MBB Game 17 - @ Elon - 1/10/15, 8 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Flying Dutchmen

Re: MBB Game 17 - @ Elon - 1/10/15, 8 PM

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

We should beat Elon like that every time we play them. Elon is the perfect matchup for us; very undersized, they barely defend the three, and not a good offensive team. Regardless, I thought Elon had a great effort last night, at least in the second half which I was able to see. We hit a few shots that I was sure would take them out of the game, yet they stuck around.

We shot the ball incredibly well in the second half. Bernardi looked like a man possessed, that's a problem for the rest of the CAA. Loving Rokas' intensity on both sides of the ball, I think he's developing some more touch around the hoop as well, which will draw defenders to the paint, and will help keep the perimeter open for our shooters. Concerned about Kone, he didn't come back in the game after falling awkwardly on his left knee, we cannot afford to lose him for even a game right now. Tanksley and Green have been dominant in CAA play, Juan'ya looks like he's in complete control of the offense right now.

This has been an excellent start to CAA play for our team. We needed a few dog fights after our very soft OOC schedule. The team defense has been great, we matchup better with our CAA foes better than I thought we would, we have not faced a team that can keep up with our offense. The shooting has been streaky, but when it's on, our opponents do not have a chance.

Northeastern is sitting at 64 in the RPI right now, the game on Wednesday might end up being our toughest conference test of the season. Not a particularly good matchup with Eatherton, who could have a Warney-like performance on us. We win Wednesday, we put Northeastern in a two game hole for the conference lead, which may be too much considering how we're playing right now.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Flying Dutchmen wrote: Elon is the perfect matchup for us; very undersized, they barely defend the three, and not a good offensive team.
That's not true. Elon entered the game allowing opponents to make only .298 of their three-pointers.
HofstraFan101

Post by HofstraFan101 »

EvanJ wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote: Elon is the perfect matchup for us; very undersized, they barely defend the three, and not a good offensive team.
That's not true. Elon entered the game allowing opponents to make only .298 of their three-pointers.
Stats aren't everything... If you watched the game it was evident they weren't defending the three well.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Has JAM has said you can't defend everything against us...and the better we get inside the better our outside shooting will be
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Even the Elon announcers said that Hofstra has many weapons. BTW- I you go to the CAAsports site and click the twitter link you can see highlights of the Hofstra-Elon game.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

To prove how good we are offensively, here's a tweet from a Drexel fan.
Dragons Speak ‏@DragonsSpeak 2h2 hours ago
Stat of the year: Just ridiculous. Currently Damion Lee is 5th in offensive efficiency amongst CAA guards. Behind 4 Hofstra players!!!
https://twitter.com/DragonsSpeak/status ... 5820450817
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HofstraFan101 wrote:
EvanJ wrote:
Stats aren't everything... If you watched the game it was evident they weren't defending the three well.
I'm not denying how Elon defended the three against us, but in general they defend the three well.
ProudofPride wrote: To prove how good we are offensively, here's a tweet from a Drexel fan.
Dragons Speak ‏@DragonsSpeak 2h2 hours ago
Stat of the year: Just ridiculous. Currently Damion Lee is 5th in offensive efficiency amongst CAA guards. Behind 4 Hofstra players!!!
https://twitter.com/DragonsSpeak/status ... 5820450817
Well I wouldn't be surprised if there were a handful of teams or fewer out of 351 with four guards averaging over 10 points.
Polito

Post by Polito »

lol LOVE HU frustrating other CAA fans :D

biggest thing to me that JM has noted is that this team distributes the ball very well, and they shoot it well - when you can both pass the ball AND have every player on the court able to score, that is extremely tough to beat

agreed Evan, HU has the special capability to have any combo of 6-7 different guys hit for double figs - AND they rebound very well for a smaller team - this is stuff not often seen on the mid level, and can take this team very far - JM and staff have done a great job putting together the right pieces to the puzzle that was once a jumbled mess
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

EvanJ wrote:
I saw that, but it's a misleading statistic. Look at Elon's shots against, many of their opponents take an inordinate amount of 2pt field goal attempts, taking advantage of Elon's undersized frontcourt. W&M lit them up, shooting 39% as well.

It's starting to really come together. I still don't think we're playing at our best ability, but we have shown flashes, like in the second half of the Elon game. A lot of how far we go this year will be determined by how much productivity we can get from the frontcourt, mainly on the defensive side of the ball, because we have enough offense from the guards. Gustys has been as good as advertised to this point.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
EvanJ wrote:
I saw that, but it's a misleading statistic. Look at Elon's shots against, many of their opponents take an inordinate amount of 2pt field goal attempts, taking advantage of Elon's undersized frontcourt. W&M lit them up, shooting 39% as well.
Percent of opponent's field goal attempts that were three-pointers:

James Madison: 37.4%
William & Mary: 36.4%
Delaware: 36.5%
Hofstra: 35.2%
Elon: 35.0%
Towson: 31.7%
College of Charleston: 31.5%
UNC Wilmington: 30.8%
Drexel: 29.8%
Northeastern: 26.7%

Elon is in the top half, so I disagree with what you said about how many two-pointers their opponents attempt.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp-9bzmF-2Y is highlights from Elon. I counted 22 of their field goals and none of ours. Elon made 25 field goals, so the highlights showed most of them.