2022 CAA Tournament

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: 2022 CAA Tournament

Post by HUSID80 »

triplec2195 wrote:It just amazes me the kind of games kids like Timberlake have against us and in a game where everything is on the line he shoots 4-13 and 2-8 from three with three rebounds in 37 minutes. Also look at the Charleston game Meeks all world against us and last night he shoots 3-12 playing 31 minutes. He scores 8 points and only shoots two three's hitting 1 because they probably had him smothered every time he touched the ball. NO POINTS for Smart or Faye 3 points for Smith who got them all from the foul line, NO THREE'S!! Hofstra D NEEDS A MAJOR REVAMPING or maybe the kids playing it need a major shakeup. We need kids who want to play D more then just score and shoot THREE'S. TOWSON SHOT 4-23 from beyond due to Delawares D?? Charleston shot 4-13 from beyond and from the foul line 7-13. I think teams just get up for beating Hofstra because these teams were playing speaking in general terms far better against us?? Of course our D lends itself to that for sure.
Agreed, we don't play defense no matter what anyone tells you. Night after night someone one the other team goes for a career outing against us only to be shut down the next game...hopefully our coaches have noticed as well and will makes changes, or get some kids who want to play on both ends of the court.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:
Wags wrote:This conference continues to confound. Towson dominates the remainder of that resumed game against Delaware to capture the top seed for the tournament, only to be convincingly outplayed and eliminated as the 1 seed by Delaware.
Like we said, tough to beat a team three times...just look at us and Charleston.
But UNCW beat Charleston three times. So, you never know in this conference. It's very competitive, and if you win it, you really earn it.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Who do we root for in the title game tonight? Do we root for the north (and the former America East) over the south, or do we root against one of our two biggest all-time rivals?
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Wags wrote:Who do we root for in the title game tonight? Do we root for the north (and the former America East) over the south, or do we root against one of our two biggest all-time rivals?
Could not care less.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:Who do we root for in the title game tonight? Do we root for the north (and the former America East) over the south, or do we root against one of our two biggest all-time rivals?
That's a tough one I'd say just watch this one and don't root for anyone.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I honestly would prefer to see Delaware win...not a huge fan of the UNCW folks...their arrogance is only surpassed by JMU, good riddance to them!

Delaware is one of our longest time rivals and has always been a big supporter of Hofstra.

Way back when they lobbied for us to get into the Atlantic Ten for football when we had no options and also paved the way for us, along with Drexel and Towson to join the CAA.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:I honestly would prefer to see Delaware win...not a huge fan of the UNCW folks...their arrogance is only surpassed by JMU, good riddance to them!

Delaware is one of our longest time rivals and has always been a big supporter of Hofstra.

Way back when they lobbied for us to get into the Atlantic Ten for football when we had no options and also paved the way for us, along with Drexel and Towson to join the CAA.
Delaware is actually a 2 1/2-point favorite, despite being a 5 seed against a 2 seed that's a co-regular season champion.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Congrats to Delaware.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Ingelsby challenged his team to play much better D before the tourney.

They allowed 56, 56, and 55 in DC. Never scored 70 in DC, and didn't have to.

Hofstra? Allowed 55 in the FIRST HALF.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Bingo. Similar to our run in 2019-2020
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Congrats to Delaware I didn't think I would ever say that but they came back from the cellar almost to win this and if you look at the box score the players you would have thought put them over the top had poor games both Anderson and Painter. Same is true for UNCW WHO AS WELL AS THEY PLAYED ALL YEAR GOT LITTLE RESPECT?? To be underdogs as the 2 seed to a 5 seed. I wonder as a HU fan forever what this game would have looked like if we were playing Delaware having played them tough all year?? Oh what might have been!!
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:Congrats to Delaware I didn't think I would ever say that but they came back from the cellar almost to win this and if you look at the box score the players you would have thought put them over the top had poor games both Anderson and Painter. Same is true for UNCW WHO AS WELL AS THEY PLAYED ALL YEAR GOT LITTLE RESPECT?? To be underdogs as the 2 seed to a 5 seed. I wonder as a HU fan forever what this game would have looked like if we were playing Delaware having played them tough all year?? Oh what might have been!!
It's a shame because Hofstra swept Delaware, played very well overall in winning at Delaware this season, and had more offensive firepower than Drexel, Towson, or UNCW. So, even though Delaware's defense was vastly improved and great throughout the tourney, HU might've scored enough to beat Delaware in the finals (and, of course, they would have also had to beat Towson to get to that point). But when you don't play defense against Charleston, you don't deserve nor receive that opportunity. Hoping they see that as a lesson to correct for next year.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

So, what number seed do you think the NCAA will give CAAT Champ Delaware on Sunday? My guess is a #15.
Wags

Post by Wags »

The Shadow wrote:So, what number seed do you think the NCAA will give CAAT Champ Delaware on Sunday? My guess is a #15.
Lunardi has them as the 15 in the Midwest (with the arrow pointing up), playing 2 seed Auburn.

Delaware, by the way, is the first 5 seed to win in the CAA tourney's 40-year history.

I guess Hofstra's two biggest rivals give hope to any team that doesn't finish in the top four next year, since a 6 seed and a 5 seed won in consecutive years.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
The Shadow wrote:So, what number seed do you think the NCAA will give CAAT Champ Delaware on Sunday? My guess is a #15.
Lunardi has them as the 15 in the Midwest (with the arrow pointing up), playing 2 seed Auburn.

Delaware, by the way, is the first 5 seed to win in the CAA tourney's 40-year history.

I guess Hofstra's two biggest rivals give hope to any team that doesn't finish in the top four next year, since a 6 seed and a 5 seed won in consecutive years.
I really don't think many people gave Delaware much of a chance here and it's a bit shocking for some. But did someone know something when they were picked first in the pre-season or this more then likely just pure blind luck? Most people believed this was the year for Towson for sure I did after seeing them play us but no two games are the same often they are stark contrasts. Very odd. Look at our two games against Elon.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

They were picked first because they were a senior ladden team. All their starters Painter, Anderson and others were seniors.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jare Davis played well for them the Providence transfer. All these seniors played subpar games in the final and after losing 8 games in the conference I don't think too may people thought they could win it.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:Jare Davis played well for them the Providence transfer. All these seniors played subpar games in the final and after losing 8 games in the conference I don't think too may people thought they could win it.
Davis didn't just play well, he was the CAA Rookie of the Year and he played like a veteran throughout the tournament.

The talent was still there for Delaware overall. But the main difference was that Ingelsby really challenged his team before the tournament to play much better defense than they often showed while losing those eight regular season CAA games. And they responded, allowing a very consistent 56, 56, and 55 in their three tourney games. That's what made them very different in D.C. than in going 10-8 in CAA regular season play and that's why they won the title.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:Jare Davis played well for them the Providence transfer. All these seniors played subpar games in the final and after losing 8 games in the conference I don't think too may people thought they could win it.
Davis didn't just play well, he was the CAA Rookie of the Year and he played like a veteran throughout the tournament.

The talent was still there for Delaware overall. But the main difference was that Ingelsby really challenged his team before the tournament to play much better defense than they often showed while losing those eight regular season CAA games. And they responded, allowing a very consistent 56, 56, and 55 in their three tourney games. That's what made them very different in D.C. than in going 10-8 in CAA regular season play and that's why they won the title.
Defense wins championships to your point!! Something we lacked more often then not.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Lunardi has Delaware against Duke in the 2/15 game now. Wouldn't be the first time a CAA team knocked out Duke (not that I'd expect it this year).