Media Thread

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID74

Re: Media Thread

Post by HUSID74 »

Wags wrote:As expected, the loss at Northeastern drops Hofstra out of Andy Katz's Power 36 this week: https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... nged-top-5

Later today, we'll see what happens with those 9 AP votes HU got last week.
Fine with me, time to focus on the real prize, a CAA Championship and NCAA berth.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

A somewhat belated story in the NY Times today on the streak, entitled, "The Streak No One Noticed," somewhat misleading.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/04/spor ... -ncaa.html
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Great article by Zagoria, good to see that article and the news of the Saturday sell-out off the loss.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

On SB Nation Mid-Major Madness there is an article about the HU-NU game on Saturday. There is also a podcast discussion that includes HU, NU, and the CAA. KenPom now has HU at #68, NU at #92, and CofC at #116.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Nice story from Newsday's Mark Herrman on Desure Buie.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ ... 1.26935945
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To HUSID74, Thanks for the great article on DB. What a well thought out attitude to have about the defeat at NU and the streak ending. I hope a new streak of 11 begins on Thursday evening and continues to the CAAT in March. All In! Control your own Destiny! Roll Pride!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

The Shadow wrote:To HUSID74, Thanks for the great article on DB. What a well thought out attitude to have about the defeat at NU and the streak ending. I hope a new streak of 11 begins on Thursday evening and continues to the CAAT in March. All In! Control your own Destiny! Roll Pride!

Yes, nice to see some of the "unsung" guys on the team getting some exposure. Desire, quietly has become a real leader on this team and an asset to the University
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Was equally impressed that Desure has a 3.92 GPA. Going to grad school and majoring in Linguistics. Not exactly basket weaving like they have at UNC. By the way here is a question for the board Our director of Linguistics at Hofstra is an answer to a great trivia question Who is he ,what was he famous for early in his life.
HU76

Post by HU76 »

He was in Sha Na Na. The original lineup that played Woodstock.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Live and learn the wonders never cease. A doo wopper! Imagine that!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

My daughter came back from school in her junior year. She said to me. Daddy was there ever a music group called Sha Na Na. I went down to my basement and picked out a vinyl album. She looked st him on the cover and said OMG. You can see DR Robert Leonard on you tube. Sha na na st Woodstock. He is one of the dancer-singer in the gold Laime outfit. At 21 he left the group and was replaced by Johnny Cuatardo
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Grease for peace!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HUSID74 wrote: A somewhat belated story in the NY Times today on the streak, entitled, "The Streak No One Noticed," somewhat misleading.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/04/spor ... -ncaa.html
It says "someone tell the student body." It's not that "no one noticed," but we would be better off with less national media and SportsCenter appearances and 1,000 more fans per game instead. Our attendance of 1,720 is 11 percent lower than the 1,936 we averaged while going 7-25 in 2012-2013.

I never took a class with Professor Leonard, but I saw his name listed. I took Linguistics 103: The Classical Roots of English Words with George Greaney in Spring 2006 and got an A. We learned word origins from Greek and then Latin. A "dormant" volcano and "dormitory" have the same root. A student said that students should take Latin before the class, and he responded that if you knew Latin you would already know the Latin roots the class taught. It was the first of consecutive classes I took in the same room. Has anybody else taken consecutive classes in the same room?
HU76

Post by HU76 »

They were all Columbia University students when they started.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The New York Times article compared the attendance to when Claxton played. We averaged 2,897 in his senior season and 2,985 when we went 26-5 after he graduated. We had very few out of conference home games, with 2 in 1999-2000 and 1 in 2000-2001. In 2000-2001, we played our first 3 games in Florida, which is as many as the 3 out of conference home games in 2 seasons combined. It goes up to 5 if you include hosting America East Finals.
fiftiespride

Post by fiftiespride »

Enjoyed Zagorias' article as well and delighted to see Buie get some deserved recognition and be made aware of his 3:92 gpa.
Thanks Stuball for the info and memory of our Linguistics dept. head.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:My daughter came back from school in her junior year. She said to me. Daddy was there ever a music group called Sha Na Na. I went down to my basement and picked out a vinyl album. She looked st him on the cover and said OMG. You can see DR Robert Leonard on you tube. Sha na na st Woodstock. He is one of the dancer-singer in the gold Laime outfit. At 21 he left the group and was replaced by Johnny Cuatardo
Love the "gold Lame outfit" comment Stu a classic forgot about that!
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

What kind of Linguist is he?
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Robert Leonard could qualify as the next "most interesting man in the world". What a cool history - played at Woodstock and helped solve murders. Amazing!
Polito

Post by Polito »

DB article was fantastic, best from newsday in a very very long time. About damn time. Kid deserves it too, tremendous young man, HU is blessed BIG TIME to have him back for one more go around!

And hey, that NY Times article nailed it, sorry to say - it's sad this program hasn't gotten more fannies in the seats. And the students are flat out embarrassing.

Glad they exposed it on a national scale, hopefully it embarrasses this university to get up off it, open the checkbooks, take drastic action, and start pumping marketing like they're supposed to.

Pay the damn students if you have to, give them free food every friggin game, I really don't care - do SOMETHING for goodness sake.