Justin Wright-Foreman declaring for the NBA?

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Re: Justin Wright-Foreman declaring for the NBA?

Post by stuball888 »

Also there is a $1,000,000 exit fee
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:Also there is a $1,000,000 exit fee
A sobering reminder once again thanks Stu!!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

You can thank Rabinowitz for that one. He thought that would stabilized the CAA but all it did was pidgeon toe us in the CAA with very little options to go elsewhere.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:You can thank Rabinowitz for that one. He thought that would stabilized the CAA but all it did was pidgeon toe us in the CAA with very little options to go elsewhere.
I've said it before and I'll say it again we could be worse off somewhere else. As far as basketball is concerned it's a league that's very respectable and if we have a few teams that are building a strong resume during a given year there's always a possibility of getting an at large bid along with the automatic bid. The team needs to deserve it though with a strong case(wins) against a P5 league etc. Instead of looking to jump ship why not look to make this league more equitable for the northern teams?
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

triplec2195 wrote:
stuball888 wrote:You can thank Rabinowitz for that one. He thought that would stabilized the CAA but all it did was pidgeon toe us in the CAA with very little options to go elsewhere.
I've said it before and I'll say it again we could be worse off somewhere else. As far as basketball is concerned it's a league that's very respectable and if we have a few teams that are building a strong resume during a given year there's always a possibility of getting an at large bid along with the automatic bid. The team needs to deserve it though with a strong case(wins) against a P5 league etc. Instead of looking to jump ship why not look to make this league more equitable for the northern teams?
Agreed triplec. Outside of the A10 there is no current league that would be appropriate for Hofstra...why don't we just win the damned thing a couple of times and maybe the A10 will come calling to replace Fordham, which has no business being there.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Seriously- it's not "where does Hofstra want to go?", it's "who wants Hofstra?"
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To HofstraHockey, That is why I believe NU and DU should go along with HU. All three together make a better impression than one college by itself. None of these three have football and are very good academic colleges. As Stuball 888 says, " Be proactive, not reactive."
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

The Shadow wrote:To HofstraHockey, That is why I believe NU and DU should go along with HU. All three together make a better impression than one college by itself. None of these three have football and are very good academic colleges. As Stuball 888 says, " Be proactive, not reactive."
But where do we go???? That is the $64,000 question.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To HUSID74, That is a very difficult question. All of the present eastern conferences have their own individual strengths and weaknesses. I expect new AD Cole has some thoughts on the subject. I would not mind a few additions of northern private schools to the CAA to balance out the conference. I realize that this idea would probably not be acceptable to the other southern conference members. Maybe a new idea could be worked out, for example divisions to reduce some of the travel. The travel expenses for the northern colleges must be a large amount. I feel that many of the posters on the board believe that new options should be explored. If there are no acceptable conferences, then try to make the present CAA better. I still believe HU, NU, and DU should act as a group.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

The only other private schools up here that would maybe be a fit are who, Quinnipiac and Sacred Heart? St. Joseph's?
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To HofstraHockey, I do not think St. Joseph's would want to leave the A-10 for a new conference. The other two choices could be a good starting point. How about Hartford? I believe it may be the only private college in the AE conference. All the posters could start thinking to come up with a list of viable choices for an expanded CAA, or a new eastern group that could try to satisfy the various needs all the members may require. Maybe NU, DU, and HU could consider a return to the AE.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Bryant
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

cactus wrote: The CAA is not a terrible overall league, but it's terrible compared to what it used to be, when they did get multiple bids. The only chance someone in the CAA gets an at large bid next year is if they win 30 games and lose by 1 in triple overtime in the conference tourney final.
The CAA is not terrible compared to what it used to be. The CAA was ninth in the Conference RPI in 2010-2011 and 2015-2016. It may seem better in 2010-2011 because the CAA got three NCAA Tournament teams and VCU reached the Final Four, but the Conference RPI rank was the same. The value was a little higher in 2010-2011, but I would say 2015-2016 was more impressive because there is now the American Athletic Conference that didn't exist in 2010-2011. The CAA was 12th in 2017-2018, which is better than the rank of 14th in 2011-2012, which was the last season with 12 teams. One pet peeve I have with CAA fans (not just you) is the claim that the CAA is so much worse now that can be disproved by numbers. Starting with 2005-2006 when George Mason got an at-large bid, the CAA got 4 at-large bids in its 7 seasons with 12 teams, so the CAA has never gotten at-large bids regularly.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

EvanJ wrote:
cactus wrote: The CAA is not a terrible overall league, but it's terrible compared to what it used to be, when they did get multiple bids. The only chance someone in the CAA gets an at large bid next year is if they win 30 games and lose by 1 in triple overtime in the conference tourney final.
The CAA is not terrible compared to what it used to be. The CAA was ninth in the Conference RPI in 2010-2011 and 2015-2016. It may seem better in 2010-2011 because the CAA got three NCAA Tournament teams and VCU reached the Final Four, but the Conference RPI rank was the same. The value was a little higher in 2010-2011, but I would say 2015-2016 was more impressive because there is now the American Athletic Conference that didn't exist in 2010-2011. The CAA was 12th in 2017-2018, which is better than the rank of 14th in 2011-2012, which was the last season with 12 teams. One pet peeve I have with CAA fans (not just you) is the claim that the CAA is so much worse now that can be disproved by numbers. Starting with 2005-2006 when George Mason got an at-large bid, the CAA got 4 at-large bids in its 7 seasons with 12 teams, so the CAA has never gotten at-large bids regularly.
I appreciate the analysis but I wasnt talking about last year or the last few years. I was talking about the upcoming year after all the transfers and graduating talent.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

cactus wrote:
EvanJ wrote:
I appreciate the analysis but I wasnt talking about last year or the last few years. I was talking about the upcoming year after all the transfers and graduating talent.

Let that be decided on the court. Did anybody expect the CAA to get an at-large bid at the start of 2005-2006?

I'd like to avoid going to the America East and avoid Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont because the travel distances are moderate to long to areas with more snow. I wasn't thinking about Bryant, but that could work. I like having exactly 10 teams. What do you think of Hofstra, Northeastern, Drexel, Delaware, Towson, Bryant, Quinnipiac, Hartford, Rider, and Monmouth? That includes the only private school in the America East and the only non-Christian schools in the MAAC. If you want to make travel partners, they would be Northeastern and Bryant as the easternmost teams, Quinnipiac and Hartford as the Connecticut teams, Hofstra and Monmouth as the suburban teams, Drexel and Rider as teams in or near Philadelphia, and Delaware and Towson as the southernmost teams. Rivals Delaware and Drexel wouldn't be travel partners, but I don't think that matters with a balanced schedule. I wouldn't propose Delaware and Drexel to be in different divisions if there were divisions, which I don't want. I would also be willing to take non-Christian city schools Wagner and/or Long Island University-Brooklyn over Bryant, Hartford, and/or Quinnipiac.
Last edited by EvanJ on Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To Evan J, I like your proposals and the colleges you selected. I did not consider LIUB or WC. I hope something along these lines can be explored to bring some sense to the long travel distances in some of these eastern conferences.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

This should be a good opportunity for JWF:

http://www.gohofstra.com/news/2018/7/28 ... -camp.aspx

Thanks to Coach Claxton for making it happen.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Jojogunne wrote:This should be a good opportunity for JWF:

http://www.gohofstra.com/news/2018/7/28 ... -camp.aspx

Thanks to Coach Claxton for making it happen.
Here is the full roster of players invited, looks to be about 50 total split evenly between high school and college this year:
https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/ ... 27/photo/1
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Here is the pic he posted on social media earlier in the dayImage

Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »