MBB Recruits 2019

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
The Shadow

Re: MBB Recruits 2019

Post by The Shadow »

Red shirting Cramer makes sense now. Let him get healthy and stronger. Can anyone remember an NCAA ruling in HU's favor recently?
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

The Shadow wrote:Red shirting Cramer makes sense now. Let him get healthy and stronger. Can anyone remember an NCAA ruling in HU's favor recently?
Yes, Deion Nesmith got an extra year.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

They hired lawyers to represent him according to Dions father
garyg

Post by garyg »

As I have been saying all along if Silverio is eligible Cramer and Miranda will redshirt
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Why did Silverio get a waiver? What is the basis for this decision? The news release does not say.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I forgot about the extra year for Nesmith, but that was a few seasons ago. Can anyone think if there has been any other favorable rulings in HU's favor?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

The Shadow wrote:I forgot about the extra year for Nesmith, but that was a few seasons ago. Can anyone think if there has been any other favorable rulings in HU's favor?
OK I'll bring this up but it has negative connotations but one of the kids from the basketball scandal Stokes filed for hardship transferring from Hawaii and that was granted. That didn't turn out too well!!
It's really good news about Silverio's status but what r we basing the comment about his defense on?? Not questioning this just curious. Also all this constant talk about redshirts has anyone seen any of these kids practicing in the gym or heard anything concrete about redshirts this year?? We assumed all along that Cramer was redshirting because of his injury so this wouldn't come as a shock but it doesn't appear to be etched in stone just yet.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Jojogunne wrote:Why did Silverio get a waiver? What is the basis for this decision? The news release does not say.
I believe personal reasons to be closer to his family. I assume it won't be disclosed (or even leaked out) since it is personal and doesn't really matter from a basketball perspective.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

triplec2195 wrote:
The Shadow wrote:I forgot about the extra year for Nesmith, but that was a few seasons ago. Can anyone think if there has been any other favorable rulings in HU's favor?
OK I'll bring this up but it has negative connotations but one of the kids from the basketball scandal Stokes filed for hardship transferring from Hawaii and that was granted. That didn't turn out too well!!
It's really good news about Silverio's status but what r we basing the comment about his defense on?? Not questioning this just curious. Also all this constant talk about redshirts has anyone seen any of these kids practicing in the gym or heard anything concrete about redshirts this year?? We assumed all along that Cramer was redshirting because of his injury so this wouldn't come as a shock but it doesn't appear to be etched in stone just yet.
His defense was actually brought up by the coaches...not to say it won't improve but this was a comment during a summer practice...and yes I've been to a summer practice and I've seen everyone play...there is no basis to the comment about Miranda red-shirting...have not heard that at all
garyg

Post by garyg »

With current roster I do not see Miranda getting much PT next season...rather then waste an entire season he may be better off red shirting and using that year to work on his game and get stronger...but SID...you saw him at summer practice...how did he look ??...also what players stood out at summer practice ??
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

HofstraMathew wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:Why did Silverio get a waiver? What is the basis for this decision? The news release does not say.
I believe personal reasons to be closer to his family. I assume it won't be disclosed (or even leaked out) since it is personal and doesn't really matter from a basketball perspective.
But it's so unusual for a player to receive a waiver like this.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

garyg wrote:With current roster I do not see Miranda getting much PT next season...rather then waste an entire season he may be better off red shirting and using that year to work on his game and get stronger...but SID...you saw him at summer practice...how did he look ??...also what players stood out at summer practice ??
Yeah SID I'm as curious as Gary as to what your initial impressions are of these players and the team as a whole??
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Ok here we go! Attended practice July 15. The entire roster of players were on the court...except Pemberton did not do much as I believe he was just getting over lasik eye surgery and KVonn Cramer did not participate in scrimmages...he had a very large knee brace on.

Overall evaluation...impressed with the athleticism of the team. Now for individual impressions.

Coburn-Really impressive physically certainly looks bigger and stronger very active and aggressive

Ray---Looked about the same was shooting real well

Buie---About the same physically, had some real trouble getting his shot off against a much bigger and stronger Burgess (more on him to follow)

Schutte---Looked good, in good shape, added some muscle, was very active, added a little jump hook...hit it a couple of times

Hughes---Did not see much playing time, seems to have filled out a bit, is clearly the TALLEST player on the team

Kante---A beast, unstoppable inside, always showed a nice little hook shot inside...clearly a step or two above the rest of our big guys

Silverio---A real scorer, can shoot the three and drive to the basket. I believe he will be a real factor for us...gives us some real punch off the bench or may start ahead of Ray, he's that good

Burgess---the real deal long and has a good body for a freshman, gave Buie fits, can shoot and handle, pass the ball, really excited about him

Miranda---Young but very athletic, looks good on the court and is a true 6-4, think he was having some trouble with English

Overall was surprised how quiet Buie was, might just be the day...Pemberton was trying to assert himself during timeouts, play stoppages but as he was not on the court not sure how that will play out...overall very athletic, long, but think we could still use an experienced back up inside...this team would have been AWESOME if Jacquil was back...Oh well!
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To HUSID74, Thanks for the detailed report. It sounds very encouraging for a summer practice. It seems like the scoring will be distributed among quite a few players. I am still concerned about the rebounding and the interior defense. Any information on the open assistant coach position?
garyg

Post by garyg »

Thanks SID...appreciate the info...
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

The Shadow wrote:To HUSID74, Thanks for the detailed report. It sounds very encouraging for a summer practice. It seems like the scoring will be distributed among quite a few players. I am still concerned about the rebounding and the interior defense. Any information on the open assistant coach position?
Nope have heard nothing.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

When is practice?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:Ok here we go! Attended practice July 15. The entire roster of players were on the court...except Pemberton did not do much as I believe he was just getting over lasik eye surgery and KVonn Cramer did not participate in scrimmages...he had a very large knee brace on.

Overall evaluation...impressed with the athleticism of the team. Now for individual impressions.

Coburn-Really impressive physically certainly looks bigger and stronger very active and aggressive

Buie---About the same physically, had some real trouble getting his shot off against a much bigger and stronger Burgess (more on him to follow)

Schutte---Looked good, in good shape, added some muscle, was very active, added a little jump hook...hit it a couple of times

Hughes---Did not see much playing time, seems to have filled out a bit, is clearly the TALLEST player on the team

Kante---A beast, unstoppable inside, always showed a nice little hook shot inside...clearly a step or two above the rest of our big guys

Silverio---A real scorer, can shoot the three and drive to the basket. I believe he will be a real factor for us...gives us some real punch off the bench or may start ahead of Ray, he's that good

Burgess---the real deal long and has a good body for a freshman, gave Buie fits, can shoot and handle, pass the ball, really excited about him

Miranda---Young but very athletic, looks good on the court and is a true 6-4, think he was having some trouble with English

Overall was surprised how quiet Buie was, might just be the day...Pemberton was trying to assert himself during timeouts, play stoppages but as he was not on the court not sure how that will play out...overall very athletic, long, but think we could still use an experienced back up inside...this team would have been AWESOME if Jacquil was back...Oh well!
Thanks for the info. SID very informative. Do you feel that Cramer will sit out the season?? I think you're speaking volumes when you talk about Silverio possibly starting ahead of Ray. This would be quite a shocker. We all have heard about Burgess and his play against prominent high school guards going to bigger schools. So its quite possible he could earn himself some serious minutes. You didn't say anything about Trueheart. What is the projection for him this year??
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To triplec2195, Thanks for the reminder, I also completely forgot about Stokes. The last year of Coach Mo's tenure at HU was such a disappointment and embarrassment, that I try not to remember any of the details of these bad seasons that hurt HU for a few years until Coach Joe could Wright the ship.
garyg

Post by garyg »

HUSID74 wrote:Ok here we go! Attended practice July 15. The entire roster of players were on the court...except Pemberton did not do much as I believe he was just getting over lasik eye surgery and KVonn Cramer did not participate in scrimmages...he had a very large knee brace on.

Yeah...any word on Trueheart ???