etc. I think Rok was underatted in that regard and it might take time for the others to effectively fill that role.

I 'm less concerned about Hughes. I think anything he contributes this year is icing on the cake. ST and MR should be getting most of those minutes anyway. If Hughes surprises with solid minutes, well, its a bonus we will happily take.
Flying Dutchmen

I'm not concerned about the frontcourt experience, because we really didn't get too much production from Sabety and Rok last year.

Offensively, both guys played exclusively in the paint, and shot very poorly from the FT line. Defensively, Rok didn't block shots, Sabety did, but he had footwork issues defensively IMO. I thought Rok had good court vision that was underutilized, but we are rightfully a guard-orientated team, and the PG should distribute. Taylor and Schutte have to play better defense, and work the pick and roll, that's it, anything else we get from them is an added bonus. ST needs to continue improving, I thought he flashed a lot of potential on both sides of the ball, with a bunch of bad fouls... we need him on the court next season.

As for the rebounding, there will be a void sans Rok, but we should be bigger overall, which should help. Also if we play more man to man, it's going to redistribute the opportunities other players have to get rebounds; Rok sat in the middle of the zone a lot, many times he was the only guy in the paint to grab the rebound.

I think we will run a four-guard sets with Coburn and Pemberton in the 3-4 spots, with one center, so I would expect we need to get about 60-65 minutes a game combined from ST, KS, and Taylor. Looking at how Taylor played at Purdue, I think he can play the 4 and 5, so I would expect to see different combinations of ST/KS/JT on the court at the same time, which is a nice deviation from the past two seasons.