MBB recruits 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
DCDUTCH

Re: MBB recruits 2017

Post by DCDUTCH »

Why is JM and staff so hush hush? Previous coaches were more open.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

DCDUTCH, they might not be hush hush, might just not be anything to report on.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

They also aren't allowed to mention any recruits names until they sign.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Been on vacation so have not posted anything lately. Very quite out there.

Lots of good 4s and 5s out there on the transfer sheets. Most that would have to sit out a year - but that's fine, If we can grab a big and have him ready to go after RG and HS leave.....

The number of transferring 4s that can play next year is not that long of a list. Of course that does not include anyone from the JC roles. I believe that the staff is working hard on landing an impact 4, but in the end, its only the delivery of that impact 4 that matters. If we pick up an impact 4 and maybe another combo 2/3, I think we will be set for next year.

As was mentioned by another poster, I will be very disappointed is Pemba does not average 15+ next year. Combine that with JWF at around 20 ppg and that's a real nice 1-2 punch.
Polito

Post by Polito »

This staff is on the hook to land an IMPACT 4 for THIS SEASON.

PERIOD.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Polito wrote:This staff is on the hook to land an IMPACT 4 for THIS SEASON.

PERIOD.
Agree 100% Polito...
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

And time is ticking as the impact 4's we desperately seek, are starting to sign elsewhere.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2017

Cue the Jeopardy Theme.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

There are 507 players transferring. Who on that list is the best fit for us.End of the signing period is 5/17. its 23 days and counting. Still plenty of time.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Stu is correct, plenty of good players out there and based on last year there will be another 200 plus additional transfers out thre before all is said and done this season.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Transfer season has really become a major thing lol - unbelievable how many kids are involved nowadays. And good point HUSID, many still waiting to see who heads toward the draft, some jobs are still open, some changes are still to come.

I'm not going to go nuts about it anymore, too much energy lol - staff knows what they must do, there is still time and there is still available talent.

Get the job done, or fail the class and program. Pretty straightforward to me.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Polito wrote:Transfer season has really become a major thing lol - unbelievable how many kids are involved nowadays. And good point HUSID, many still waiting to see who heads toward the draft, some jobs are still open, some changes are still to come.

I'm not going to go nuts about it anymore, too much energy lol - staff knows what they must do, there is still time and there is still available talent.

agree Polito. Somehow Hofstra has to create an atmosphere or persona where athletes want to come to play. JM does not have a dynamic personality which does not help in recruiting although his staff may have that personality. He may be a good coach but HS athletes or transfers hear the same pitch from all the recruiters so first impressions or track records are important.
Coaches must be able to sell themselves as well as the school, facilities, campus, and location.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Tick-toc...Tick-toc....JAM and staff are on the clock...we can not recruit another Ty Greer for the 4
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

bobe13 wrote:
Polito wrote:Transfer season has really become a major thing lol - unbelievable how many kids are involved nowadays. And good point HUSID, many still waiting to see who heads toward the draft, some jobs are still open, some changes are still to come.

agree Polito. Somehow Hofstra has to create an atmosphere or persona where athletes want to come to play. JM does not have a dynamic personality which does not help in recruiting although his staff may have that personality. He may be a good coach but HS athletes or transfers hear the same pitch from all the recruiters so first impressions or track records are important.
Coaches must be able to sell themselves as well as the school, facilities, campus, and location.
Bob, you know him personally? The man has more energy than most people half his age and he knows how to recruit... have you seen the work they put in to each recruit's visit? they develop a personal development plan for each kid who visits and not just basketball...this stuff is garbage...
garyg

Post by garyg »

HUSID80...are you JAM's agent...LOL
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

HUSID80 wrote:
bobe13 wrote:

Bob, you know him personally? The man has more energy than most people half his age and he knows how to recruit... have you seen the work they put in to each recruit's visit? they develop a personal development plan for each kid who visits and not just basketball...this stuff is garbage...
Never said he doesn't work hard. I have seen him enough on sidelines and in many interviews to determine he does not have a charismatic personality. When you are in sales which recruiting is and which I have had a 40+ year successful career in no one cares if you work hard but do not close the deals.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Sorry guys...Jahlil Tripp to Pacific
Captain

Post by Captain »

However this may point Osbel Caraballo our way since Pacific had offered him as well.
Something will break soon and I believe roster spots will open up too. Just a feeling.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Bob didn't say that. He knows the business and has been successful as a D 1 coach for about 20 years. He knows how to recruit, believe me.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Still no official announcement on Jalen Ray ????
garyg

Post by garyg »

Captain wrote:However this may point Osbel Caraballo our way since Pacific had offered him as well.
Something will break soon and I believe roster spots will open up too. Just a feeling.
Be great if Walker transfers out to open up another scholly