Towson Today

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Dooku25

Re: Towson Today

Post by Dooku25 »

HUSID80 wrote:And I'm sorry, we don't play Walker at all...maybe he should be run off to free that scolarship for next year...can't believe that he can't give us something...it's not like Greer is killing it.
Walker should go. He's an America East type of player. Not sure how well he would do even at that level. He looks lost out there in the few minutes he ever plays. There has been no progression with this kid. Wish him the best either way.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

The bench has no depth to the point where instead of getting better for the future, Pemberton probably feels like he HAS to play with this 'injury' (whatever it may be, seems like ankle problem) potentially making the injury worse.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

On another note, Sabety had 5 blocked shots in 19 mins. I wonder how this levels up to previous records held for blocked shots?
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Dooku25 wrote:After the last game, Joe talked about the 3 days in March being all that mattered and somebody asked him what if it's 4 days? His response was that they weren't even thinking about that. Well after tonight, he'll need to think about it because it will be a reality. I hate to be negative because I love Hofstra hoops but this season is officially over and it's very disappointing. Thought the team turned the corner at the end of the OOC schedule but they have just been dreadful in conference play. And what's up with Gustys? Is he out for the year? We could have used him tonight again a good rebounding team which was the reason we lost.

At this point we really need to focus on the off season and hope the staff lands at least 2 difference makers in the spring signing period otherwise it could be another long season next year too.
I'm not entirely too sure if that's what they NEED to think about. I believe all they need to think about is how to improve (which much is needed of course) and WINNING. This team has proven they can play every team in the conference well, they just haven't proven they could win. They've even proven they can play Kentucky well!

I think calling the season over now is a waste of energy. This isn't the NFL where halfway through the season many of the teams have already thrown in the towel and looked towards next year. I know our record doesn't show too much, but I think in college basketball, the season isn't over until you lose in the tourney. Just like during the Drexel game, "The game isn't over until there's three zeroes on the clock"
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Jordan wrote: I'm not entirely too sure if that's what they NEED to think about. I believe all they need to think about is how to improve (which much is needed of course) and WINNING. This team has proven they can play every team in the conference well, they just haven't proven they could win. They've even proven they can play Kentucky well!

I think calling the season over now is a waste of energy. This isn't the NFL where halfway through the season many of the teams have already thrown in the towel and looked towards next year. I know our record doesn't show too much, but I think in college basketball, the season isn't over until you lose in the tourney. Just like during the Drexel game, "The game isn't over until there's three zeroes on the clock"
For all intents and purposes, from a fan's perspective, the season is over. I would hope the players and staff feel differently and play out the schedule and conference tournament like they still have a chance. But as a fan, you cannot seriously think they can win 4 games in 4 days? After last night's results, that is now what it would take. I'll still be watching the team for the remainder of the season but with no real hope of accomplishing the goal we all wanted them to achieve.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Not to be pessimistic, but I made this statement last week before the UD and Drexel wins. And it's still true. The only thing they should keep fighting for is to somehow stay out of Friday and win 1 game in the CAAT. This team just isn't good enough right now to do more.

But I will say they are not too far off, believe it or not. This Towson game is more proof.

Towson should've killed HU by 15+ with their size, depth, and experience...and HU playing with no Rok. Yet HU could've just as easily won.

VERY sloppy game on both sides. A lot of bad TO's, poor passing, and missed easy buckets (looking at you Sabety). Eli's play has nothing to do with coaching. He is a freshman, injured, and still a bit inconsistent. But he has big ability, upside, and future alongside JWF.

JWF is a stud, and really making a name for himself. He's not quite ready to put the team/program on his back just yet, but he's getting there. And when he does, ideally soon, look out.

Next year this team needs a stud point who can effectively dish the rock, and a stretch 4 that can actually play D1 basketball. I am sorry to say this as he seems like a great young man and I am glad he chose HU to continue his comeback, but Greer is a terrible player. He is LOST and 100% SOFT. Always out of position and not a good shooter - he got an earful early in the game on a major gaff in the post on D. His play is baffling and unacceptable, regardless of his continued rehab - he's just playing awful fundamental ball. He needs to sit next year, max 10 min/game.

The 0 production from the 4 is really really killing this team. I pray Trueheart is ready to rock next year. He should be salivating at the opp.

And I agree Walker should go, and HU should encourage it. Appreciate his time here and that he chose HU, but let's get the scholly back.

Some really whacky stuff happened in the CAA last night - never know, HU could still find themselves playing Sat first. And this is at least a team that will cause someone problems - whoever plays them will at least get a battle, and hopefully HU can upset 1.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

HUSID80 wrote:We just don't have the bodies and depth to be a factor this year. Without Rok available we are severely limited upfront, playing seven guys against teams like Towson who played 11 guys. This has to change. We need more and bigger bodies to compete in this League. And I'm sorry, we don't play Walker at all...maybe he should be run off to free that scolarship for next year...can't believe that he can't give us something...it's not like Greer is killing it.
Many of us have advocated giving Walker some minutes - seems like you might be finally leaning a bit that way. We all agree (I believe) the season is virtually over ( except for a tourney we can't possible win) so why not start Walker or play him off the bench for 15-20 mins (not 3-5) As you pointed out Greer not exactly killing it ( you're being kind). Nothing to lose but another game.
As for running him out of Dodge - why ? We can't get the requisite amount of roster players now - why add another vacant spot ?
PS-Of course the intelligent thing would be to redshirt Walker next year - at least you'd have 1 big for '18-19 when ROK and Sabety are gone. Will be forever down on Coaching Staff for not getting something out of a 6'10" athlete. I will however give them some credit for have 8 3.0 student/athletes (including Walker) on team. Unfortunately doesn't translate to W's
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Dooku25 wrote:
Jordan wrote: I'm not entirely too sure if that's what they NEED to think about. I believe all they need to think about is how to improve (which much is needed of course) and WINNING. This team has proven they can play every team in the conference well, they just haven't proven they could win. They've even proven they can play Kentucky well!

For all intents and purposes, from a fan's perspective, the season is over. I would hope the players and staff feel differently and play out the schedule and conference tournament like they still have a chance. But as a fan, you cannot seriously think they can win 4 games in 4 days? After last night's results, that is now what it would take. I'll still be watching the team for the remainder of the season but with no real hope of accomplishing the goal we all wanted them to achieve.
Fully understandable. I can agree that I sure hope the team hasn't lost hope and hasn't called the season off. I can agree that as a fan it seems kinda ridiculous to expect 4 wins in 4 days. I also can see that the Towson and Northeastern games were must wins, and so far the Towson game has proven this team has a hard time winning. I just know that there's still 5 more games left in the season, and we're not even in dead last. It's a long shot of course! But I don't doubt this team has the ability to surprise us and try to inch our way out of the Friday game.

Just trying to throw some optimism in this sea of pessimism. Realistically, I don't expect much from the rest of the season. But, love to keep the options open. Anything can happen, that's the beauty of college basketball.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Call me a sick fan but I still think something positive can come of the remainder of this season. Yes I too I am really tired of the "we have a short bench" scenarios which none of us expected this year. With the injury to Rok we saw some good things with Sabety. Somehow with this outsized group of players with no room for error we competed with some much bigger, deeper teams. If/when the Rok returns, a major factor will be the ability to have Rok and a more confident Hunter in the paint. This team does have (offensive) talent and I don't think they are mailing anything in. At this point in the season and the tournament,if healthy they have nothing to lose and something to prove. No expectations other than the ones they give themselves.
Like a said, call me a sick fan who would welcome a little more from this season.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

You are definitely NOT sick. I'm with you.

I am not afraid of anyone in front of us and I remember being the higher seed and being deathly afraid of a team with nothing to lose who can play.

Improbable ? Sure

Impossible ? No.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Glad this wasn't a lot more serious.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... -shooting/