MBB vs. Elon, 1/28

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Re: MBB vs. Elon, 1/28

Post by Jojogunne »

Is there is a link to the game-winning shot?
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:Is there is a link to the game-winning shot?
The only one I saw is far away, from the Lion's Den (courtesy of the Hofstra Chronicle): https://twitter.com/HUChronSports/statu ... 4966635520

For the other thread, this is part of marketing too. When there's a moment like this, the school needs to capture it and advertise it to show people the excitement they're missing!

On that note, as long as the SCHOOL PAPER is tweeting and posting video like this, shouldn't they be at the media table or under the basket to record clips like this? Why is the Chronicle doing this from the Lion's Den?
Polito

Post by Polito »

I do feel HU payed to their opponent a bit, they are CLEARLY the better team so it wasn't really about missed FT's - they prob should've taken this by 20. But this team doesn't really do that, they tend to let up on D, they lose some focus, and allow teams to make it a game - this isn't bashing, just an observation that was also STATED by the staff

That said, I do agree with ph15 to a degree, at this point it's just win baby - style is really meaningless - I mean this game had a SC highlight for Koon, a game winning bucket by Green, highlighted Greens career assists, allowed AW to impact, and it was of course a conf HOME win - this is all good folks

Very glad to see AW and JWF get into the game so early, and I like that strategy as they will really need the starters to finish out games most of the time - as I've said, AW is a defensive force down low - that is his role, and he fulfills it well - his blocks/minutes played must look ridiculous - he's just got a great knack for it, and that is very valuable

he doesn't need a ton of minutes, just enough to be used in certain scenarios (a particular matchup, to spell RG when needed, and to generally alter opponents shots) - I think JM is doing it to an extent, though I personally would like a couple of minutes more just for the experience prior to the CAAT - but hey, the team is winning, so other than prep for the tourney it's RG all the way, bad FT shooting and all - you take it for a double-double - dude is on a war path, let him WAR!

I knew this wouldn't necessarily be a cake-walk as Elon has some capability, but the reality is yes, HU is playing very well of late and is def a level better - IF they had stayed focused and intense they would've buried them early and for the entirety.

But hey, that's a combo of this particular team and the CAA this year - every schools fans have noted its BRUTAL this year - let's remember, this is a WINNING season, we have stud players, and HU has a real shot here - I admit even I need to be reminded sometimes to enjoy this great ride - it could be a helluva lot worse - it could be 5 yrs ago - HU could be a cellar dweller - they are not, and thank God (and the staff and players!) for that!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:I do feel HU payed to their opponent a bit, they are CLEARLY the better team so it wasn't really about missed FT's - they prob should've taken this by 20. But this team doesn't really do that, they tend to let up on D, they lose some focus, and allow teams to make it a game
This is accurate for what happened in the first half. Elon started the game by missing 15 of its first 16 shots and HU led 12-2. I think HU did let its guard down (literally!) at that point and Elon obviously wasn't going to shoot that poorly the whole game, so they responded with a 23-12 run to go up by 1 late in the half.

Different story in the second half, however. HU came out aggressive and with a sense of purpose, and scored the first 11 of the half to go up 13. They then went up by 13 four more times after that, the last of which came with <7 min. left. HU goes 11-22 at the line in the second half and 11-25 for the game. Make that something like they should be, like 20-25 for the game, and then Elon probably doesn't get quite the push it does in the final 6 minutes, and HU wins it comfortably by about 15. And then we're talking about a nice, solid win instead of blowing a late 13-point lead and needing JG's heorcis at the end to pull out the W.

So yeah, there was some lack of focus in the first half after building the lead, but the second half and the reason it became close at all was 14 missed FTs.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

I'm sure other teams will go to school on this, and hack-a-rok will become a viable tactic. How will we counter?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

joeg1 wrote:I'm sure other teams will go to school on this, and hack-a-rok will become a viable tactic. How will we counter?
Be aggressive earlier in the game, draw fouls (especially with JG driving) and get opposing teams' starters and perhaps their other key rotation guys into foul trouble so that if HU is up with a small lead late, and Rok is on the floor, they can't afford to hack him because they might be in danger of fouling out -- which always be the strategy anyway, even if Rok were shooting double what he is at the line now. But even more so when he's the liability at the line that he is right now.

And mostly, hard work from Rok in the gym to improve enough at the line to take that strategy away altogether.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Wags wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:Is there is a link to the game-winning shot?
The only one I saw is far away, from the Lion's Den (courtesy of the Hofstra Chronicle): https://twitter.com/HUChronSports/statu ... 4966635520
Thanks, Wags. The Chronicle rules!
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Hofstra tweeted Denton Koon on Sportscenter's Top 10 plays and also Juan'ya's game winner:

https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/6 ... 9028034561

https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/6 ... 7683976192
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote: it could be 5 yrs ago - HU could be a cellar dweller
5 years ago Hofstra was the 3 seed in the CAA Tournament. Jenkins was a senior. Hofstra was bad 4, 3, and 2 years ago.