Game 4 - @Maryland, 11/19/21, 6:30 PM EST

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: Game 4 - @Maryland, 11/19/21, 6:30 PM EST

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote: Ok so its pretty amazing how when the schedule was first posted, NOBODY thought we would have a chance against these guys.
The goal post shift (sorry for the metaphor as we are of course still hurting from what happened with HU's football program!) - not to take away from the great effort HU gave in Houston, but Houston has clearly played much better since that game and I think the Cougars took Hofstra a little light until the final 8 1/2 minutes of regulation and OT. So when that happens and the opportunity presents itself for a big win, and you don't get it, it's disappointing. Suddenly, Houston was not the Houston that was expected or which has played like it has since playing Hofstra.

Similarly, Maryland hasn't yet looked like a team befitting its Top 25 ranking, not before the Terps played George Mason, especially not in losing to Mason and not against Hofstra.

So when you see that, things change. And that's why it's disappointing, because what HU was actually facing, at least on those two nights, was not what they thought they might face going in.

But like I said in some other posts above, let's give this time to all play out. Those two losses could prove to be very beneficial in Jan, Feb, especially in March. If HU accomplishes what we all hope it will by the end of the season, Speedy, the staff and the team might be talking about those close losses in Houston and College Park as confidence-building, teachable moments that helped the team achieve its much bigger goals for the season.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Days later and I'm STILL disgusted lol. I love the concept though daHUPride :D These 2 choke jobs sting, I don't care how many hours go by. The fact that Maryland (who I think might get smacked by a surging VT program) is not a real top 20 team makes it even worse. Numerous mids have already made their mark on the season, while HU continues to be an afterthought at best (once again) when it SHOULD be the talk.

That said, early season isn't what matters most, it's how you finish. I do believe these games will help toughen them up and get them comfortable with playing with top end teams. In theory it should help HU navigate the regular season. But this OOC will do nothing to help HU win 3 in 3. And if HU isn't careful, if they don't start winning some of these tough games, they may find themselves fighting off the foundation of a losing culture. You have to win some games, esp when you can.

The CAA will once again be a challenge for HU to win. It's a league full of parity. All this SOS stuff doesn't mean HU is going to run them ragged. Other conf teams have already shown they are just as good. My bet is it will be a dogfight every game to win the league, as usual. Would love to be wrong and HU runs the table!

The amount of losing justification this fanbase goes through every year to help cope with the letdowns and disappointments is epic. The expectations and standards of this program are too low for my liking. I know we aren't a big time brand/team, but the small time thinking around this program (from the school to the fans) has to go. What are we talking about Iona being a barometer for?? Pitino isn't landing 5 star Duke kids. When is HOFSTRA going to be the barometer?? We need to raise the bar.

As far as Silverio, he needs to see the BENCH more. What he did against UMD was 100% selfish. This kid is out there acting like he's the star of every game. There is no way in HELL he's making that shot from nearly half court, and the fact that he thinks HE should be taking it when super seniors Ray and Cooks are on the floor is mind-boggling. He needs to be firmly corrected about his role on this team, and learn his place in the pecking order. I like him at certain points of games, I appreciate the kid, but he needs to be taught the game he's playing and given proper expectations to meet. And the pine does wonders for that.

Where is Bethea??? Half this roster is out on IL lol. I'm cool with us helping out kids, but this team needs guys who can actually PLAY in the game and contribute some ROI. I've never seen a team pay for so many players who can't play in my life! Injuries happen, but again, where is the strength and conditioning??

And Tomasco?? LOL this is a practice / scout team player guys. Not knocking him, that's his role. Some of you get so wrapped up in support role guys like they should be out there. No, they should not. He is like that French kid Ros from a few years ago. Helpful to sharpen the saw, but he is not going to play in or impact games. I know HU has no one in the middle, so they can throw him out there to get slaughtered just to add a body.

But we know that won't win. This isn't about Tomasco. It's hopefully a smack in the face for Speedy and Parrotta to do a better job recruiting and managing their roster next time. EVERYONE knew those 2 weren't going to be enough. I expect better from this staff going forward.

That said, they are making do and still being effective in that old school Jay Wright 4 guard / 1 big in the middle set - great points cactus and Dooku - I will def give the staff kudos there - this team is MUCH better on D (swarming is a great word), and crashing the boards a lot better than expected. For that, they will give themselves a chance to win nearly every game. Now they just need to finish!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

As the college basketball world turns but after 8 games. There must be something here that we don't know about it's too early in the season and he has been there a long time.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Perhaps TC, but there doesn't have to be anything else going on there... College sports is 100% a big money business. Maryland is a hoops powerhouse that has vastly underperformed. I have an uncle who is an alum and still pretty in tune with the sports there, and the thought is the alum / boosters / donors have lost their patience and felt it's time for a change. In addition to losing to VT at home the other day, a prized 4 star recruit from last year decided to enter the portal. Only made the NCAAT 5 times in 10 years, with just 1 Sweet 16. For UMD that's bad.

Early in the year yes, but not unheard of, for better or worse, this is the way college sports is working nowadays - too much money on the line to wait around for things to fall in place.

The Terps have tremendous pedigree and should be a top 15 program nearly every year. I think they should hire Rick Pitino - I know he's getting old, but he's still got it, and I bet he'd have them top 1/3 of the ACC in 2 years. Heck he could prob have them deep in the NCAAT in year 1.

Would love to get Pitino away from HU lol :P
Captain

Post by Captain »

Hey Polito Even Pitino can’t get Maryland into the top of the ACC since they play in the Big 10 now lol.
Those are mistakes I would make posting this at 1 am too so you are allowed a goof at that time.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote: Early in the year yes, but not unheard of, for better or worse, this is the way college sports is working nowadays - too much money on the line to wait around for things to fall in place.
One advantage of being a mid-major is not paying tens of millions of dollars to fired Football coaches. How many employers have to pay former employees more than almost every current employee? Washington State fired their Football coach for not following Covid rules, and he was the highest paid employee by the state of Washington.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Hey Polito Even Pitino can’t get Maryland into the top of the ACC since they play in the Big 10 now lol.
Those are mistakes I would make posting this at 1 am too so you are allowed a goof at that time.
Hahahaha :lol: wow, old school sip right there Captain! Yep, late night posting can be dangerous LOL

Either way, ACC or Big 10, he'd have them at the top in 2-3 years - I'd bet good money on it.

Although I agree in part regarding not having to worry about the big money in P5 football, the counter to that mids also make nothing compared to them - those schools print money, they can afford it. College football P5 HC gigs are incredible, and their buyouts for failing are even more incredible - hey, God bless them if they can get one of the few HC jobs in the world at that level - more power to them.

And their football literally pay in full for the entire athletic departments - in some ways good to not have that complexity, but in other ways it sucks to have no money to make big moves.