MBB Recruits 2018

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
daHUPride

Re: MBB Recruits 2018

Post by daHUPride »

[quote="DCDUTCH"]5/30/2018 - 2017 C Isaac Kante (6-7, 236, 2★) Transferring to Hofsta

Sweet!

Don't know about him but was being recruited by so good ones out of HS - in addition to Georgia, Kante picked up offers from St Johns, Georgetown, Kansas State, St. Bonaventure, DePaul and Duquesne.
According to his high school coach “He can score the ball better than all of those (other recruited teammates). He’s pretty polished. Does he still need to get better? Absolutely. But he can score the ball in a number of ways — up-and-under, good shot fakes, score on both sides of the rim. He’s pretty good. Of (our) five high-major picks, he was the most advanced one.”

Assume he isn't playing this year - and needs to sit 2018-19.

Nice one - staff.
Last edited by daHUPride on Wed May 30, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

WOW.
If Kante can play right away - and IF Taylor gets 2 years of eligibly then we'd have a front court - Taylor (for 2 years), Truehart, Radovic and Kante (for 3 years) and Schutte and Hughes (for the next 4 years) - and just like that we are a deep front court!
Kudos to the staff.
With front court depth like that - the staff can go and do what they do best - get back court players.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

GREAT GET!!!!

Very happy.. Almost worth the extension for now.. I am amped.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

If I am not mistaken, there are now 12 scholarship players for 2018-19. This also sets up one extra, as many of the posters have mentioned, for the "you never know" who comes calling recruit. Once again, Coach Joe and Staff, sign a very good recruiting class. Sometimes, we as fans, have to be patient, and let the staff do what they know to be best. I am very excited and pleased in what Coach Joe and staff have accomplished. I am looking forward to a great season in 2018-19.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Does he for sure have to sit a year?
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Awesome get...this staff may tease and drive us crazy but in the end they come up BIG! Hope he and Taylor can play this year...that would be a GAME changer!
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Seems like a great get - hopefully eligible to play upcoming season - NOW STAFF HAS TO COACH 'EM UP! Doesn't matter who they recruit if they can't get best out of them - loosely translated - teach them some D (if they know how which remains to be seen)
garyg

Post by garyg »

Unfortunately Kante must sit out next season
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

ZMAN3 wrote:Seems like a great get - hopefully eligible to play upcoming season - NOW STAFF HAS TO COACH 'EM UP! Doesn't matter who they recruit if they can't get best out of them - loosely translated - teach them some D (if they know how which remains to be seen)
Good point Z -

The staff has some of its most talented athletic bigs - even though they all have some tarnish that needs to be cleaned off - the staff needs to get them up to speed, bring out their best and make our front court a force.
For the first time we have a number of players big - athletic - potential.

Truehart - 6'8" - like him as a role player - athletic has some ability to score (especially when isn't the "guy") - runs well blocks shoots
Taylor - 6'10"- before his nagging injuries probably the player that had the most upside out of high school - great combo of size, length and mobility
Kante - 6'8" - bulk, strong, deceivingly athletic, big motor

As fans its tough to see other teams signing players - earlier then us - for me its frustrating at times.
However - in retrospect - this staff does always seem to fill the roster with talent and without recruiting/pre-signing fanfare that other teams do.
I know some posters - like HUSID74 - remind us to be patient, we have coaches out there recruiting, etc. I am not sure I will ever be happy always being the last to fill the roster - and patience is not my strongest attribute - but I will give credit to those posters that remind us that we will get our players (we always do) and another tip of the hat to the staff as they do it their way - without compromising the type of high character players that they want on our roster.

IF Kante is available this season:
1) we are a contender, a really strong contender - to compete for a CAA championship.
2) consider redshirting - Radovic or Hughes
3) look for an under-recuited high school player, high potential PG - another redshirt candidate
4) consider a big lineup - occasionally - Taylor, Kante, Truehart, EP and Wormley - you know I like teams that can give different looks
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

garyg wrote:Unfortunately Kante must sit out next season
Gary do you know this for a fact or are you just assuming this?? If the NCAA rules are changed next month allowing kids to transfer and become immediately eligible to play if certain conditions are met one being allowing the eligibility when their coach is fired?? This seemingly would allow Kante to play this year.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Gary with Kantes coach leaving at Georgia he is eligible to play right away. New ruling on transfers in the NCAA
garyg

Post by garyg »

Heard from member of coaching staff
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Didn’t know that
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

If that’s the case we need another big for this year. Is Hines from UMass still available
garyg

Post by garyg »

Right now they are not planning on adding another player
garyg

Post by garyg »

What happened to Polito, did he leave the country...LOL ?????????????

Do people on this board think Taylor will be eligible for 2 years ??
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

garyg wrote:Heard from member of coaching staff
I wonder if that's the case based on where the current NCAA rules stand right now but could change next month?? Is anyone up on this? Clearly there are conditions that have to be met to be eligible to play immediately if and when the rules change! Can someone clarify this? In the posts about Kante I haven't read that he has to sit out this year or maybe that's just being assumed?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

garyg wrote:What happened to Polito, did he leave the country...LOL ?????????????

Do people on this board think Taylor will be eligible for 2 years ??
A lot has been written about Taylor getting a second year people that are knowledgeable about NCAA rules for what it's worth. As for Polito I think he was getting tired of getting beat up here but I'm sure will re-surface soon!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Took this from an article from SB Nation that is dated in January 2018; In a proposal presented by Baylor professor Jeremy Counseller and Iowa State professor Tim Day (pdf), athletes would be able to transfer without sitting out as long as they met one of a few guidelines:

1. the student-athlete earned a baccalaureate degree at the original institution;

2. the student-athlete’s head coach at the original institution resigned or was fired during or after the most recent season of competition, except that the student-athlete is not immediately eligible at another institution at which the head coach is employed;
He certainly seems to meet this criteria.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

But what is the status of this proposal? Has it been adopted?