2022 CAA Tournament

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: 2022 CAA Tournament

Post by triplec2195 »

Really when was the last time a CAA team played well in the NCAA tourney rather then getting blown out. Maybe UNCW SOME YEARS BACK WHEN THEY PLAYED Virginia?? They made that game close 2016-2017 they lost by 5.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:Really when was the last time a CAA team played well in the NCAA tourney rather then getting blown out. Maybe UNCW SOME YEARS BACK WHEN THEY PLAYED Virginia?? They made that game close 2016-2017 they lost by 5.
Actually, going back a couple years further than you mentioned, the CAA has been a lot more competitive than not in recent years.

Only the last two trips did CAA teams get blown out. The four prior ones were all single-digit losses, with three of those being near-upsets.

2015: Northeastern lost by 4 to Notre Dame; Huskies got a terrible call go against them very late which very well might have changed that outcome.
2016: UNCW lost by 8 to Duke; Seahawks were up three at the half and hung tough for the rest of the game.
2017: UNCW lost by 5 to Virginia (the one you mentioned).
2018: Charleston lost by 4 to Auburn in a very tight game throughout.
2019: Northeastern blown out by Kansas.
2020: Hofstra, of course, didn't get to play.
2021: Drexel blown out by Illinois.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

From the little I've seen of other conference tournaments, the winning teams do not rely heavily on three-point shots, but they can make them when they need to. Their guards are bigger and can drive to the basket.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:From the little I've seen of other conference tournaments, the winning teams do not rely heavily on three-point shots, but they can make them when they need to. Their guards are bigger and can drive to the basket.
IDK what other teams are doing but we try to make our living off the three ball. We were shooting at a 32% clip with smaller guards getting points in the paint tougher to come by but we didn't capitalize on one of our biggest strengths getting to the FT line. So maybe more driving to the basket with the worst case scenario getting fouled or picking up and ones. We could use another Eli Pemberton body to create mismatches and to get some rebounds. That kid Durogordon would be a big plus here.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:From the little I've seen of other conference tournaments, the winning teams do not rely heavily on three-point shots, but they can make them when they need to. Their guards are bigger and can drive to the basket.
We were shooting at a 32% clip with smaller guards getting points in the paint tougher to come by but we didn't capitalize on one of our biggest strengths getting to the FT line.
I was only saying this all season. Too late now.

Even with this though, they usually found enough points, like they did even in the season-ending loss to Charleston (scoring 76). Teams that win in March need to play defense. How many CAA tournament games have ever been won allowing 55 in the first half and 92 for the game? I don't think we need Evan for the answer to that one.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

To show how important defense is halftime score Villanova 19 Creighton 18
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

stuball888 wrote:To show how important defense is halftime score Villanova 19 Creighton 18
Stu, did you watch the game? Case of tired legs, they were chucking up 3's in the first half and hitting nothing...turned it up in second half though. The 7 footer from Creighton is a player.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Saw the game but all college tournaments are about 3 in three days or 4 in four days. It was another rock fight. Take a look at the womens games in the CAA. They are all in the 50s.
Just take the under in all these games.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Dont you think after each team was either 1-13 or 2-17 they would have scrapped the trey and drive to the basket.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

also if it was just tired legs how do explain the uptick in offense after just a 15 minute break for the second half
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:also if it was just tired legs how do explain the uptick in offense after just a 15 minute break for the second half
Right. And why didn't Virginia Tech or Richmond have tired legs? Each won four in four days, each in very tough conferences, and Virginia Tech played an OT game in their first win. The "tired legs" thing is always a very easy thing to throw out because it can't be proved either way when a team comes up short. But it doesn't mean it's always true and there are always many Virginia Tech and Richmond types of examples to the contrary. As much as I love college hoops, shooting is not really great across college basketball - I watched that game last night: I didn't see tired legs, I saw Villanova and Creighton just missing, like a lot of college players do from the perimeter. Was also pretty good defense from each team, but also shots that college players just often miss.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Kind of funny - two years ago, right after Hofstra won the title in D.C., I asked Joe about potentially facing Villanova. He kind of half-joked, "Oh, we're definitely drawing Villanova."

So what happens tonight? Delaware draws Villanova. Not just any other CAA champion (like UNCW, Towson, where there's no story), but specifically Delaware, all these years (as we all know) after Jay Wright first got to the NCAAT with HU through Delaware.

But the committee doesn't consider storylines, and matches teams up strictly on data, right? Suuuuuure they don't. :)
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

UD also won the women's tournament.
Cards

Post by Cards »

and UD center Dylan Painter is a transfer from Villanova!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

It all makes for a nice story line but it would have been a better story line with us playing Villanova,
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

stuball888 wrote:also if it was just tired legs how do explain the uptick in offense after just a 15 minute break for the second half
Jay went to his bench bigtime...thats what won it for them.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Wags wrote:Kind of funny - two years ago, right after Hofstra won the title in D.C., I asked Joe about potentially facing Villanova. He kind of half-joked, "Oh, we're definitely drawing Villanova."

So what happens tonight? Delaware draws Villanova. Not just any other CAA champion (like UNCW, Towson, where there's no story), but specifically Delaware, all these years (as we all know) after Jay Wright first got to the NCAAT with HU through Delaware.

But the committee doesn't consider storylines, and matches teams up strictly on data, right? Suuuuuure they don't. :)

Michigan St draws Davidson who's PG Foster Lawyer was co-captain and starter for Sparty last year. If MSU wins they get Duke - Izzo vs Coach K - they don't make those matchup's - lol