Expectations 2019-2020 Men's BB

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Expectations 2019-2020 Men's BB

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:USA Today's CAA preview was written by Kevin Tresolini of the Delaware News Journal. I wonder if that is why Delaware was picked second. They picked:

1. Hofstra
2. Delaware
3. Northeastern
4. Charleston
5. James Madison
6. Drexel
7. Towson
8. William & Mary
9. UNC Wilmington
10 Elon
Can u post a link Evan, was there narrative??
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Joe did his first monthly podcast today and said the team did well vs. Penn yesterday. He singled out Kante, Burgess and Cramer. Said Cramer is an "elite athlete" but then referenced that he did sit out all of last year...maybe he plays this year? He would help us upfront for sure.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:Joe did his first monthly podcast today and said the team did well vs. Penn yesterday. He singled out Kante, Burgess and Cramer. Said Cramer is an "elite athlete" but then referenced that he did sit out all of last year...maybe he plays this year? He would help us upfront for sure.
Thanks for the info. SID so maybe just maybe he plays and would he be higher in the depth chart then Stafford??
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:Joe did his first monthly podcast today and said the team did well vs. Penn yesterday. He singled out Kante, Burgess and Cramer. Said Cramer is an "elite athlete" but then referenced that he did sit out all of last year...maybe he plays this year? He would help us upfront for sure.
Thanks for the info. SID so maybe just maybe he plays and would he be higher in the depth chart then Stafford??
Great interview.
With interviewer knowing and frequently seeing the team; Coach giving his insight and seeing what I saw Sunday morning - I feel that there was truth to what Coach is saying - no blowing smoke in his assessment of the squad.
PG - I am comfortable with Buie and Burgess (I imagine that Burgess will get minutes similar to what Buie got playing behind Green)
SG/SF - EP, JR, TC and OS all can give us points
BIG - Kanye, Truehart (got no mention from coach but assume he didn't scrimmage with the brace he was sporting Sunday)...we are going toned something night in and night out from them to replace Taylor (key to the season)
FRESHMAN - I sa - and noted in a prior post Cramer has the goods, can't imagine that we'll be able to redshirt him - we fight need him this year; Burgess has a nice game.
No mention of Hughes, Schutte or Miranda.
Looking forward to Wednesday -
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

It was an informative interview and I believe the main pieces of the puzzle were alluded to purposely. One remark that we didn't bring up was the comment from Stephen Gorchov about Isaac Kante in that people don't know much about him saying "he's going to have an impact people aren't ready for" he's going to be the "SUPERSTAR" of this team isn't he. Joe deflected this to say he doesn't want to put that on anybody just yet but he's already a Superstar person. A lot of us saw him this past Sunday and he looked impressive but to have this prediction of him is very exciting. I can't wait to see how it all plays out!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote: Can u post a link Evan, was there narrative??
http://onlinestore.usatoday.com/college ... 19665.aspx is a link to buy it for $4.95, but it's not worth it if you only care about the CAA. Off the top of my head, I don't remember how much text there was, and I'm not going to check again to do that. I read the text at a cafeteria without buying it. I wouldn't copy and scan a page because that violates USA Today's right to have people pay to get their content. I do reproduce short things from paid print materials or websites like the order of the teams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvS6XCcaFvQ is the link to Coach Mihalich's aforementioned interview. More people liked it here than on YouTube, where it has 1 like.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:
triplec2195 wrote: Can u post a link Evan, was there narrative??
http://onlinestore.usatoday.com/college ... 19665.aspx is a link to buy it for $4.95, but it's not worth it if you only care about the CAA. Off the top of my head, I don't remember how much text there was, and I'm not going to check again to do that. I read the text at a cafeteria without buying it. I wouldn't copy and scan a page because that violates USA Today's right to have people pay to get their content. I do reproduce short things from paid print materials or websites like the order of the teams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvS6XCcaFvQ is the link to Coach Mihalich's aforementioned interview. More people liked it here than on YouTube, where it has 1 like.
I saw the interview off GOHOFSTRA but was curious as to what the talking points were for us being picked first by USA today. I didn't realize how you came about seeing it Evan, lol. Yeah I wouldn't buy it for $4.95 its bad enough I pay for Newsday!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Great to hear the interview, the season is CLOSE!

I was also taken by surprise to hear JM talk about Cramer as if he was going to start... very interesting. If he's fully healthy, kid has star potential so I could understand it. Just not sure where the minutes will come from with TC poised for a huge Sr year, and I really don't want him wasting a year for a handful of minutes. ST can give adequate backup time, but perhaps they see TC and Cramer splitting the majority of the time?

Glad to get confirmation on the 2 spot that Ray will start - he def deserves it and clearly has the talent, just has to show he can shoulder the bigger FT role. Silverio is a tremendous offensive power with great size, thought he might get the start, but no issue with this rotation - he also has very suspect D and prob needs a year to improve that enough to be a larger contributor - but that kid is going to make an impact on the scoreboard.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Pemba, have been since his recruitment - a very good player, right sized, and a tremendous person. But this isn't about personality or effort, it's about performance. And he played terribly in the CAAT when his team and JWF needed him most. Dem's just the facts. And I'm sure he'd own it. Not sure I understand the 'gets beat up' narrative - he plays the 3, it's a physical spot, and he gives plenty himself with his style of play - he's going against other 3's in the same mold, seems pretty standard to me. Anyhoo, Pemba has high expectations placed on him for a reason, and I have no issue holding him to them. He and Buie are the team leaders this year, time to show out, esp when it really matters and the season is on the line.

JM's insight was pretty much spot on to my assessments (and others around here) - a lot of star power. And the ones not mentioned should be obvious.

I would prob also peg CofC as 1, but really no argument with HU either - those 2 plus NU and UD should be at the top of the league, each with their own merits.

HU's starting lineup is looking very strong this year and next, should have a GREAT shot here at finally getting over the hump - let the games begin!
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

There is a 2019-20 Hofstra preview posted today on the Daly Dose of Hoops website.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

The Shadow wrote:There is a 2019-20 Hofstra preview posted today on the Daly Dose of Hoops website.
Here is the link
http://dalydoseofhoops.blogspot.com/201 ... orite.html
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://www.thehofstrachronicle.com/cat ... -19-season is titled "Men’s basketball looks to build off of historic 2018-19 season." It says "their starting lineup will see Buie at the point, Ray at the guard spot, Pemberton and Coburn playing the forwards with Kante starting down low." Pemberton and Coburn are both G on Hofstra's roster, not G or G/F. It said Pemberton averaged 0.9 blocks last season, but it meant 0.9 steals.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-baske ... rojections has probabilities. It has separate probabilities for the regular season title and CAA Tournament. I don't know if I've ever seen a website give separate probabilities before. For each team, here is their expected CAA record, expected overall record, probability of the regular season, and probability of winning the CAA Tournament:

1. Charleston: 12.0-6.0, 17.7-10.3, 24.5%, 21.8%
2. Northeastern: 12.0-6.0, 17.9-10.1, 25.9%, 22.4%
3. Hofstra: 11.4-6.6, 18.8-11.2, 20.0%, 18.9%
4. Towson: 10.3-7.7, 15.2-12.8, 12.1%, 12.8%
5. William & Mary: 9.5-8.5, 15.8-15.2, 7.3%, 8.7%
6. Delaware: 8.0-10.0, 14.6-16.4, .5%, 4.8%
7. James Madison: 7.9-10.1, 13.6-15.4, 3.4%, 4.4%
8. Drexel: 7.1-10.9, 12.8-17.2, 1.6%, 2.9%
9. UNCW: 6.7-11.3, 2.7-18.3, 1.3%, 2.4%
10. Elon: 5.1-12.9, 9.7-20.3, 0.4%, 0.9%

The records exclude non-Division I games and games against unknown opponents. The math must have worked out that if you used more precision than one decimal place, Charleston would have more CAA wins, even though Northeastern is most likely to win both. They liked William & Mary better than Delaware and James Madison, which is different from other predictions.

In the CAA Tournament, they give us a 95.46% chance at making the Quarterfinals, 61.99% at making the Semifinals, 35.02% at making the Final, and 18.87% at winning the Final.

Here are the probabilities of each CAA Tournament seed followed by the probability of us winning the CAA Tournament if we get that seed. Multiplying the two numbers on each line and adding the ten products gives the 18.87%.

1: 20.0%, 38.3%
2: 19.5%, 25.5%
3: 16.4%, 16.9%
4: 12.7%, 12.3%
5: 10.3%, 9.0%
6: 7.8%, 7.4%
7: 5.7%, 4.3%
8: 4.0%, 2.6%
9: 2.4%, 1.7%
10: 1.2%, 1.0%