App St @MSG on Sunday

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Re: App St @MSG on Sunday

Post by EvanJ »

ProudofPride wrote: For those who went, how was attendance? The WRHU announcers didn't really mention the crowd at all
The attendance was announced at 7,196.

http://gohofstra.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=6967 is the box score. Hofstra had 2 fast break points and Appalachian State didn't have any.

http://www.appstatesports.com/ViewArtic ... M_ID=21500 is Appalachian State's recap.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Thats total tickets sold for the doubleheader.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

There were no more than 2,000 in the building at the end of the Hofstra game.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

HUSID80 wrote:There were no more than 2,000 in the building at the end of the Hofstra game.
Were there at least more Hofstra fans than App State fans?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Hard to tell...maybe about even...the Giant-Jet game surely cut into our crowd.
pridehoops2015

Post by pridehoops2015 »

We are 6-2. We won yesterday. I understand not always being happy but some of you take it to a whole nother level.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

3 more recaps, from Daly Dose of Hoops, NYC Buckets, and Newsday
http://dalydoseofhoops.blogspot.com/201 ... gures.html
http://www.nycbuckets.com/2015/12/hofst ... confident/
http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/h ... 1.11199392

I'm glad to see JAM's comments on the poor defense, but now he needs to realize that something actually does need to change.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

PH2015 we have been down this road before. I dont know how long you have been following Hofstra mens basketball. Can anyone tell me when the last time a Hofstra team has overachieved in mens basketball. I am glad that JAM realizes that if he wants to win the CAA regular season and tourney the D really needs to tighten up. Guys the CAA can really be a two bid conference this year based on the CAAs OOC schedule record. We really need to either win the regular season or the CAA tourney. Even if we win the regular season we need to get to the championship game to get an at large. I think 14-4 is the conference record we need.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I see Siena as a trap game.
pridehoops2015

Post by pridehoops2015 »

stuball888 wrote:I see Siena as a trap game.
not a chance. last game before a long break and three people with our program know how good that team can be and how hard of a place that is to play. we might lose but it wont be because it is a trap game.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: Even if we win the regular season we need to get to the championship game to get an at large. I think 14-4 is the conference record we need.
We were 24-6 before the 2006 Selection Show. If we win all our remaining out of conference games, go 14-4 in CAA play, and lose in the CAA Final, we'll be 25-7 before Selection Sunday (excluding our win over Molloy). If we're 25-7 and don't win the regular season or CAA Tournament, my guess is we don't get an at-large bid.

Green, Tanksley, and Bernardi are all in the Top 7 in the CAA in points per game. Since Hofstra joined the CAA, no team has had three of the Top 7 scorers in a season.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

EvanJ wrote:
stuball888 wrote: Even if we win the regular season we need to get to the championship game to get an at large. I think 14-4 is the conference record we need.
We were 24-6 before the 2006 Selection Show. If we win all our remaining out of conference games, go 14-4 in CAA play, and lose in the CAA Final, we'll be 25-7 before Selection Sunday (excluding our win over Molloy). If we're 25-7 and don't win the regular season or CAA Tournament, my guess is we don't get an at-large bid.

Green, Tanksley, and Bernardi are all in the Top 7 in the CAA in points per game. Since Hofstra joined the CAA, no team has had three of the Top 7 scorers in a season.
AND all 5 of our starters average double digits in points...we also have 3 of the Top 10 rebounders in a season
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Was at MSG yesterday for the game. First things first, we won. Juan'ya was a real leader out there, Rokas never stopped battling down low, and Bernardi used dribble penetration on numerous occasions to score from somewhere besides the 3 pt line, including a few pretty drives to the basket and pull up J's from 15 feet. There were definite positives, and we WON, so that's the most important thing.

Eaves was unconscious for a good 10 minute stretch, nailing 3's from the parking lot with Ameen's hand still in his face. I think it's important to note that, but I also think JM should have adjusted sooner. We went to man-to-man at the end with Malik face-guarding Eaves, and it was very effective down the stretch. Should have happened earlier!

Rebounding was tough for sure, and it showed badly. They had more size than I expected from looking at past box scores, but it's no excuse. We need to team rebound better, and guys like Ameen, Denton, and Malik need to assert themselves more-- It's an important part of their role. Juan'ya can't be our second leading rebounder.

Lastly, our offense in the first half was as stagnant as I've ever seen it. We ran NUMEROUS iso's for guys like Ameen and Malik, which slowed our pace and created more turnovers and bad shots than points. It was a real head-scratcher, especially against a team like App State. We have some of the best long range guys in the country, shot 50% from 3 for the game, and yet our inferior opponent took more attempts from there, which is what really kept this one close. It seems to me that the games where we get bernardi, juan'ya and Ameen going from long range are the games that open up the most and play to our strengths. I'd be interested to know why we went away from that early on in this one, as it definitely wasn't because of a stifling defense.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

EvanJ wrote:
Long way to go, and I'm in the camp that says HU will almost never be able to get an at large, but if they do exactly what you said, I see 2 big differences from 2006. They did not have a signature win in '06. Let's hope Florida St has a big season this year. Also where will the 14-4 record this year place us? If it's 1st place then that would be better than the 3rd place regular season finish from 2006 which was a factor in the snub even though HU beat a team ahead of them twice.

The other thing to consider is the RPI. What if HU goes 25-7 but their RPI is 50? No shot. It needs to be top 30 to be in the conversation.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Was at the game as well (but with my 5 year old so couldn't watch as intently as possible)...

I loved how aggressive Bernardi was in the first half - had a few really once drives to the hoop. The issue was finishing - he missed most of them. If he and Rokas hit their layups, we would have had the lead early and probably change the path of the entire game. Many inside misses. Which takes me to Gustys. I really want him to take the next step, but his hands were like bricks yesterday. Had a real hard time handling passes and rebounds. If he can figure that out (and improve even a little on FTs), he could be the best big man we have had. His rebounding numbers look good, but if you look at how many offensive boards App. St. had, then you know that he (and the rest of the team) could have done better.

Juan'ya was great. Was involved in all of the big moments.
Tanksley put up a pretty quiet 18. He did hit a big 3 to put the game away.
Koon was very quiet - wish he would be a little more aggressive.
Nichols played more of his game - not taking unnecessary shots and bringing energy and some D.
Really like what we have seen from Buie so far - I think with continued playing time, he may be a bigger contributor this year than originally thought.

Obviously defense is a major concern. App St. seemed to be able to create a shot at will. Quick dribble, create space, stop and pop. Good shooters will be able to kill Hoftsra with that.
Polito

Post by Polito »

My keys were to contain Eaves and to shut down Shabazz (who HU recruited) - HU did half holding down Shabazz, but Eaves obviously went to town - kid is legit, a talented Sr star - I expected him to get his points like Price, 25+ range, but both went off - it's an issue somewhat, but remember, those guys are going to score - it's a matter of shutting down their other options and creating a one-dimensional opponent - HU is doing that and it opens the door to win - they do need to do a better job, you don't want guys setting records against you, but let's remember this is about WINNING.

Bernardi: Now you see why I defended him! Kid is playing tremendous - he was tasked to work on his game and improve his skill set - he's CLEARLY done that and it's showing big time - I was on his case last yr as the expectations where high, he has come through with flying colors this yr and deserves high praise - game changer - already salivating for his Sr campaign!
Green: A true floor general, one of the best HU PG's ever - an improved player, and a lot less whining - another guy who worked on his game and himself, and it shows - what's he's doing to run the O and facilitate his teammates is big time play - believe he's got a real pro shot - Knicks blew it on Speedy, hope they wise up!
Rokas: Another double-double - and it wasn't even a great game for him - sky is the limit - FT's stink, but this is one of the missing pieces down low HU has needed for yrs - just needs time/development, and HELP

There are clear defensive issues, and clear depth issues - those 2 things really concern me in regards to winning 3 in 3 - HU can win a lot of 1-1 games, they are a strong team, confident, and an O that can NEVER be counted out - the comebacks are impressive - they DEF shouldn't need to, one of my biggest gripes, but also have to look at it from opponents perspective, NO lead is safe.

Rebounding is frustrating - there are times when they perform well, and then times they make you wonder - it's a major key to a shooting offense, so they need to continue working on that - give this team more 2nd chance opps and take away the opponents, and the big deficits go away - but to me biggest thing is better D overall

PLENTY to work on if this team really expects to go dancing. But let's not lose sight the team is winning, AND the ENTIRE starting 5 is averaging double-figures - has that EVER happened at HU before??? I mean that HAS to be commended - this team is balanced, productive, and dangerous - Like JM said, pick your poison - that kind of O can't be shut down, that is HUGE - unless you're UKish, I don't know of any mid with that kind of production distribution.

And HU may not be able to really earn an at-large this yr, but someone in the CAA might - this conf is making a comeback, and HU CAN land one in the future with improved scheduling and P5 wins - by the way, FSU beat up on VCU, and now sport the top 2 scoring freshmen in the COUNTRY - you guys are wetting your pants about Siena and SBU and discounting that HU has already battled with the ACC, SEC, and A10 - respect goes both ways - those games will be battles, no doubt, Siena and SBU are quality teams - but to think that HU won't be ready or able to play with them is just ridiculous. It's ours against there's, because remember, THEY also have to figure out how to handle HU - let's rock.

Attendance: quite simple: 1) Jets/Giants, 2) SJU is not good (hehe) - they as a program/fanbase were quite embarrassed by their loss to Fordham - guarantee that took away fans teetering on going 3) Like I said, game at the Garden is great - against App St? Huh? Zzzz. Schedule better folks. And Holiday Festival people, please get your ish together and get this back to tourney format and quality matchups. I continue to be amazed at some of the marketing stupidity/laziness/confusion/misfires/fill in the blank that is occurring this yr. If there are any more jobs that require no effort/results to still get paid, please let us all know - sure we can help.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

I'm not sure why Hofstra didn't mention this at all, but during halftime of the first game at MSG yesterday, Speedy was presented with a lifetime achievement award from the ECAC. Here's an article about it, along with the other 3 honorees, and a picture of the 4 together.

https://ecacsports.prestosports.com/new ... y_Festival
http://image-store.slidesharecdn.com/77 ... ginal.jpeg
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Something else no one seemed to notice. Appy States head coach Jim Fox from Levittown NY is the brother of former Hofstra player Jeff Fox.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Jim Fox also coached at Davidson with former Hofstra guard Bob McKillop.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

I just got a chance to look at all of the pictures from the game. I'm glad they brought the dance team, cheerleaders, and band. That probably at least helped to create somewhat of a home court advantage. Plus I'm sure it was a cool experience for them all to get to perform there. I didn't even realize they went until I saw the pictures.