MBB Recruits 2018

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: MBB Recruits 2018

Post by triplec2195 »

I saw this just now 4/6/2018 - 2018 PF David Nzekwesi (6-9, 235, 2★) committed to Denver. I wish I could post something positive but still have high hopes!
garyg

Post by garyg »

HUSID74 wrote:We're having a visitor from Florida this weekend. Hope he likes snow!
Does he play the 5 ??? What more can you tell us ???
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

garyg wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:We're having a visitor from Florida this weekend. Hope he likes snow!
Does he play the 5 ??? What more can you tell us ???

No he doesn’t. http://verbalcommits.com/players/michael-forrest
https://mobile.twitter.com/m_ke1135/sta ... 6481118210
garyg

Post by garyg »

Not overly impressed by other schools recruiting this kid............
Captain

Post by Captain »

Ground hog day again? We may not get quality bigs on a regular basis, but Hofstra knows and gets good guards.
I remember some on this board panning HU for offering a white point guard from Philly last year who ultimately had to settle for playing significant minutes in the national championship game for Villanova. (Colin Gillespie) My advice, trust the staff to know a guard when they see one.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Captain wrote:Ground hog day again? We may not get quality bigs on a regular basis, but Hofstra knows and gets good guards.
I remember some on this board panning HU for offering a white point guard from Philly last year who ultimately had to settle for playing significant minutes in the national championship game for Villanova. (Colin Gillespie) My advice, trust the staff to know a guard when they see one.
I was about to make this same post.
Polito

Post by Polito »

This isn't the visit I'm looking for - wanting and hoping there's another for a particular center from FL

As far as Forrest:
Good
Can score for sure, strong from 3, pull-up jumpers, drives, transition, creates his own shot
2 time state champ including this yr, looks to be a team leader
Nice handle and quick step

Bad
Doesn't appear to play a lick of D - sadly will fit right in
I don't see much passing - looks like another fake point who's really a pure scoring guard
Bit undersized and light, but that's the norm, so not a huge deal

Agree with guards we can trust for the most part - kid def has talent

I'm just really tired of this staffs inabilty to recruit guys that can play D, because they can't seem to coach or develop it either - it's really holding this program back IMO. HU loves to score, I get it and that's great - but I'd like to see this staff mature their recruiting or coaching at this point to address the glaring weakness.

Otherwise all this stuff won't produce anything more than just the same ol close but no cigar stuff.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Polito wrote:This isn't the visit I'm looking for - wanting and hoping there's another for a particular center from FL

As far as Forrest:
Good
Can score for sure, strong from 3, pull-up jumpers, drives, transition, creates his own shot
2 time state champ including this yr, looks to be a team leader
Nice handle and quick step

Bad
Doesn't appear to play a lick of D - sadly will fit right in
I don't see much passing - looks like another fake point who's really a pure scoring guard
Bit undersized and light, but that's the norm, so not a huge deal

Agree with guards we can trust for the most part - kid def has talent

I'm just really tired of this staffs inabilty to recruit guys that can play D, because they can't seem to coach or develop it either - it's really holding this program back IMO. HU loves to score, I get it and that's great - but I'd like to see this staff mature their recruiting or coaching at this point to address the glaring weakness.

Otherwise all this stuff won't produce anything more than just the same ol close but no cigar stuff.
I see video clips of this kid on you tube and he looks OK but when I check him out on V/C ESPN he is not rated as one of the top 21 basketball players coming out of Florida. I do see this kid signed by Towson though; 16
Solomon Uyaelunmo
Video | Scouts Report
C Miami, FL
Calvary Christian Academy 6'8'' 220
So Towson is able to sign a center #16th ranked player coming out of Florida but we are still kind of holding our breath and chasing after a two star guard not ranked in the top twenty! It's food for thought it doesn't mean that he won't pan out to be a very good player but it seems our priorities are to get big players in the fold and not work projects that may help us 2 years down the road!!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Hey I hear ya, it's tough to sit and watch and accept the lateness of this staff while other programs land solid talent. BUT again, with the recruiting I'm really working to stay true with JM & Co. because it really is an area they have earned the trust IMO.

They've had a few busts, but so does everyone, and the reality is they hit a lot more than they miss from my view. Guards especially.

The biggest issue as I noted is I see continued lack of D focus, and that is really concerning to me. Especially if they have been given extensions. Because if these guys don't grow past this and recruit proper 2-way players or learn how to COACH it, this program will continue to go nowhere.

And unfortunately I think there are too many people who can actually do something about that either don't see it, don't understand it, refuse to admit it, or simply don't care.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Agree with all that has been said regarding the ability to get guards. Staff certainly knows what its doing in that area. As I recall, I was one of those guys wondering if Collin G would have been a good recruit for HU. Just goes to show, that basing opinions on a 2 minute video OBVIOUSLY does not tell the entire story, nor does it give any insight into what a player might develop into, or his character for that matter.

Unless some of you have aver seen these players in person, or have spoken to coaches about them, or have some other form of insight, most of us are simply winging it as far as our evaluations go. But heck, its a discussion board and it keeps the MBB conversation going during the season and afterwards.

One final word on picking up a some 4/5s for next season. Some on this board keep commenting that there are hundreds of players on the transfer list. Lets be realistic though, there are not nearly as many 4/5s - and finally, most of the guys are not eligible to play next year. The pool of talented 4/5s that can come in right away and be impact players is not very large. Granted we only need to hit on the one right guy, but it is a tall order to fill (no pun intended).
garyg

Post by garyg »

I just sent Speedy email Hey Speedy, are we gonna land a couple of guys that can play the 5 for next season...one that can have impact next season and start...his reply was YES
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

garyg wrote:I just sent Speedy email Hey Speedy, are we gonna land a couple of guys that can play the 5 for next season...one that can have impact next season and start...his reply was YES
Gary, you wouldn't think he would say no, would you?
garyg

Post by garyg »

He did not have to reply or he could have given me a brush off type of reply
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:Agree with all that has been said regarding the ability to get guards. Staff certainly knows what its doing in that area. As I recall, I was one of those guys wondering if Collin G would have been a good recruit for HU. Just goes to show, that basing opinions on a 2 minute video OBVIOUSLY does not tell the entire story, nor does it give any insight into what a player might develop into, or his character for that matter.

Unless some of you have aver seen these players in person, or have spoken to coaches about them, or have some other form of insight, most of us are simply winging it as far as our evaluations go. But heck, its a discussion board and it keeps the MBB conversation going during the season and afterwards.

One final word on picking up a some 4/5s for next season. Some on this board keep commenting that there are hundreds of players on the transfer list. Lets be realistic though, there are not nearly as many 4/5s - and finally, most of the guys are not eligible to play next year. The pool of talented 4/5s that can come in right away and be impact players is not very large. Granted we only need to hit on the one right guy, but it is a tall order to fill (no pun intended).
Yeah Cards I have mentioned it numerous times as have others about over 400 transfers looking to play elsewhere and some of those 400 have already committed to other schools. You make a good point about a lot of these kids not being eligible to play next year but since I have a lot of time on my hands I looked thru that list and a rough count I find about 35 kids more or less eligible to play next year and not committed. These r the kids we know about not to mention how many H.S. kids out there still not signed. I think you need to be more optimistic here in getting at least one kid if not 2. Do you think there are more Hunter Sabety's out there? There have been plenty of people on this forum that have belittled his game but right about now we would be thrilled to get a clone of him IMO!
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Never did understand why Walker was not redshirted sometime during his tenure he. He'd be a senior now.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Was in jams doghouse Obviously JAM wasn’t going to play him Since he barely saw even garbage time
garyg

Post by garyg »

NLI signing begins this Wednesday, April 11th....
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:Was in jams doghouse Obviously JAM wasn’t going to play him Since he barely saw even garbage time
I always thought he had nice potential Walker and was rated respectably out of H.S. and we saw him have some decent games here although they were few and far between. I was told by someone who had inside info. on the team that he was still playing H.S. defense as a D1 college player but why didn't they work with him. He could have behooved this team as he was a shot blocking machine and he could score some!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Also since he was mentioned somewhere on this thread Tariq Owens just transferred to Texas Tech. Not that we thought we had a chance to get him!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

So Walker was playing HS defense. Did anyone work with him. So in four years they could not make him a better defensive player ?