Justin Wright-Foreman declaring for the NBA?

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Justin Wright-Foreman declaring for the NBA?

Post by triplec2195 »

It's hard to believe that there aren't more CAA players in the NBA because a lot of very good players have come out of the CAA. It speaks to how crazy competitive the NBA is. I thought Jenkins found a career in the NBA after beating out Lin for a spot on the Warriors. We all know how that panned out also Jarrett Jack came along putting Jenkins on the bench. I guess the ball players that played on the final four teams of George Mason and VCU had to wind up playing in Europe but there was some good players on both of those teams.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

When George Mason went to the Final Four, their starters were great, but their bench didn't do much. What kept them from being drafted was that they didn't stand out. Senior Jai Lewis led them with 13.7 points per game, and sophomore Folarin Campbell was fifth with 11.0. The only George Mason player to win POY while Hofstra was in the CAA was Ryan Pearson. Pearson is playing for JDA Dijon, who is 4-2 so far this season in the top league in France. Pearson is teammates with David Holston, who scored 2,331 points for Chicago State. He made 450 three-pointers, which is the third most in Division I history. Brett Blizzard has the CAA record with 371. Agudio is second in CAA history with 357.

If the Giants bench Manning and start Kyle Lauletta from Richmond, two CAA quarterbacks could start on the same day, with the other one being Joe Flacco. Elena Delle Donne was third in WNBA MVP Voting, and Justin Verlander will get Cy Young votes.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

where is Larry Sanders these days?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:When George Mason went to the Final Four, their starters were great, but their bench didn't do much. What kept them from being drafted was that they didn't stand out. Senior Jai Lewis led them with 13.7 points per game, and sophomore Folarin Campbell was fifth with 11.0. The only George Mason player to win POY while Hofstra was in the CAA was Ryan Pearson. Pearson is playing for JDA Dijon, who is 4-2 so far this season in the top league in France. Pearson is teammates with David Holston, who scored 2,331 points for Chicago State. He made 450 three-pointers, which is the third most in Division I history. Brett Blizzard has the CAA record with 371. Agudio is second in CAA history with 357.

If the Giants bench Manning and start Kyle Lauletta from Richmond, two CAA quarterbacks could start on the same day, with the other one being Joe Flacco. Elena Delle Donne was third in WNBA MVP Voting, and Justin Verlander will get Cy Young votes.
Thanks for doing the research Evan I had no idea who played for those final four CAA teams but it might have been the scenario that the whole was greater then the sum of its parts. I was puzzled as to why you mentioned Justin Verlander I didn't realize he played for Old Dominion.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

cactus wrote:where is Larry Sanders these days?
dont think he's on a NBA roster - had some mental health issues last I remember reading
he was a beast with VCU
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

daHUPride wrote:
cactus wrote: where is Larry Sanders these days?
dont think he's on a NBA roster - had some mental health issues last I remember reading
he was a beast with VCU
http://www.flyingdutchmenfans.com/viewt ... f=4&t=1604 is a topic I started about him.
triplec2195 wrote: Thanks for doing the research Evan I had no idea who played for those final four CAA teams but it might have been the scenario that the whole was greater then the sum of its parts.
Did you watch Hofstra in 2005-2006? All five of George Mason's starters played from 1,065 to 1,117 minutes. Gabe Norwood played 737 minutes and was the only bench player who played 40 percent as many minutes as the starters. Here were their starters, with all ranks being within their team, and all references to Hofstra being for that season:

Senior forward Jai Lewis led them in scoring with 13.7 and rebounding with 7.8. He shot field goals .523, which 86.8 percent of his attempts being twos. He shot free throws .651. Hofstra and George Mason both struggled shooting free throws. He made 0.5 three-pointers per game. He had 1.4 steals, which is good for a forward.

Senior guard Tony Skinn was second in scoring with 12.6 and second in assists with 2.8. He didn't shoot field goals well, including making just over a third of his threes. He led in free throw percentage at .802. His 1.18 assist/turnover ratio was not good for a player who was second on his team in assists. He led in steals with 1.6, and he broke the CAA record for steals in a game with 9, which UNCW's Craig Ponder tied in 2015-2016. He had only 1 blocked shot, which is hard to do even if you stay away from the basket. He had about the same percentage of his field goal attempts be threes as Agudio and Rivera. Agudio blocked 3 shots and Rivera blocked 4.

Senior guard Lamar Butler was third in scoring with 11.9 and third in assists with 2.2. He shot twos and threes better than Skinn, but Skinn scored more because he had 71 more free throw attempts. Butler attempted only 60 free throws. The fewest free throws by a Hofstra starter was 83 by Kieza. Butler had only 2.4 rebounds, which was sixth behind the other starters and sub Sammy Hernandez, who played 35 percent as many minutes as Butler. He had 0.9 steals and 0.2 blocked shots.

Sophomore forward Will Thomas was fourth in scoring with 11.8 and second in rebounding with 7.2. He had a .580 field goal percentage. He attempted 1 three after not attempting any as a freshman. He had a horrible .516 free throw percentage, which was a little better than Uter's .509. He led with 0.7 blocked shots, but it was close. He, Lewis, Folarin Campbell (see below), and sixth man Gabe Norwood all had 23 to 26 blocked shots. He finished with 993 career rebounds, which is tenth in CAA history, and he ranked higher when he graduated. He made his only three as a senior. He was on the First Team as a senior.

Sophomore guard Folarin Campbell was the point guard and led with 3.4 assists. His assist/turnover ratio was only 1.17. He was fifth in scoring with 11.0. He attempted fewer threes than the other two starting guards and had the highest field goal percentage of the three of them at .491. He shot twos well and shot threes .343. He was third in rebounding with 4.2 and second in blocked shots with 0.7, with a lower exact value than Thomas's 0.7. His .761 free throw percentage was second.

George Mason had balance in shooting threes. All eight players who made a three shot threes from .339 to .400. .400 was 8 out of 20 made by sub Tim Burns, who scored 36 points. The four starters other than Thomas shot threes .339 to .378, with Butler shooting .378.
Last edited by EvanJ on Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Evan just an f/y/i I did watch Hofstra back then and plenty over the years going back to 1975. In 2005-2006 I was self employed working 80-90 hours a week so I do remember Tony Skinn and his cheap shots at Stokes. Also remember Jai Lewis but not the other players as much. They had plenty of balance as far as their offense and obviously success speaks for itself because its no easy task making it to the Final Four. The teams they beat to get there unbelievable. But there will be a lot of people still asking the question on How Hofstra beat them twice that year and knocked them out of the CAA playoffs?? I know Hofstra had a good team but if HU had gone to the dance as an at large team where would we have wound up?? Food for thought!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

In 2005-2006, George Mason had the 21st fewest points per game allowed, so they didn't need an elite offense. In the BracketBusters, Hofstra beat a bad Siena team, and George Mason won at Wichita State. If George Mason had beaten Siena instead, they might not have gotten in.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:In 2005-2006, George Mason had the 21st fewest points per game allowed, so they didn't need an elite offense. In the BracketBusters, Hofstra beat a bad Siena team, and George Mason won at Wichita State. If George Mason had beaten Siena instead, they might not have gotten in.
Yes good point and 20/20 hindsight speaks volumes so I'll ask it again How would we have done in the NCAA tourney that year??
Captain

Post by Captain »

Other CAA players in the NBA include kent Bazemore ODU...still playing and Eric Maynor VCU and Jose Barrea from Northeastern. I am sure there are a boatload of other CAA players playing pro all over the world.
Players graduate (hopefully) with an undergraduate degree and can make 6 figure incomes and more doing something they love and do well.
I suspect Charles Jenkins has made some good money, gained international basketball and life experience and perhaps is still living a dream even if not in the NBA. It would be nice to hear his reflections on his basketball life. I hope he maintains his connection to the program. He is a gem of a HU product and I hope in the future the program embraces him again.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote:
EvanJ wrote: In 2005-2006, George Mason had the 21st fewest points per game allowed, so they didn't need an elite offense. In the BracketBusters, Hofstra beat a bad Siena team, and George Mason won at Wichita State. If George Mason had beaten Siena instead, they might not have gotten in.
Yes good point and 20/20 hindsight speaks volumes so I'll ask it again How would we have done in the NCAA tourney that year??
I'm guessing we would have lost our first game. In my bracket, I picked 9 seed UNC Wilmington to win and 11 seed George Mason to lose. I was wrong both times. The way for Hofstra to show they belonged in the NCAA Tournament was to win the NIT with its Final Four near Hofstra. Hofstra won two games and then lost hosting Old Dominion, who was much worse than any team seeded 1 to 8 in the NCAA Tournament.
Captain wrote: Other CAA players in the NBA include kent Bazemore ODU...still playing and Eric Maynor VCU and Jose Barrea from Northeastern. I am sure there are a boatload of other CAA players playing pro all over the world.
I don't remember if it was in this topic, but I recently posted about active NBA players who played in the CAA for more than one year. Bazemore did that, but Maynor hasn't played in the NBA since 2014, and Barea only played one year in the CAA. I'm shocked that Briante Weber reached the NBA after averaging only 6.8 points per game for VCU. He played in the CAA for one year before they left. R.J. Hunter of Georgia State also played one year in the CAA before his school left. Weber and Hunter played in the NBA in 2017-2018 but not 2018-2019. Damion Lee, who played three years at Drexel and one at Louisville, is in the NBA. Bazemore is the only player who has played in the NBA this year, played more than one year in the CAA, and had his last college year be in the CAA.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I'm with you on us losing in the 1st round because its all about matchups but its a moot issue. As far as Hofstra going to the quarterfinals of the NIT and losing to Old Dominion that was painful. It looked like we were on a roll to possibly win this thing which would have been nice to add to our resume. I have scores in front of me so we beat OD twice that year in close games. Then we only scored 51 points in the NIT game losing by 10 at home after averaging almost 73 points a game. Off day or them playing lock down defense?
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote: Damion Lee, who played three years at Drexel and one at Louisville, is in the NBA
Happy to see Lee, a former great CAA player on playing on ESPN for the Warriors tonight, but annoys me to see that he's doing that after being undrafted while Charles Jenkins, a better CAA player and drafted 44th by the Warriors, has been in Europe.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Wags wrote:
EvanJ wrote: Damion Lee, who played three years at Drexel and one at Louisville, is in the NBA
Happy to see Lee, a former great CAA player on playing on ESPN for the Warriors tonight, but annoys me to see that he's doing that after being undrafted while Charles Jenkins, a better CAA player and drafted 44th by the Warriors, has been in Europe.
Agree! Charles should be in the NBA.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:
Wags wrote:
Agree! Charles should be in the NBA.
I think he was good enough to be, and I think he showed it when he had the opportunities with Golden State, but for whatever reason, Mark Jackson just didn't like him and then he was just the odd man out at an already competitive PG position at the time in Philly, so it was on to Europe. But again, if Lee can be in the league, Charles can't? Not buying it.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

In the last three complete seasons and so far this season, Kent Bazemore is averaging more points in the NBA than his career average at Old Dominion. Jenkins averaged almost double Bazemore in college while having three seasons in common. Bazemore graduated a year later.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:In the last three complete seasons and so far this season, Kent Bazemore is averaging more points in the NBA than his career average at Old Dominion. Jenkins averaged almost double Bazemore in college while having three seasons in common. Bazemore graduated a year later.
Some guys take to the NBA game better and blossom there more than what they showed would while in college. Bazemore is one, guys like Kyle Kuzma or Donovan Mitchell are others. I think Charles would have only improved in the NBA if given the chance.
Polito

Post by Polito »

LOVE this... great for JWF, he's earned every bit of it, and super to hear that Eli is getting some looks - he's got better height obviously, and could potentially do well at the next level as he continues to develop his game

Next season will be a HUGE opp for him to showcase his leader talent and take over top dog spot

And all of this is awesome for HU, and this staff best be using it to their MAX recruiting advantage - get those star C and PG studs in the boat!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Has anyone seen JWF mentioned in any mock drafts for 2019?