MBB Recruits 2018

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: MBB Recruits 2018

Post by triplec2195 »

daHUPride wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:More..........3 PF Tory Miller-Stewart SR 6-9 246 Yes Colorado and 3 PF Josh Martin RS JR 6-8 212 Yes Cal Poly and 2.3 PF Eugene Artison RS JR 6-9 202 Yes Tulsa and the lists go on and on.
how about this recent add to immediately eligible "big" transfers - Marcel Pettway F/C Bryant University 6'5" 250lbs - averaged 10 ppg 8 rpg - from Providence RI. Cant find anything - but looks he might have been hurting 2017-18 and would give the team he hooks up 2 seasons.
This is from Bryant's website;
As a sophomore
College Sports Madness Preseason All-NEC Third Team ... One of three players to appear in all 32 games, earning 31 starts in 2016-17 ... Led the team on the glass, ranking ninth on the league circuit with 6.5 rebounds per game ... Ranked second in the NEC and led the Bulldogs in shooting percentage, hitting 58.1 percent of his shots from the floor (140-241) ... Ranked third on the team in scoring, averaging 10.3 points per game ... Registered double-digit points 17 times with two 20+-point outings ... Posted five double-digit rebound games ... Led the team on the glass in 12 outings ... Dished out 48 assists with 13 blocks and 32 steals.

As a freshman
NEC Rookie of the Year ... NEC All-Rookie Team selection ... Five-time NEC Rookie of the Week ... ECAC Rookie of the Week ... Appeared 30 games and earned starting nods in 24 of them, including the final 22 games of the year ... Became the second freshman in program history to earn NEC Rookie of the Year honors ... Averaged 11.4 points and 7.0 rebounds per game to rank fourth and first among NEC rookies, respectively ... Registered the fifth-most double-doubles in the league with eight, including a career high of 26 points at Fairleigh Dickinson on Jan. 4 to go along with 11 rebounds ... Shot 59.7 percent from the floor in 2015-16, ranking third in the conference and it was the fifth-highest shooting percentage for a single season in program history ... Led Bryant in scoring seven times, in rebounding 14 times, had four 20+ point games and scored in double-figures 14 times.

To be honest I didn't know what conference Bryant played in and where the school was. This kid although bulky is awfully short for a PF/C position but I assume he plays large and had decent numbers for a bad team in a weak conference. He doesn't shoot the three and shoots around 55% from the charity stripe. Certainly a possibility.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

3 C Connor MacDougall SR 6-9 240 Yes New Mexico Jon Rothstein. This kid just transferred to Utah Valley which is in the WAC conference. Too bad but would have been a nice acquisition.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Anyone out there have any info. on who we're trying to get a commit from?? I don't like the sound of Crickets please tell me we are about to seal the deal on another big that has legit. credentials.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

UMass center Hines is still out there I believe. He is 6ft9 and 240
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

We don't have nearly as much playing time to use as a selling tactic to recruits now. I have no inside knowledge but I would guess we shouldn't be expecting another Taylor or similar level of player.

Injuries are always a concern but as of now we essentially have the following (give or take a few minutes here or there):
EP & JWF to average 35 minutes each
DB & KW to combine for 30 minutes
JR & TC to average 15 minutes each (maybe more but where will they come from)
ST & MR to combine for 30 minutes
JT to average 25 minutes

That leaves 15 minutes left and you have Kevin Schutte and Hal Hughes to potentially battle for those minutes.

Depending on what the staff thinks of Schutte and Hughes readiness it may make sense to just try and grab a player that needs to sit out or a player to redshirt his freshman year. If Hughes is going to redshirt and Schutte isn't developing then the staff still needs to grab the Sabety replacement.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HofstraMathew wrote:We don't have nearly as much playing time to use as a selling tactic to recruits now. I have no inside knowledge but I would guess we shouldn't be expecting another Taylor or similar level of player.

Injuries are always a concern but as of now we essentially have the following (give or take a few minutes here or there):
JT to average 25 minutes

That leaves 15 minutes left and you have Kevin Schutte and Hal Hughes to potentially battle for those minutes.

Depending on what the staff thinks of Schutte and Hughes readiness it may make sense to just try and grab a player that needs to sit out or a player to redshirt his freshman year. If Hughes is going to redshirt and Schutte isn't developing then the staff still needs to grab the Sabety replacement.
those are fair estimates of playing time - but my expectations are slightly different - I dont think JAM plays 9 players getting that many minutes each - I would love for him to use a deep bench that runs guys in more frequently/ presses on D/ gives different looks/different match ups - but I dont see it happening based on prior JAM teams. My guess is in the back court JFW, EP, DB and JR get slightly more minutes that you estimate/ KW gets less/ TC get what you predict. In the front court - I am guessing that JT and ST get a combined 50 minutes and MR, KS and HH battling to get any extra minutes (if there are any).
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

daHUPride wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote:We don't have nearly as much playing time to use as a selling tactic to recruits now. I have no inside knowledge but I would guess we shouldn't be expecting another Taylor or similar level of player.

JT to average 25 minutes

those are fair estimates of playing time - but my expectations are slightly different - I dont think JAM plays 9 players getting that many minutes each - I would love for him to use a deep bench that runs guys in more frequently/ presses on D/ gives different looks/different match ups - but I dont see it happening based on prior JAM teams. My guess is in the back court JFW, EP, DB and JR get slightly more minutes that you estimate/ KW gets less/ TC get what you predict. In the front court - I am guessing that JT and ST get a combined 50 minutes and MR, KS and HH battling to get any extra minutes (if there are any).
I don't disagree; but essentially you come to the same conclusion. Not many minutes left for any potential recruits.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

JT to average 25 minutes

Mathew u r certainly making valid points here about playing time. It could very well be that EP & JWF could be playing more then 35 each since they did just that in conference play last year however with JR having proven himself as a freshman and Coburn with a decent resume they could cut into the minutes for Justin and Eli. Obviously more Eli then Justin. IDK if u can assume that Taylor will be able to play 25 minutes a game and we have to hope he doesn't get re-injured. If we pin our hopes on Taylor and he gets re-injured we'll be in big trouble if we don't have another 4/5 other then Schutte. Whoever we're recruiting at this stage whether it be a transfer or possibly a H.S. kid is not going to expect to get big minutes. A lot of these kids who transfer were playing behind other players so more then likely would be thrilled getting possibly 20 minutes a game. If Taylor gets hurt we need to be ready to have someone at the 4/5 to be able to play major minutes and not being privy to where Schutte's game is we need to have a solid backup at this position. Jalen was averaging 23 minutes last year and certainly I can't see him going down to 15 minutes if anything he could be playing more. ST last year 17 and MR 9. ST could wind up with more minutes. Maybe KW would wind up getting his minutes reduced. It's a real chess game and quality of play and injuries factor into this big time.
I'm still feeling strongly that we get another quality big to divide time with Taylor and act as an insurance policy for a worse case scenario!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:UMass center Hines is still out there I believe. He is 6ft9 and 240
I originally brought up the availability of this kid and what a catch he would be. He was playing 27 minutes a game last year and averaging around 9 points. He started 32 of the 33 games he played. I wouldn't hold my breath on this kid probably a lot of interest going in his direction.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HofstraMathew wrote:
daHUPride wrote:

JT to average 25 minutes

yes - i agree- not many minutes to sell any recruit on
I don't disagree; but essentially you come to the same conclusion. Not many minutes left for any potential recruits.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

If Taylor is healthy he's obviously going to get the bulk of the minutes.
Honestly there isn't much left that's reasonable for them to recruit to play here on the grad transfer/juco lists - it was pretty dire when they had minutes to sell.
They do need some depth though in the middle, and probably have a better shot at recruiting a high school big who they can develop, if they can find one.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Memo to coaching staff: Boubacar Diakite just announced he is leaving St. Johns.....GO GET HIM!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:Memo to coaching staff: Boubacar Diakite just announced he is leaving St. Johns.....GO GET HIM!
Yes on the wish list but has to sit out. I just saw this kid out of S. Mississippi 6'7" 248 lbs. could be a plug n play for us with 2 years of eligibility left due to injuries etc. 2 PF Eddie Davis III RS SO 6-7 248 Yes Southern Miss. He averaged a little over 5 pts. playing 15 minutes. Also still seeing 20 kids per V/C still UN-committed and some of these kids are 3 star players coming out of H.S.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

triplec2195 wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:Memo to coaching staff: Boubacar Diakite just announced he is leaving St. Johns.....GO GET HIM!
Yes on the wish list but has to sit out. I just saw this kid out of S. Mississippi 6'7" 248 lbs. could be a plug n play for us with 2 years of eligibility left due to injuries etc. 2 PF Eddie Davis III RS SO 6-7 248 Yes Southern Miss. He averaged a little over 5 pts. playing 15 minutes. Also still seeing 20 kids per V/C still UN-committed and some of these kids are 3 star players coming out of H.S.
The St. John's kid red shirted last year due to injury....he might be go to go right away and he gives us four years....nice!
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID74 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
The St. John's kid red shirted last year due to injury....he might be go to go right away and he gives us four years....nice!

Chatter indicated that it was quite a serious injury. But if he is really a 4 star guy, probably worth taking a chance even if he is not 100% yet.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This could be an interesting prospect looking for a place where he can get minutes and not watch it from the bench. He basically is a Trueheart type player with similar size and the fact that he played ball on Long Island might give us a foot in the door?? I didn't realize he's eligible right away.
garyg

Post by garyg »

We do not have a shot at the St. John's kid....even with serious injury he will end up at big time program
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

garyg wrote:We do not have a shot at the St. John's kid....even with serious injury he will end up at big time program
Never say never!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:
garyg wrote:We do not have a shot at the St. John's kid....even with serious injury he will end up at big time program
Never say never!
At least show some optimism if we can get a transfer from the Big Ten we certainly can get a transfer from the Big East. This kid graduated in 2016 and has been redshirted since due to injuries I believe. If he plays here we will find minutes for him and help him rehab. I don't think we need to be the prognosticators of doom and we might be assuming a lot here that we even reach out to him. I think Gary is right about going to a big time program but the injury might have changed the scenario here. He was recruited by Seton Hall, Rutgers and UCONN but will he play at any of those schools considering he wasn't going to play much at St Johns?? Keep the faith.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Fantastic! You should be a motivational speaker. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: