Looking Ahead to 2020-2021 season

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HU87

Re: Looking Ahead to 2020-2021 season

Post by HU87 »

Polito wrote:I like how the non-conf is shaping up for the most part... I think 2 is fine for CA, but I'd like to see another Louisiana team on the docket with the LSU trip - plenty of options, Tulane, La Tech, ULL, Nichols St, Mcnesse St...

HU87, all good, love the double-ing down on ST...all in approach eh!! :lol: but I'll take that bet all day long :P , barring the 'I' word which I will not speak, he will not see anywhere near 25 min a game, and won't need to. I'd cut your numbers in half, generally speaking. As I just posted in the recruiting thread, I'm starting to get a gut feeling that TC stays at the 4 w/ST and Cramer backing up (and Green RS).

If so ST will likely see less than 10 a game, esp as Cramer gets worked into the fold, which is just right for his wheelhouse - quick strategic spark / TC relief off the bench. Any impact will be a beautiful bonus, just as it was this year.
Strong points and hard to argue with. If they decide to go 3 guards and TC for the majority of the minutes, my argument dies... I think Eli was a special player for being able to hold that stretch 4 position while undersized... I'm not as confident in TC, but I agree that it's our best line-up if he can be effective there.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

HU87 wrote:
Polito wrote:I like how the non-conf is shaping up for the most part... I think 2 is fine for CA, but I'd like to see another Louisiana team on the docket with the LSU trip - plenty of options, Tulane, La Tech, ULL, Nichols St, Mcnesse St...

HU87, all good, love the double-ing down on ST...all in approach eh!! :lol: but I'll take that bet all day long :P , barring the 'I' word which I will not speak, he will not see anywhere near 25 min a game, and won't need to. I'd cut your numbers in half, generally speaking. As I just posted in the recruiting thread, I'm starting to get a gut feeling that TC stays at the 4 w/ST and Cramer backing up (and Green RS).

If so ST will likely see less than 10 a game, esp as Cramer gets worked into the fold, which is just right for his wheelhouse - quick strategic spark / TC relief off the bench. Any impact will be a beautiful bonus, just as it was this year.
Strong points and hard to argue with. If they decide to go 3 guards and TC for the majority of the minutes, my argument dies... I think Eli was a special player for being able to hold that stretch 4 position while undersized... I'm not as confident in TC, but I agree that it's our best line-up if he can be effective there.
Eli played the 3 last year with TC as the 4. TC will most likely slide down to the 3 which is his more natural position. The hope and goal is that Green and Carmer are ready to step in day 1 for a combined 40 minutes at the 4.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:
HU87 wrote:

Eli played the 3 last year with TC as the 4. TC will most likely slide down to the 3 which is his more natural position. The hope and goal is that Green and Carmer are ready to step in day 1 for a combined 40 minutes at the 4.
Well Mathew now you have totally written Trueheart off the page with no minutes. We know he can be a plus but not as a starter anymore. Where do u envision him?
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

I love ST and I really hate saying anything bad about a player but I really don't see minutes for him if Green and Cramer play to their potential. Now maybe Green and Cramer aren't quite as ready as we hope and ST helps bridge that in the beginning of the season.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:I love ST and I really hate saying anything bad about a player but I really don't see minutes for him if Green and Cramer play to their potential. Now maybe Green and Cramer aren't quite as ready as we hope and ST helps bridge that in the beginning of the season.
I'm excited to see Cramers game and know from watching film that Green is a good looking college ready player but even the biggest doubters know that ST is going to get some minutes they may not be a lot but there will be something for him. He got 10.6 last year so even if Green/ Cramer share the 4 and I'm not 100% sold on this ST still has to get some minutes. Why because he brings 3+ years of experience and he's big and can give us help in a game that we are just being oversized since we really are a relatively small team height wise. That of course is my opinion. I just can't believe that he becomes totally expendable.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote: I like how the non-conf is shaping up for the most part... I think 2 is fine for CA, but I'd like to see another Louisiana team on the docket with the LSU trip - plenty of options, Tulane, La Tech, ULL, Nichols St, Mcnesse St...

Do you expect us to be paid for going to the other Louisiana school? Tulane (AAC), La Tech (CUSA), and ULL (Sun Belt) might pay, but Southland teams can't afford to pay others. Nicholls, McNeese, New Orleans, and Southeastern Louisiana are in the Southland. Nicholls and McNeese took "state" out of their names, and ULL took the second L for Lafayette out and became Louisiana, while Louisiana-Monroe remains ULM. What Louisiana did would be like if UNC was originally named UNC-Chapel Hill and took out Chapel Hill. All four of the Southland schools were in the bottom half of the NET. Going to LSU is good for our SOS, but it negates it if we go to LSU and a really bad team. Tulane was last in the AAC, but was still in the top half of the NET. Louisiana was 87th in the NET and Tulane was 168th, but beating Tulane could sound better because they're in a much better conference.

Another way of making a multiple game trip would be going to a team that you fly over when flying to LSU. There are plenty of options in Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Virginia. If you don't want it to be an ACC or SEC team, there are plenty of options in the A10 and other mid-majors:

East Tennessee State
Chattanooga
Belmont
Liberty
Old Dominion
Charlotte
George Mason
Davidson
Richmond
Northern Kentucky
Murray State
Furman
UNC Greensboro
Georgia State
Georgia Southern

I left out Marshall and VCU because we went there in 2018-2019. If you include the midwest that could make the travel time longer taking the sum of roughly perpendicular flights compared to a diagonal, you have plenty of Mid-American and Missouri Valley options, or Cincinnati, Dayton, or Duquesne. If you include northern Florida, North Florida is a possibility. I'm not saying all of them are great choices, but they're better than going to a Southland team.

I'm not saying ST will average 25 minutes, but I think he could average 5 rebounds like somebody said if he played that much. This season he averaged 6.2 rebounds per 25 minutes. I don't think he could average 9 points in 25 minutes like somebody said with the 5 rebounds.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

EvanJ- Can always do a home and home with the other Louisiana team. That is what they did with the CA schools for the UCLA trip.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We did a home-and-home with Cal State Fullerton, but playing at San Diego was part of the Boca Raton Beach Classic. The tournament gave us two games in Boca, which were wins over Holy Cross and Canisius, and two road games, which were losses at San Diego and St. Bonaventure. If you know San Diego will come here, tell me, because I haven't heard that. Even if a school doesn't have to pay us, we should choose a team in an average or better conference over a Southland team that could be bad for our SOS in two seasons. The MAAC, which used to be average, has been much worse. We have the MAAC, Patriot, Northeast (NEC), and America East as bad conferences without going far. The Ivy is average and is close to the CAA, Conference USA, and Sun Belt. If you go farther south, we've played Mid-Eastern Athletic (MEAC) teams Coppin State and North Carolina A&T recently. The conferences we should play the least are weak conferences far away.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

You are correct. I meant just cal state Fullerton and not sure why I used the plural schools.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Oh def fair, I just meant if we're going to LA might as well add another team to the mix within a drivable distance once there. I don't see a 'stopover' on the way as an easier option though, it can be costly and complicated to do that, even for a personal trip.

I'm not against it at all, I just don't think that's cheaper / easier than grabbing another game while in LA already. I would take Tulane, La Tech, ULL / ULM all day though. Just unique games for HU.

But don't get me wrong, I would be ALL for 90% of those teams you mentioned though!!
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status ... 73378?s=20

Interesting tweet above from Rothstein about midmajors being urged to add an extra "guarantee" game because of COVID-19. In general I wish we scheduled more of these games rather than one a season.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yep, saw that before and I like it a bit because this staff needs to be 'forced' a bit toughen up their OOC scheduling. But I will agree w/JM scheduling is def not easy - if JM thought it's been tough before, things are going to get very challenging for mid majors as the big conf go to more league games, so they need to adapt strategy. Sure they are already on this though.

I really hope the days of traveling to play some low major are over - that is so silly to me - you travel to play a big and cash a check to pay for the program and the dept. Just 3 of those every year will fund a large chunk of HU's hoop needs.

It's great that HU is playing LSU, I love it and the $ is awesome... but let's remember CofC played them at HOME - with Ben Simmons - and beat em. Where are our games like that??

As I mentioned I do understand it's challenging, but others in the CAA find a way to do it nearly every year, so its obviously possible, ours just doesn't seem to want to. This needs to change. But at the very least I hoping and expecting to see more strong name / P5 / ranked opponents in next year and beyond.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

UConn Seton Hall and Rutgers should be in our sight every year along with any Philly school
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

What about St Johns, Syracuse and Villanova with Villanova having a special meaning for us and Jay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

triplec2195 wrote:What about St Johns, Syracuse and Villanova with Villanova having a special meaning for us and Jay.

Unfortunately St. John's has refused to play us for over a decade.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraPride1 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:What about St Johns, Syracuse and Villanova with Villanova having a special meaning for us and Jay.

Unfortunately St. John's has refused to play us for over a decade.
Sad but true but all things change and of note is that St Johns played Iona in 12/17 they hadn't played Iona since 95/96 so with our new AD Rick Cole we just may be able to schedule the Johnnies again we'll see if Cole has any pull here. Nobody is talking about playing Iona lets get Iona on the schedule. Anything is better then playing Norfolk State.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

I always thought geographically - talent wise - and use of venue - we are prime to make our own local tourny.

It would consist of 8 teams; from 8 NYS Counties

SUFFOLK - Stoney Brook
STATEN ISLAND - Wagner
NASSAU - Hofstra
MANHATTAN - Manhattan
QUEENS - St Johns.
BRONX - Fordham
BROOKLYN - LIU
WESTCHESTER - Iona

Played over three night/over one week - using the Nassau Coliseum (Wed/Fri); Barclays (Wed/Sun) MSG (Fri/Sun)

Wednesday -
NC- (1) SB vs Wagner; (2) StJ vs Fordham.
Barclays - (3) Hof vs Manhattan; (4) LIU vs Iona

Friday -
MSG - (5) L Wed 1 vs L Wed 2; (6) L Wed 3 vs L Wed 4.
NC - (7) W Wed 1 vs W Wed 2; (8) W Wed 3 vs W Wed 4.

Sunday -
MSG - (9) L Fri 7 vs L Fri 8; (10) W Fri 7 vs W Fri 8.
Barclays - (11) L Fri 5 vs L Fri 6; (12) W Fri 5 vs W Fri 6.

Teams would get to play 3 local team; they get to play in 2 local areas; we'd build some rivalries; players coaches get exposure over a 5 day period - good for alum/GREAT for Basketball junkies!
One outright Big Apple Champion!

It'd be great for rubber stamping this annually into every teams schedule.

I am sure there are holes in my idea - but the premise has merit.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Isnt Manhattan College in the Bronx
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Does NY Tech still have a Manhattan campus
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

How about including Columbia from Manhattan and St. Francis from Brooklyn? Manhattan College is located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx.