MBB Recruits 2018

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID74

Re: MBB Recruits 2018

Post by HUSID74 »

Kid is a Euro style player who can step out and hit the three...Needs to gain weight and strength. Will not be much of a factor for next year but coaches really like his game and potential.

He is NOT seen as a replacement for either Rok or Hunter! Those hopefully are coming.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

HUSID74 wrote:Kid is a Euro style player who can step out and hit the three...Needs to gain weight and strength. Will not be much of a factor for next year but coaches really like his game and potential.

He is NOT seen as a replacement for either Rok or Hunter! Those hopefully are coming.
Any insight on if the staff expects him to redshirt or will they try and get a few minutes a game out of him to see what he has next year? I assume probably still depends on how the rest of the recruiting class turns out?
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

I would agree, depends on who else comes in. If we get two more bigs then he might redshirt
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Love this signing. I know it's not our immediate need, but I think we find our Rok replacement via grad transfer, as we need someone who is ready to step right in and wants the minutes + NCAA tourny shot.

Signing Hal gives us a small pipeline to SPI as a program, and a wild-card 6'10'' shooter who could someday fit really well into our system. Denton Koon set the mold, now we just need to keep trying to fill it with guys like Trueheart, Radovic, and this guy.

Agreed we still need the starting 5, but I'm confident that we'll get someone who will bring impact once the transfer carousel opens up.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:Hal Hughes, SCS
At 6-foot-9, the Class of 2018 prospect is a knockdown shooter who can get hot in a hurry. While he entered the United States as strictly a 3-point ace, he’s become more efficient as a knockdown guy from 18-20 feet. He’s still adjusting to the physicality of the American game, as the Australian must pack on muscle to a spindly 185-pound frame. Division-I programs such as Austin Peay and Weber State have expressed interest in Hughes, citing upside and a feathery touch that’s translatable to the ensuing level of play.

This was posted following his junior season. Based on weight and the above comments, does not sound like an inside guy at all, at least not for now. Nothing wrong with picking up a young 6'9" 3 pt shooter. Could be a guy who develops and grows into a real impact guy - cant teach size and few guys that size can shoot like an "ace". Certainly does not sound like an immediate impact guy. As always, time will tell if he pans out.

Maybe they expect him to develop into a Jeremy Miller type (northeastern)?

Good info. Cards and he looks to be like a Jeremy Miller type body this could be a plus for us but where's the post player??
garyg

Post by garyg »

How old is this kid??
Polito

Post by Polito »

Hey, some positive news at least, will take this pickup as a future potential guy - 6'9/6'10 that can stroke it a weapon missing from this program, and if you look at the tourney teams, having that big/long stretch 4 guy who can play out to the perimeter is a major factor of most success - I don't see him as a 5 though until he adds some real beef - would love for him or another guy to be both the 4 and 5 skill set, that's the real need IMO

Seems an obvious RS candidate to bulk, practice, and learn the system, and a guy who can really stretch the floor

The offensive write-up on him is very intriguing. Biggest factor will be can he defend out to the perimeter...totally in the dark with next to no film - on a strong prep program, and has hopefully received some good coaching and played good comp - worth a shot provided 1-2 other immediate starting quality bigs are brought in.

Which I believe will be the case. Like I said, I have faith in this staff on the recruiting front - hearing good things, and I would bet more good news is coming...
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Are the board readers aware that about nine current players and recruits for Pittsburgh of the ACC are now about to select new playing locations for 2018-19 because of a coaching change? I am quite sure Coach M is aware of this situation. I hope he has considered contacting some of these players.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

The Shadow wrote:Are the board readers aware that about nine current players and recruits for Pittsburgh of the ACC are now about to select new playing locations for 2018-19 because of a coaching change? I am quite sure Coach M is aware of this situation. I hope he has considered contacting some of these players.
They're all listed on Verbal Commits..I'm sure he's aware.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

It’s funny but Hal also was being recruited by Weber State. So we lost one recruit to them and they lost one to us
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

I like the kid we signed. Ill take an athletic 4 over a big stiff at the 5. This is the wave of the future. We dont run pllays through the post anyway.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

SR wormley jwf
JR pemberton buie
SO ray radovic trueheart coburn
FR schutte hughes

am i missing anyone?
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

You got the roster correct Cactus; I think we all expect two more players to be signed with one being a JUCO or grad transfer. My assumption is the last scholarship stays open.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

The Shadow wrote:Are the board readers aware that about nine current players and recruits for Pittsburgh of the ACC are now about to select new playing locations for 2018-19 because of a coaching change? I am quite sure Coach M is aware of this situation. I hope he has considered contacting some of these players.
i doubt they will be able to sniff PG marcus carr but that would be some kind of get. from toronto originally.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HU offers JUCO SG Kawanise Wilkins.

At 6'6" and 230 lbs. kid is built more like a forward. Check out his video - actually shows some defensive highlights, blocks, etc. Kid also averages about 15 ppg with 9 rebs. Maybe he is one of those types who can wreak havoc on opposing guards with a huge advantage in size/bulk. Seems to shoot from anywhere on the court. Flexibility/ defense/size = maybe, maybe, maybe. Has 3 years of eligibility.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/kawanise-wilkins
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Cards wrote:HU offers JUCO SG Kawanise Wilkins.

At 6'6" and 230 lbs. kid is built more like a forward. Check out his video - actually shows some defensive highlights, blocks, etc. Kid also averages about 15 ppg with 9 rebs. Maybe he is one of those types who can wreak havoc on opposing guards with a huge advantage in size/bulk. Seems to shoot from anywhere on the court. Flexibility/ defense/size = maybe, maybe, maybe. Has 3 years of eligibility.

I think he is for the 2019 class; so would be 2 years of eligibility left for us.
Cards

Post by Cards »

I thought that JUCO players could leave school at any time - meaning, following a freshman season to a D1 with 3 years left or (the more common route) after two years at JUCO with 2 remaining for D1.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Transfer list exploding! There are some 164 players listed on Verbal Commits. Looks like Evansville is self destructing like Pitt. Have to assume the coach is gone. Of interest there is John Hall a 6-7 kid out of Philadelphia...not sure of the status of the NCAA transfer rule provisions. There was talk about kids leaving programs where the coach left, they would not have to sit a year.
Anyone know status of that?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

A lot of schools chasing after him and we appear late to the game. The fact that he's from the midwest might give teams like Bradley,ISU AND KENT STATE an advantage!
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Ameen Tanksley 2.0!