Hofstra vs CoC 1/19/19

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Flying Dutchmen

Re: Hofstra vs CoC 1/19/19

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Polito wrote:And call me crazy, but Rok has actually decreased in stock for me due to this year - and this is from a guy who was all about him, incorrectly promoting how he could've and should've been an NBA guy :? hey, win some, lose some.

Don't get me wrong please, I still love value and respect Rok big time, he was a good one for HU. BUT this team is MUCH better without him, and it's not even close. If I got to choose now I'd take JT all day long. Forget Roks FT's which absolutely cost games for HU over the years, it was his non-existent defense that was even worse and prob cost more as it had a monster impact on how teams played HU and how HU had to play in return. Yeah, he rebounded the world, and no doubt he was the best for HU in the modern era - but if he plays this year I'd bet money HU isn't as good. In hindsight to me, he was actually a HUGE liability, moreso than his rebounding produced in positive IMO.

I'm less impressed with Rok than I've ever been. And I still think he was good, but not nearly as much as I did. But hey, that's just me.
I've never agreed with you more.
HU76

Post by HU76 »

ZMAN3 wrote:You guys left out David Taylor in your Center list - Played for HU from '79-83 - Career Avg 17 ppg and 8.7 boards for 4 years including ECC POY his senior season. Shot 53.5 from field and decent 69.6 from line. 1.2 steals and 1.7 blocks!
Good point about David Taylor. Great player. The 82-83 team was solid but one and done in the ECC tournament. I’d still pick Irving and his two NCAA appearances.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

David Taylor was highly recruited coming out of Long Beach HS. I think Ohio State may have been after him.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:David Taylor was highly recruited coming out of Long Beach HS. I think Ohio State may have been after him.
I like bringing Taylor into the conversation and remembering him. He was apparently going to Providence if my memory serves me well. He wound up having to sit out his freshman year for some NCAA B.S. as usual. I believe his(sit out) freshman year was Henry Hollingsworth's senior year. A really good shooting guard from Freeport who transferred in from Hawaii. Henry was quite upset that he wasn't going to play at least one year with Taylor. That's my recollection maybe some of you guys recall something else?? Taylor was a really good get for us I just wish he had a better supporting cast.
garyg

Post by garyg »

I believe Maryland was also in the mix for Taylor
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

triplec2195 wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:David Taylor was highly recruited coming out of Long Beach HS. I think Ohio State may have been after him.
I like bringing Taylor into the conversation and remembering him. He was apparently going to Providence if my memory serves me well. He wound up having to sit out his freshman year for some NCAA B.S. as usual. I believe his(sit out) freshman year was Henry Hollingsworth's senior year. A really good shooting guard from Freeport who transferred in from Hawaii. Henry was quite upset that he wasn't going to play at least one year with Taylor. That's my recollection maybe some of you guys recall something else?? Taylor was a really good get for us I just wish he had a better supporting cast.
Taylor was heavily recruited by Oho State. He decides on Hofstra and is in the dorms the night before classes. Asst Coach Bernard Tomlin is assigned to keep an eye on him as once he goes to class the next day he is ours. That night he is literally stolen from the dorms by Ohio State coaches who enroll him in Pensacola JC in Florida.

Taylor hates it and wants to come home. Hofstra takes him back...thus the NCAA refusing to gran him eligibility for his first year. During the hearings Taylor refers to Pensacola as PEPSI-COLA College!

Great story, two pages that ran in Newsday back then written by Jim Smith.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Question, why wasn’t Ohio State charged by the NCAA with rules violation. If this happened today I don’t think they could get away with it
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Times have changed, it was brought up in the pleadings but the NCAA ruled against Taylor and Hofstra.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
Taylor was heavily recruited by Oho State. He decides on Hofstra and is in the dorms the night before classes. Asst Coach Bernard Tomlin is assigned to keep an eye on him as once he goes to class the next day he is ours. That night he is literally stolen from the dorms by Ohio State coaches who enroll him in Pensacola JC in Florida.

Taylor hates it and wants to come home. Hofstra takes him back...thus the NCAA refusing to gran him eligibility for his first year. During the hearings Taylor refers to Pensacola as PEPSI-COLA College!

I don't necessarily remember the details but great info. SID.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:

Ha! This is unbelievable!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Crazy but TRUE!