MBB Recruits 2019

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: MBB Recruits 2019

Post by triplec2195 »

garyg wrote:From the online tapes I have seen Mading appears to be potentially the perfect compliment to Kante...for a guy 6-10/6-11 he handles the ball great...
I didn't pay a lot of attention to this kid Mading since I didn't think we were recruiting him but after watching the you tube on this kid we should be all over him. He not only at 6'11" can put the ball on the floor but can shoot it from beyond the arc. I don't know the technicalities of his eligibility but after redshirting it would seem (logically) that he should be eligible right away whether he stayed at URI or transferred but anyway we should have Hughes reach out to him a fellow countryman. It's not easy to find kids his size that are not just trees that people are trying to turn into basketball players. He has been playing a while as evidenced by his video. https://youtu.be/FMYbr66tUmA
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

HofstraMathew wrote:I just wanted to recap where we stand with our roster for 2019-20 since we only have 1 scholarship left:

PG: Buie, Burgess and Miranda
SG: Pemberton, Ray and Silverio
SF: Coburn, Trueheart, Hughes and Cramer (Coburn really is a SG but listed him here since that is what he played for us last season)
PF: Kante and Schutte

Assuming Silverio, Cramer and maybe Miranda redshirt it leaves us Buie, Burgess, Pemberton, Ray, Coburn, Trueheart and Kante who we can expect to get minutes. We then need either Schutte/Hughes to be the 8th guy or that is someone that will take up the last scholarship.

Of course we also have the well loved walk on Connor.
Right now as I understand it, there are NO definite redshirts for the coming year.
garyg

Post by garyg »

IMO I think they redshirt at least 2 [Cramer, Miranda] and possibly 3...need to see what happens with OS and his eligibility...Mading is a very, very intriguing prospect...
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote:I just wanted to recap where we stand with our roster for 2019-20 since we only have 1 scholarship left:

PG: Buie, Burgess and Miranda
SG: Pemberton, Ray and Silverio
SF: Coburn, Trueheart, Hughes and Cramer (Coburn really is a SG but listed him here since that is what he played for us last season)
PF: Kante and Schutte

Assuming Silverio, Cramer and maybe Miranda redshirt it leaves us Buie, Burgess, Pemberton, Ray, Coburn, Trueheart and Kante who we can expect to get minutes. We then need either Schutte/Hughes to be the 8th guy or that is someone that will take up the last scholarship.

Of course we also have the well loved walk on Connor.
Right now as I understand it, there are NO definite redshirts for the coming year.
That's a bit cryptic HUSID can you explain? Does it mean that there's nothing definitive re Cramer yet and that he might play this year? Based on what we all read and one of the reasons he signed with us was that we were going to give him an extra year to rehab his ACL injury. Also is there definitive info. that we're not privy to concerning Silverio? A lot of us are interested in what the complexion of this team will be this year hoping to again go for the elusive net cutting! Also why would we want to redshirt Miranda who has had plenty of international basketball experience? He looks ready to play and considering that we didn't redshirt Justin I just don't understand that philosophy. Just like a lot of freshman he wont get major minutes but will gain valuable game experience and could be an important piece of the puzzle. Of course if Silverio is eligible then how may minutes can he realistically expect to get?
garyg

Post by garyg »

That is why eligibility of OS is key to next years team...if he is eligible we have him, Buie, Ray, Burgess, Pemberton, and Colburn in the backcourt...I realize Pemberton and Colburn do not play the 1 and 2 often but we would still have a crowded backcourt with basically no minutes available to Miranda...might as well redshirt him
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

garyg wrote:That is why eligibility of OS is key to next years team...if he is eligible we have him, Buie, Ray, Burgess, Pemberton, and Colburn in the backcourt...I realize Pemberton and Colburn do not play the 1 and 2 often but we would still have a crowded backcourt with basically no minutes available to Miranda...might as well redshirt him
This entire redshirt philosophy for this year is quite interesting and will play an important role in how good this team will be. Quite honestly I have posed the question here on HOW DO WE REPLACE JUSTIN and really haven't received great answers to this. IMO it's going to be a formidable task to replace his numbers since he was such a big part of this team and he was the GO TO GUY when the game was on the line. Where does this responsibility fall now and more importantly if we have too many kids redshirting will we really have the depth to compete. Replacing 27 points a game will be no easy task and consider that Pemberton has had some flat games when everything was on the line. I like the nucleus of this team but filling the voids left by Justin and Taylor will not be easy. I like the idea of plenty of bodies to compete against each other and let the cream come to the top.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HUSID74 wrote: Right now as I understand it, there are NO definite redshirts for the coming year.
I suppose they'd want to give Cramer minutes if they did indeed go and get a guy like Mading who had to sit a year? Is Trueheart really that buried?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:
HUSID74 wrote: Right now as I understand it, there are NO definite redshirts for the coming year.
I suppose they'd want to give Cramer minutes if they did indeed go and get a guy like Mading who had to sit a year? Is Trueheart really that buried?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Yeah its funny how Trueheart has become an afterthought and in the beginning of the year he was starting as he did the previous year. He really worked his way into the doghouse but at times he gave us quality minutes. The problem with assessing the up and coming year is we have players that are unknowns in terms of what they bring to the table. Until we know what we have in Hughes its hard to get a handle on what the game plan will be moving forward. It might be a totally moot issue but do we know that Mading if he is possibly in the mix at all will have to sit??
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Why so much talk about this guy Mading???? Has ANYONE seen anything connecting him to Hofstra except that he was recruited by us two years ago...I haven't.
As for "replacing" JWF nobody will. Jalen Ray will be the starter and I see him giving us around 15 ppg...also remember that he has ice in his veins and is not afraid to take and make clutch shots. Eli will need to step it up as will Coburn, who I hear has been awesome in off-season workouts. Kante will give us a double/double in the post with 10-15 minutes from the combo of Schutte/Hughes as of now. Trueheart along with Kramer, if he plays will back up Coburn and Pemberton.

X factor will be Silverio. If he is eligible maybe one of the other new guards may red shirt, more likely the kid from PR as Burgess is Buie's heir apparent.

I see the 1-2 guard position a rotation of four guys; Buie, Ray, Burgess and the kid from Puerto Rico.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Like I have been saying if Silverio is eligible Miranda will likely redshirt along with Cramer....

Last years team averaged 83 PPG

I can see next years team averaging something like this if Silverio is eligible:

Buie 12
Ray 14
Kante 14
Pemberton 18
Coburn 12
Burgess 3
Silverio 5
Trueheart 4
Others 2

That comes out to 84 PPG and some of the guys have the potential to do a little better
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HUSID74 wrote:Why so much talk about this guy Mading???? Has ANYONE seen anything connecting him to Hofstra except that he was recruited by us two years ago...I haven't.
He was recruited by Hofstra 2 years ago, from one of Joe's areas (MD), went to school with a current Hofstra recruit, is 6'11", can handle and shoot 3's...if anything it seems that there is not enough talk about him.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

garyg wrote:Like I have been saying if Silverio is eligible Miranda will likely redshirt along with Cramer....

Last years team averaged 83 PPG

I can see next years team averaging something like this if Silverio is eligible:

Buie 12
Ray 14
Kante 14
Pemberton 18
Coburn 12
Burgess 3
Silverio 5
Trueheart 4
Others 2

That comes out to 84 PPG and some of the guys have the potential to do a little better

The issue is replacing JWF's efficiency. I don't think they'll average as many points as last year simply because whatever combination of other guys taking his shots won't come close to replicating his .637 true shooting percentage.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Would love to see Mading in a Hofstra uniform, I think at worst he would sit one semester. Hopeful and optimistic as I am I will be amazed if he comes here.
Also I have seen nothing confirming that Miranda will be coming...has anyone seen anything official?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Captain wrote:Would love to see Mading in a Hofstra uniform, I think at worst he would sit one semester. Hopeful and optimistic as I am I will be amazed if he comes here.
Also I have seen nothing confirming that Miranda will be coming...has anyone seen anything official?
I haven't seen anything on him either and can't find him anywhere on V/C however if HUSID says he's in that's good enough for me. I won't continue the narrative on Mading until we see something concrete on this. As far as Gary's predicted scoring scenario; I'll buy into Buie and Ray but Kante right out of the gate getting 14 points and double digit rebounds. That's a stretch for me but would be wonderful however I'm more thinking 8-10 points a game and double digit rebounding. I think Coburn will average more then 12 a game but this may very well be wishful thinking. If Silverio is eligible I would be disappointed if he isn't getting more then 5 a game because this kid can score but how many minutes will he get. I really don't think we will score as many points as last years team and we will have to play better D. If we have a multitude of bodies getting minutes maybe we can play more man to man and not have to worry about foul issues.
Buie 12
Ray 14
Kante 14
Pemberton 18
Coburn 12
Burgess 3
Silverio 5
Trueheart 4
Others 2
garyg

Post by garyg »

Just found out Mading going JUCO...
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

garyg wrote:Just found out Mading going JUCO...
Ugh that sucks but still lots of possibilities for us and I’m sure Joe and company will find a post player.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Agree, any insight SID ??
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

garyg wrote:Agree, any insight SID ??
As I said before, I heard nothing about him. Seeing he went JUCO might indicate an academic issue...that alone would have prevented us, and others to go after him.
garyg

Post by garyg »

I meant any insight on 13th scholarship and who we might bring in with it ??
garyg

Post by garyg »

It is June 4th and we do not have official announcements by coaching staff on any newcomers for next seasons roster...