MBB Recruits 2019

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Re: MBB Recruits 2019

Post by Cards »

agree zman - I'd love to see more video.

One tidbit - the listing of him at 6'4 was from 2016. More recent stats have him at 6'6" and 6'7". Probably reasonable to assume he's a lean 6'6". Info regarding his jumping and reach likely make him appear to play like a 6'7"-6'8".

OK young man - I'm sure you have a workout plan from HU strength & conditioning coach, as well as specific guidance from JM and staff on what to work on. Now work hard between now and next September and exceed coach's expectations!! **Someone please tell me I'm correct in assuming he has instructions from HU and that we haven't just signed him and now leave him hanging...…. :?: ***
Last edited by Cards on Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:agree zman - I'd love to see more video.

One tidbit - the listing of him at 6'4 was from 2016. More recent stats have him at 6'6" and 6'7". Probably reasonable to assume he's a lean 6'6". Info regarding his jumping and reach likely make him appear to play like a 6'7"-6'8".

OK young man - I'm sure you have workout plan from HU strength & conditioning coach, as well as specific guidance from JM and staff on what to work on. Now work hard between now and next September and exceed coach's expectations!!
Amen to that.
garyg

Post by garyg »

I would like to hear what our coaching staff has to say about Cramer...once a recruit has signed a letter of intent coaches are allowed to comment specifically on players that signed...you would think our staff would want to promote this signing as much as possible as it brings attention to the program and could help with other potential recruits...
Polito

Post by Polito »

Not worried about Cramer's size, he's just fine for the 4 spot, which is where he needs to play. He's prob around 6'6, decent enough weight. He is not a 5, at least not at this level.

My concerns to be proven would be: 1) His full recovery and 2) True 4 spot skill set - meaning, I don't know if he plays that role in H.S. or if he was used more as a post big / center, which would not translate here at all. He needs to be able to slash to the basket, hit a jumper, connect from deep, etc. in addition to the expected rebounding and D capability at that position.

Kante, although on the shorter side, should have the weight and skill set to knock elbows down low - similar to a Roberto Gittens I'm figuring - believe he'll fill in that undersized 5 role well, maybe even the 4 when a heavier option is valuable/required, BUT the team clearly needs a true 6'9/6'10 CAA level starting quality Center in this class for next yr.

Absolutely a must get. Hopefully JT can stay another year, providing even more roster flexibility at the position for next year.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Asked Coach Farrelly about Cramer last night and he said he's a legit 6-6 and a half...said a lot of big schools were after him before his injury and even several afterward.

He said he signed with Hofstra because we "stuck with him" through all the injuries ,etc.

After rehabbing his leg he got, I think he said step and chose not to play his senior year instead working out, building his strength and size, etc.

Farrelly said he's a real good get.
Cards

Post by Cards »

That's really interesting about a guy in high school foregoing his last season to work on his strength and game. Do you think that is 100% true, or is there some injury recovery still going on that made this decision easy?? I wonder.

So next year we will have Cramer, Hughes, and Truehart all vying for time at the 4 spot. In the end, stats would say that one of these guys should end up being a keeper.
garyg

Post by garyg »

HUSID74 wrote:Asked Coach Farrelly about Cramer last night and he said he's a legit 6-6 and a half...said a lot of big schools were after him before his injury and even several afterward.

He said he signed with Hofstra because we "stuck with him" through all the injuries ,etc.

After rehabbing his leg he got, I think he said step and chose not to play his senior year instead working out, building his strength and size, etc.

Farrelly said he's a real good get.
Did he say anything about PG or legitimate 5 ???
Polito

Post by Polito »

Very good feedback HUSID, thank you

Did you mean to say that he got "strep" after rehabbing his leg? If so, that would largely explain the decision to focus on full recovery and college readiness. Just want to confirm that is what you meant...

Like I said, no concern on his size, perfect for the 4.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Polito wrote:Very good feedback HUSID, thank you

Did you mean to say that he got "strep" after rehabbing his leg? If so, that would largely explain the decision to focus on full recovery and college readiness. Just want to confirm that is what you meant...

Polito, yup strep after the rehab....now he's focusing on getting ready for us and next year.

Another tidbit...asked Speedy about point guards and he said we're close...a kid from Atlanta that we have a connection to is VERY close...fingers crossed! I'll leave you to figure out who it is.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I would say its one of these 7 Marquavious Carter, Sharife Cooper ,DJ Murray ,Maurice Harvey, Bryce Latimer, Alex Jones and Dwon Odom.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:I would say its one of these 7 Marquavious Carter, Sharife Cooper ,DJ Murray ,Maurice Harvey, Bryce Latimer, Alex Jones and Dwon Odom.
Geez well that narrows it down. Lol None of these players are shown on VC as being recruited by us. Just sayin.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

The only option on verbal commits is:

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/deivon-smith

Deivon Smith, 2020 PG from Atlanta. I'd assume he'd reclassify/graduate HS early.

He has major, major offers from schools like Florida, Alabama, Georgia and St. Johns....
garyg

Post by garyg »

HUSID74 wrote:
Polito wrote:Very good feedback HUSID, thank you

Polito, yup strep after the rehab....now he's focusing on getting ready for us and next year.

Another tidbit...asked Speedy about point guards and he said we're close...a kid from Atlanta that we have a connection to is VERY close...fingers crossed! I'll leave you to figure out who it is.
Nothing on a 5 ?
Polito

Post by Polito »

Interesting list Stu, where did you come up with that? Any insight here, or your personal wish list?
Cards

Post by Cards »

kind of an odd list - one guy is a 5'8" 2018 grad, another is already committed elsewhere (Xavier), one is a 2020 grad, some guys are not in the verbal commits database????? Clarification please :?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:kind of an odd list - one guy is a 5'8" 2018 grad, another is already committed elsewhere (Xavier), one is a 2020 grad, some guys are not in the verbal commits database????? Clarification please :?
Yeah my research confirms that also but I don't doubt Stu and his crystal ball.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

The top guy according to Speedy is from the Atlanta area...
Polito

Post by Polito »

IF we are going to go with Stu's list, I'll say either Marquavious Carter or Maurice Harvey. Right yr, talent, and I think I could place a connection somewhere.

Rest are either wrong year, or wrong level (i.e. high P5 talent).

But I'm still not sure where Stuey-babes has come up with these names... :)
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Who is our PG next year? Does Buie have another year of eligibility?
Cards

Post by Cards »

DB played in teh first 7 D1 games of the 2016-2017 season. Averaged 15 minutes per game and played in no CAA games.

Basic Qualifications

To qualify for a medical redshirt, a basketball player must sustain an “incapacitating injury or illness.” The injury or illness does not have to be related to basketball, but must take place after the first day of classes in the athlete’s senior year of high school. To gain a medical redshirt for a specific season, the athlete’s illness or injury must occur before the first game of the second half of the team’s schedule. If the team plays an odd number of games, the exact midseason contest is considered part of the second half. For example, if a basketball team plays 25 games, the injury or illness must occur before the start of the team’s 13th game. Games played in postseason tournaments, such as a conference tournament or the NCAA or NIT tournaments, count among the team’s total games played.

Games Played

To gain a medical redshirt, the athlete cannot compete in more than 30 percent of her team’s games within a season, not counting contests officially designated as scrimmages or exhibition games. When such computations are made, fractions are rounded up. For example, if a team plays 27 games, the exact 30 percent mark is 8.1. For the purposes of medical redshirt eligibility, therefore, the player may compete in nine games and still be eligible for a medical redshirt.

Sixth Year

In cases where a player takes a standard, nonmedical redshirt season, then later is granted a medical redshirt, the player has six years in which to complete his four seasons of basketball eligibility.

DB clearly qualified for a medical redshirt.
Regarding JT - does anyone know if he took a non medical redshirt??? If yes, sounds like he could be back next year.