MBB Recruits 2021

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: MBB Recruits 2021

Post by triplec2195 »

Polito wrote:Carlos (and Brantley) are both probably hanging around 6'0 - would bet he stays in that range, but a little bump to 6'2 would be fantastic if it happens 8-)

As for a big, with the forced resignation of Pat Chambers at PSU, Elijah Everett a 6'9 210lb big just de-committed (the last of their class to do so after the news), and I think HU should go after him next with all they've got.

https://247sports.com/Player/Elijah-Hut ... -46036338/
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... ett-183442
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... ns-everett
https://twitter.com/ElijahHEverett8?ref ... r%5Eauthor
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/el ... ns-everett

On the surface: 3-4 star kid, top 5 in NJ, top 30ish position / top 200 overall nationally. From the perennial power Putnam Science program. Rebounds, blocks, passes well / good IQ, and can score at the basket. Can hit the three now and then. A double-double guy with great size for HU's system. But he is not super athletic, doesn't really play much above the rim, needs to finish better after contact, and develop more depth to his offensive game. For those reasons I see a young man that is ripe to evolve and ultimately become an all-conf performer.

Although he is a very good player and would be a huge get here, what I see on film he is not a 4 star. He is a solid 3, which is right in HU's wheelhouse, and I think would be a MUCH better fit in the CAA than a P5. Talented, and would firmly and easily put HU's class at the top of the CAA, but not quite matching with some of the higher rankings IMO. That would bode well for HU if they decide to pursue and can convince him he is better off developing into a star at this level than trying to force it somewhere much higher.

Farrelly and Speedy, get after this fella!
This kid Everett is a no brainer obviously and if you look at his offers they're lengthy and are almost all P5 variety except for Bryant who seem to offer every student athlete in the country! This would me a major coup to get him but at the end of the day this is just "HEMPSTEAD DREAMING". Post players are always the toughest to sign and are in big demand. There will be others available as you guys have mentioned and our program is positioning itself IMO to take a step up and separate ourselves from the rest of the CAA. I don't want to sound cocky but I feel this momentum building off our recent successes so let's hope we see this thru to fruition. We could have again soon a very special team for years to come. Also gohofstra listed Carlos at 6'1 so I'm predicting maybe 6'3 by the time he gets here, LOL!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Outside of Everett, for the wing spot in particular knowing that HU is already involved, I would also take Harvard transfer Danilo Djuricic all day long - would be a great fit here, and bring a load of skill, size, IQ, flexibility, and maturity - a lot of schools in the mix, but if HU can pull that off, that would be a huge addition as well - think a 6'7 Coburn - put him at the 3 next year with Green / Cramer at the 4 and watch out.

No timetable for him yet, but clearly later. Let's see...
fiftiespride

Post by fiftiespride »

As a promising, albeit shaky, season approaches it is great to see all the energy returning to the board. Thus far we have a tough/attractive OOC schedule. We have a good deal of depth and with Covid it is a particularly important year to develop and use it. My understanding is because of Covid, seniors will be permitted to return for another year and that JR and TC are choosing to do so which means we are out of scholarships and will have quite a surplus of guards next year. Perhaps one of you guys that are closer to the scene and more plugged in can confirm whether this is correct. There weren't any takers on my trivia question on Jeffersons contribution to Hofstra hoops way back in my time? Thanks for all the links and sharing.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

fiftiespride wrote: My understanding is because of Covid, seniors will be permitted to return for another year and that JR and TC are choosing to do so which means we are out of scholarships and will have quite a surplus of guards next year.
Is this true? I haven't seem something like this but maybe I missed it. And Fifties, in regard to your Jefferson question, I looked for BVBK rosters online and couldn't find anything, so you stumped me!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

RollPride15 wrote:
fiftiespride wrote: My understanding is because of Covid, seniors will be permitted to return for another year and that JR and TC are choosing to do so which means we are out of scholarships and will have quite a surplus of guards next year.
Is this true? I haven't seem something like this but maybe I missed it. And Fifties, in regard to your Jefferson question, I looked for BVBK rosters online and couldn't find anything, so you stumped me!
The rule change is definitely true. I had actually asked earlier in this thread if anyone had heard of any rumors if any of the seniors were staying. A bit surprised TC is deciding to stay since this is his 5th year of college already but considering the cost of school another year of free school definitely seems worth it. On a basketball front this is definitely great news that these two are going to stay. Only negative might be it makes us a bit guard heavy on the roster next year but if Kante, Schutte, Green and Cramer are playing good then it shouldn't be an issue.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Also they can complete their Masters degree while under scholarship
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HofstraMathew wrote:
RollPride15 wrote:
The rule change is definitely true. I had actually asked earlier in this thread if anyone had heard of any rumors if any of the seniors were staying. A bit surprised TC is deciding to stay since this is his 5th year of college already but considering the cost of school another year of free school definitely seems worth it. On a basketball front this is definitely great news that these two are going to stay. Only negative might be it makes us a bit guard heavy on the roster next year but if Kante, Schutte, Green and Cramer are playing good then it shouldn't be an issue.
if they in fact do come back, it's great for talent, but combined with the new transfer rule, you may risk losing some of the new guys coming in who can't get on the court.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Every school will be in the same boat If they are stars on your team it will only benefit the team
Polito

Post by Polito »

I know about the rule, but have not heard yet whether JR and TC would do so... that would certainly be a big move and impact a few things. Not sure that's been confirmed yet though? They may wait to see how things play out this season. I do still think HU will continue to pursue a big and a wing, but we'll see. But having those 2 back would be a stud lineup for next year with all starters returning including 3 then Seniors.

I think that and the new transfer rules will definitely have an impact on the landscape overall, especially for next year - I think HU will navigate this well though - this staff has shown a very strong knack for A) keeping the top talent in Hempstead, B) bringing in stud transfers, C) really good at evals for both recruiting and development of guys on the roster allowing the right ones to grow through, and D) willing to move on from guys that don't pan out (i.e. Greer, Hughes for example).

I don't see an issue with PT, and guys wanting to jump ship immediately unless they just aren't right for this level - I think it's more that than stud guys looking to bolt as soon as they don't get minutes. I think that will happen elsewhere, but HU really doesn't recruit like that - it will be really rare, hopefully.
fiftiespride

Post by fiftiespride »

Jeffersons contribution to Hofstra hoops in the early 60's was Jim Boatwright. We were an elite div. 2 team at that time. Jim was around 6 3 and an important player for us and at Jefferson. I had graduated in 59 but was taking grad. courses part time in the evening the next couple of years so didn't see him often. He transferred back to us from one of the Dakotas after his freshman year.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Fiftiespride you walked me down memory Lane.
Boatwright was part of some terrific D2 teams.
I am sure you remember Mike Pollack and Mike Tilley. they were maybe 6'2" tall and played under the basket.
"Whitey Jakabauskas was a military vet about 28 years old on one of those teams.
The amazing Steve Nisenson played then too. They were well coached and fun to watch.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

And I thought I went back far watching in the mid 70's but had the luxury right out of the gate to watch really good teams coached by Roger Gaeckler. There was a lot of buzz back then about this kid from Overbrook H.S. in Philadelphia that we recruited named Rich Laurel. Overbrook being the alma mater of Wilt Chamberlain. Then came John Irving a transfer and an animal rebounder Ken Rood a local kid who could shoot it Pat Kammerer another strong post presence. Not to snub anyone Bernard Tomlin I believed played on the team that went toe to toe with Notre Dame at the Palestra first round NCAA. Actually Tomlin played the year before on the team that should have beat UCONN. Arnold Coleman, Willie Vickers and John Makucas also names I recall. Those were fun times and an exciting team to watch.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

The Gaeckler teams were loaded with talent. Kammerer and Rood still come to games.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:The Gaeckler teams were loaded with talent. Kammerer and Rood still come to games.
Yes Jojo and I've talked to both of them on more then one occasion you probably also. Rood used to post on the forum until I think somebody beat him up here on his comments.
fiftiespride

Post by fiftiespride »

Well coached indeed Captain. 24+4 in 62, 23+1 in 59. Jakabauskas was 5 7 when he graduated from, I believe Bishop Loughlin. Iriving transferred in from Arizona and I believe led the nation in rebounding 1 year. Tomlin came to us via Utah. My time being the mid to late fifties I got to see a lot of guys like Teddy Jackson, Bob Stowers, Ritchie Scwarz, Steve Dunn, Steve Balber and Brant Alyea. Alyea was a stud who had D1 offers in 3 sports. He had a significant baseball career with the Twins. Stowers was 6 1+ but I don't ever remember him losing a center jump. He had serious hops and didn't have to gather himself. Prior to practice he would loosen up by jumping straight up and stuffing 10 times often with his elbows over the rim. We were always small except in the Thieben days when we also had Dick Pidgeon who also was 6 6. 2 guys that size in the early fifties was good sized for D 1 and huge for us.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

So I know the JR and TC rumors of staying another year aren't confirmed but if they do stay then that does complete the class. Based on that our roster would be the following by postion:

1: Burgess, Cowart, Carlos
2: Ray, Silverio, Bethea, Masic
3: Coburn, Barrouk
4: Cramer, Green
5: Kante, Schutte

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves as some (maybe most?) of those guys are still unproven but that would have to be one of the most talented rosters we have had in recent memory.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

[quote="HofstraMathew"]So I know the JR and TC rumors of staying another year aren't confirmed but if they do stay then that does complete the class. Based on that our roster would be the following by postion:

1: Burgess, Cowart, Carlos
2: Ray, Silverio, Bethea, Masic
3: Coburn, Barrouk
4: Cramer, Green
5: Kante, Schutte

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves as some (maybe most?) of those guys are still unproven but that would have to be one of the most talented rosters we have had in recent memory.[/quote]

We haven't even played one game this year and we are contemplating next year, lol. I guess we are very anxious to see some college basketball. I just recently started looking at the proposed new rules which I believe will have to be finally voted on in January 2021. I'm reading this article from the The San Diego Union Tribune dated 10/14/20 and it says: “The eligibility is available at another school,” the spokesperson said in a subsequent email, “but the scholarship will count against team limits. If a student-athlete stays at their current school but has exhausted eligibility, their aid doesn’t count against team limits.”

In other words, if you have 13 basketball players on scholarship and three seniors stay for their extra year, you still get three additional scholarships for 2021-22. If a senior transfers to another school for that extra season, he or she counts against the allotted scholarship limit (which is 13 for men’s basketball).
After reading this article if in fact it is correct then we would still have an additional two scholarships for NEXT YEAR even though two of those scholarships will be used by Ray and Coburn if they should stay the extra year. So instead of having 13 we now have 15. This has HUGE ramifications in terms of scholarship quota's and the recruiting of new players for the following year. Does anyone know anything about this supposed RULE???
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

I mean this whole thread is regarding the 2021-22 season. I was just closing the loop on our recruiting season if indeed the Ray and Coburn rumors are accurate.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:I mean this whole thread is regarding the 2021-22 season. I was just closing the loop on our recruiting season if indeed the Ray and Coburn rumors are accurate.
All good HM just was more throwing out there about the added scholarships per this article I read. Does ANYONE know anything about this???? This is IMPORTANT!!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Hm, I really don't know the exact details around this yet myself, but to my knowledge HU is continuing to recruit, as they should - I don't think decisions will be made until we are deeper into the season and see how things play out - I think a lot will depend on how the year goes if either would decide to return. And will likely be the case for many players in their position.

This is happening in college football, as the season is nearing it's final stretch, players are now opting out if they are no longer playing for anything meaningful so they can get prepped for the next step / level and go pro.