Looking Ahead to 2020-2021 season

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Mikey77

Re: Looking Ahead to 2020-2021 season

Post by Mikey77 »

So they are selling season tickets to games you can't attend and don't even have a schedule yet? When are they going to try and sell that bridge in Brooklyn? I know I'm being a little harsh under the circumstances, but really?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Mikey77 wrote:So they are selling season tickets to games you can't attend and don't even have a schedule yet? When are they going to try and sell that bridge in Brooklyn? I know I'm being a little harsh under the circumstances, but really?
I hear where you r coming from but having been connected to this program for 45 years I'm in and will support it and stay connected. I also plan on subscribing to Flo Sports to see the games. I want to continue what culminated into fruition last year after a long hiatus to grow and want to show my appreciation for the great year they had last year. I think they deserve this after not being able to play in the NCAA'S last year.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Tiplec, I agree, except have little confidence in Flosports, but at least provide a schedule or sorts.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Mikey77 wrote:Tiplec, I agree, except have little confidence in Flosports, but at least provide a schedule or sorts.
Flo sports mediocre but right now they're flying by the seat of their pants and don't have all the info. re scheduling because it isn't done. I'm sure we will be privy to all this info. soon and when I hear from Mike Neely u can be sure I'll be asking about this.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Mikey77 wrote:So they are selling season tickets to games you can't attend and don't even have a schedule yet? When are they going to try and sell that bridge in Brooklyn? I know I'm being a little harsh under the circumstances, but really?
No one is forcing you to buy it. They are offering a package of benefits to try and replace the in game experience that they can’t have. Some will pay for it and some won’t.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Regarding the tickets sales, this is literally exactly what college football is doing, sans having a limited number fans in the seats due to it being outdoors.

This is exactly what HU should be doing, really happy to see them acting on it - I know it sounds silly at first, but the reason why this is being done is because these programs need to raise $$$ and replace all the dollars they are losing. This is a good cause, and it's the right thing to do - they are offering something unique to fans with the purpose of supporting the program - this is a MUST, and every one of us should strongly consider participating.

Football are using fan cutouts, lol - it's funny, but I think it's a great way to bring missing $ in - and they have to do something guys, so there really isn't much else. Sell experiences, inside access, etc. all part of a virtual ticket package - smart, and a win win in my book!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I spoke to Mike Neely yesterday and either he didn't know or wasn't divulging info. on the OOC schedule. I thought I would at least get some tidbits!
Cards

Post by Cards »

Just wondering what everyone is thinking on the recruiting front.

Right now, other than UD and HU, all other CAA teams have filled their 2021-2022 rosters or have only one spot open. HU has 4 spots open without a commit to date. The vast majority of the dozens of offers that had been shown on verbal commits are gone. The bigs are all gone, and the "better" PGs and SGs are gone. A few days ago we offered a HS senior and this was his first offer from anybody.

After this season we will have TC, JR, and ST that need to be replaced. We also have no understudy for the 5 spot. So there definitely are needs.

So I know that JM and staff have always ended up getting a few good recruits at what always seems to be late in the game. Just wondering if we are getting a little behind the curve this season. Could it be NY and covid, could it be JM on leave, something else?? After back to back CAA championships you would think recruiting would not be an issue.

Thoughts?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I clearly wasn't privy to what other CAA schools have done on the recruiting front but that's interesting. I don't feel any sense of urgency here and I'm not sure if you are implying that with Joe in limbo we haven't been able to land anyone?? Anything is possible and maybe probable but the fact remains that we're bringing in 5 new players on this team this year and four are freshman with Cramer being a redshirt freshman with a year of practicing with this team. Elmo has played college basketball for 2 years and has a resume already. IMO you're looking at the immediate future of our basketball team and everyone of these kids come with nice pedigrees from H.S. except for Vasic who we know little about. The immediate need will be at the 5 like you say Cards but the replacements for Ray,Coburn and Trueheart we probably already have here and they will get playing time. As had been mentioned here recently NCAA rules may change and we could have a whole multitude of transfers who are eligible right away. That remains to be seen. We will get the players don't worry about this and the nucleus of our team moving forward IMO is already here.
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:I clearly wasn't privy to what other CAA schools have done on the recruiting front but that's interesting. I don't feel any sense of urgency here and I'm not sure if you are implying that with Joe in limbo we haven't been able to land anyone?? Anything is possible and maybe probable but the fact remains that we're bringing in 5 new players on this team this year and four are freshman with Cramer being a redshirt freshman with a year of practicing with this team. Elmo has played college basketball for 2 years and has a resume already. IMO you're looking at the immediate future of our basketball team and everyone of these kids come with nice pedigrees from H.S. except for Vasic who we know little about. The immediate need will be at the 5 like you say Cards but the replacements for Ray,Coburn and Trueheart we probably already have here and they will get playing time. As had been mentioned here recently NCAA rules may change and we could have a whole multitude of transfers who are eligible right away. That remains to be seen. We will get the players don't worry about this and the nucleus of our team moving forward IMO is already here.
Nah, I wasn't really implying anything triplec. Just curiosity mostly, wondering if anyone had any tidbits or leads on recruits we are working hard to land. Regarding replacing this years seniors, I agree with you that we don't need nor expect to have true freshman replacing them right away.....more along the lines of keeping talent in the pipeline and letting them get used to D1 ball before we really need them in later years. I do like this years group of incoming guys. I think there is talent there that can really be developed. We shall see.

I don't see a level of urgency either. Especially since late recruiting has been our MO for years. And you make a good point about potential transfer rule changes.

Really disappointed about not seeing the guys in person this season. Still holding out hope that somehow there will be limited capacity after the new year (almost three months from now).
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yeah after speaking to Mike Neely they're holding out hope as well that we will able to see some live games. That would be awesome!
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

CAA MBB schedules are up. No out-of-conference schedule posted, and its unclear whether there will even be an out-of-conference schedule.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

delaware is already cancelling a OOC tournament they were scheduled to play in.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Mikey what site is the schedule up on nothing on the CAa site
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Hofstra athletic website.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Ok thanks
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

What is true for Hofstra and I'm assuming for the whole CAA is that for each travel partners you host one and go to one. Here are the travel partners other than us and Northeastern with the team we host listed first:

W&M and Elon
Drexel and Delaware
Towson and JMU
Charleston and UNCW

Our schedule is:
Saturday and Sunday January 2 and 3: Host W&M
Thursday January 7: Host Northeastern, no other CAA games
Saturday January 9: At Northeastern
Sunday January 10: CAA teams other than us and Northeastern play
Saturday and Sunday January 16 and 17: At Delaware
Saturday and Sunday January 23 and 24: Host Towson
Saturday and Sunday January 30 and 31: At UNCW
Saturday and Sunday February 6 and 7: Host Drexel
Saturday and Sunday February 13 and 14: At JMU
Saturday and Sunday February 20 and 21: Host Charleston
Saturday and Sunday February 27 and 28: At Elon
Polito

Post by Polito »

Gonna be a super interesting year in terms of how teams handle this special format - back to back games mostly, against the same team - lot of factors at play with that type of approach.

I'm just PUMPED to have a plan for hoops to return. Sounded like there will be some kind of OOC, but I would bet it's going to be extremely local and a small number of games if so... getting really excited for the season, I am amped to see our new guys hit the floor!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

If we don't use the bench much, can our starters play well two days in a row? How does playing two days in a row compare to having one day off in between with travel like what happens four times in normal seasons? We'll find out what it feels like to be an Ivy League fan because they play Fridays and Saturdays, with day games being very rare. I hope the CAA rarely has Saturday night games so teams don't have day games after night games. Last season there weren't many Saturday night games not at UNCW. I wonder if deeper teams will choose to play Saturday night and Sunday afternoon to take advantage of their opponents lack of depth.