MBB Recruits 2019

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
daHUPride

Re: MBB Recruits 2019

Post by daHUPride »

Recently announced - 6'7" BU transferring Tyler Scanlon - a former HU recruit - 1 year left to play and immediately eligible.
Not perfect fit - but had some nice numbers at BU.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

daHUPride wrote:Recently announced - 6'7" BU transferring Tyler Scanlon - a former HU recruit - 1 year left to play and immediately eligible.
Not perfect fit - but had some nice numbers at BU.
A good looking player but if we're looking for a post player he's not it at 6'7". He had nice numbers in his junior year at BU ; Averaged team-high 3.3 apg (10th in PL) and 1.4 spg (5th in PL) with 13.8 ppg (t-13th), 5.0 rpg (16th) and 33.5 mpg (7th) ... Also shot 46.2 FG% (15th), 80.0 FT% and 34.2 3FG%. I hope we have someone in the fold since we don't have much presence down low unless KS surprises everyone!
garyg

Post by garyg »

Let's hope for surprises from KS and HH....
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

What's the scoop here guys? Things have been quiet. Right now I have two questions what's the status of Jermaine Miranda and where is our last scholarship going? Does anyone have any updated info.??
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:What's the scoop here guys? Things have been quiet. Right now I have two questions what's the status of Jermaine Miranda and where is our last scholarship going? Does anyone have any updated info.??
as well as status of Silverio for next season?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:What's the scoop here guys? Things have been quiet. Right now I have two questions what's the status of Jermaine Miranda and where is our last scholarship going? Does anyone have any updated info.??
Thanks Cards yes Silverio could be an important part of this team this year!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:
Cards wrote:
Thanks Cards yes Silverio could be an important part of this team this year!
short of a last minute pulling a rabbit out of our hats - I think we are going into the season with what we got now.
Keante is a big plus - but with a Taylor-like or Dwyer-ish type of player being added we are banking on KS or HH being part of frontline rotation.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

[quote="daHUPride"][quote="triplec2195"][quote="Cards"][quote="triplec2195"]What's the scoop here guys? Things have been quiet. Right now I have two questions what's the status of Jermaine Miranda and where is our last scholarship going? Does anyone have any updated info.??[/quote]

as well as status of Silverio for next season?[/quote]

Thanks Cards yes Silverio could be an important part of this team this year![/quote]

short of a last minute pulling a rabbit out of our hats - I think we are going into the season with what we got now.
Keante is a big plus - but with a Taylor-like or Dwyer-ish type of player being added we are banking on KS or HH being part of frontline rotation.[/quote]

I would be surprised if they don't properly back up Kante. That would be a big mistake IMO!
garyg

Post by garyg »

Lets hope for the following :

1] Silverio is eligible for next season and is as good as advertised.

2] KS and HH have shown staff in practices/workouts that they can seriously contribute next season

3] we pickup a quality transfer in coming months with 13th scholarship even though he will most likely have to sit out next season...
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

garyg wrote:Lets hope for the following :

2] KS and HH have shown staff in practices/workouts that they can seriously contribute next season

3] we pickup a quality transfer in coming months with 13th scholarship even though he will most likely have to sit out next season...
I'm with you on this Gary with one caveat in that we need a transfer who can play right away in the post. I don't want to pin our hopes on unknowns like HH and KS. We got a small peak at Schutte last year and he seems like a guy who has less skills then Andre Walker and looked very unpolished. A player like him will only improve but how high is the ceiling for him. We need a grad transfer who's eligible right away or a H.S. kid who de-commits. We need to be a bit lucky.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Hard to sell a Grad or eligible transfer on a backup role - maybe 10 mins a game - unless they can play the 4 also
garyg

Post by garyg »

triplec2195 wrote:
garyg wrote:Lets hope for the following :

I'm with you on this Gary with one caveat in that we need a transfer who can play right away in the post. I don't want to pin our hopes on unknowns like HH and KS. We got a small peak at Schutte last year and he seems like a guy who has less skills then Andre Walker and looked very unpolished. A player like him will only improve but how high is the ceiling for him. We need a grad transfer who's eligible right away or a H.S. kid who de-commits. We need to be a bit lucky.
Not sure who is left out there that can make contributions next season ???
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Right now it looks like we are standing pat on the roster for next year unless, "Something really interesting comes along," Also chatted with Silverio and he is "hopeful" that he will be eligible this year....and FYI, Coburn looks HUGE...in great shape as does Kante...very encouraging1
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:Right now it looks like we are standing pat on the roster for next year unless, "Something really interesting comes along," Also chatted with Silverio and he is "hopeful" that he will be eligible this year....and FYI, Coburn looks HUGE...in great shape as does Kante...very encouraging1
This is good to hear. I don’t want to have unreasonable expectations post JWF BUT we should have a solid competitive team.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

So where are we going to get JWF's 26.8 ppg?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:So where are we going to get JWF's 26.8 ppg?
That's a question I have posed many times here??
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Defense wins championships
dutchalum01

MBB Recruits 2019

Post by dutchalum01 »

Look. Plain and simple, JWF = one of Hofstra’s GOAT. However, we did not win a championship with him. One guy cannot do it all, just as with the new team, one guy cannot do it all. Ray, Buie, Pem and Cobourn will all be better - Buie should have his best year yet, kid has improved year over year. Ray, same thing, Cobourn with a solid year under his belt will be improved. Add a capable center along with Kante and this team should for all practical purposes be as good if not better than last years team. If, JWF had one additional year, I would be more confident than any other Hofstra team that this upcoming team would be dancing. Our guard play should absolutely light up the CAA - even without #3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

dutchalum01 wrote:Look. Plain and simple, JWF = one of Hofstra’s GOAT. However, we did not win a championship with him. One guy cannot do it all, just as with the new team, one guy cannot do it all. Ray, Buie, Pem and Cobourn will all be better - Buie should have his best year yet, kid has improved year over year. Ray, same thing, Cobourn with a solid year under his belt will be improved. Add a capable center along with Kante and this team should for all practical purposes be as good if not better than last years team. If, JWF had one additional year, I would be more confident than any other Hofstra team that this upcoming team would be dancing. Our guard play should absolutely light up the CAA - even without #3.

Well said dutch, just about everyone on the floor will be better than last year; the returning starters. Kante will be more productive than Taylor, Ray cannot not be expected to score like Justin but I see him giving us 12-15 points, if Silverio plays he can give us 10 or so points and the backups will be better too. Last year we essentially had no back up PG, this year we have Burgess...Up front hopefully we can get 5-7 points from the three headed back up of Trueheart, Schutte, and Hughes. In the backcourt we will have Miranda, hopefully Silverio and as I already mentioned Burgess....we may even have Kramer...there is no official word as to whether he will be red-shirting yet.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HUSID74 wrote:
dutchalum01 wrote:Look. Plain and simple, JWF = one of Hofstra’s GOAT. However, we did not win a championship with him. One guy cannot do it all, just as with the new team, one guy cannot do it all. Ray, Buie, Pem and Cobourn will all be better - Buie should have his best year yet, kid has improved year over year. Ray, same thing, Cobourn with a solid year under his belt will be improved. Add a capable center along with Kante and this team should for all practical purposes be as good if not better than last years team. If, JWF had one additional year, I would be more confident than any other Hofstra team that this upcoming team would be dancing. Our guard play should absolutely light up the CAA - even without #3.

Well said dutch, just about everyone on the floor will be better than last year; the returning starters. Kante will be more productive than Taylor, Ray cannot not be expected to score like Justin but I see him giving us 12-15 points, if Silverio plays he can give us 10 or so points and the backups will be better too. Last year we essentially had no back up PG, this year we have Burgess...Up front hopefully we can get 5-7 points from the three headed back up of Trueheart, Schutte, and Hughes. In the backcourt we will have Miranda, hopefully Silverio and as I already mentioned Burgess....we may even have Kramer...there is no official word as to whether he will be red-shirting yet.
I think they will play better as a team next year since everyone knows they have to step it up without JWF. But that's a big ask for Kante to be more productive right away than Taylor, who was the second best player on the team last year. He's not going to be the same kind of shot blocker either. He's basically got to be Cacok right out of the gate for that to happen.