Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: App St @MSG on Sunday

Post by HUSID80 »

They're still 15 point underdogs.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Here are Sagarin differences treating this as a neutral site game (add 3.43 to each number if you want to count it as a home game):

Overall: Hofstra by 14.40
Predictor: Hofstra by 14.42
Golden_Mean: Hofstra by 14.96
Recent: Hofstra by 14.28

The CAA is worse in the Sagarin than in the RPI.

http://www.cstv.com/gametracker/launch/ ... artschool=& will have statistics.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

It'll be interesting to see what kind of crowd is there, especially with the football game. I bet a lot of App State alumni will be there, since they rarely get to see their team in this area, and more of them will be willing to pay $50 for a ticket. Last I heard, Hofstra's free bus trip (including tickets) still had more spots, but that was about a week ago so it could've filled up by now. Hopefully Hofstra can at least outnumber the App State fans since this was supposed to be a home game.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

I was just on the St John's board and they were saying the turnout was pathetic. And that's for St John's! As previously stated, this was the worst possible day to schedule the Holiday Festival going up against Giants-Jets. Also, who wants to see St Francis and App St?? They needed to bring in 2 better schools. Or here's an even better idea.. Have St Johns play Hofstra!!!!!!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

According to one of the App State boards, their leading scorer Frank Eaves will not be starting the game, and they're not sure if he's even allowed to play the game at all. Seems like he committed a flagrant foul in their previous game.
http://www.scout.com/college/appalachia ... 9589?s=518
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Nevermind, he started the game. And he scored all 5 points so far.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Anyone know the record for missed layups in a game? Hofstra may break it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

How are we down at the half to a team we're 15 point favorites against? They're one of the worst rebounding teams in the country, yet they're out-rebounding us 16-25. They're also 6-14 from 3 because we're not defending them.
And yet again, we're letting the other team's leading scorer do whatever they want.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra leads 66-62 with 7:56 left. Bernardi leads Hofstra with 21 points, and only 9 of the points are from three-pointers. Eaves has 25 points.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Eaves now tied a career high with 31 points...
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

We win 86-80 but it was a struggle all game long. Bernardi with 23 and Gustys with 15 points and 12 boards. Still a win is a win.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra won 86-80. Eaves scored 38, making it consecutive games in which Hofstra has allowed a player to score at least 37 points. It also must be rare that Hofstra won three consecutive games while allowing at least 80 points in each game.

I see that the CAA has games on Thursdays and Saturdays rather than Wednesdays and Saturdays. The CAA played on Thursdays and Saturdays in 2005-2006.

Edit: Appalachian State shot three-pointers better than two-pointers. They rebounded almost half of their misses, with 18 offensive rebounds compared to 19 defensive rebounds for Hofstra. Appalachian State has 14 more rebounds. Hofstra had 6 fewer fouls and 9 fewer turnovers. Hofstra's 7 turnovers were their fewest since they had 6 turnovers on February 28, 2015 at James Madison which was the game before the CAA Tournament. Hofstra had their best assist/turnover ratio since a loss to La Salle on December 23, 2014. Hofstra had their best assist/turnover ratio in a win since December 7, 2014 at Appalachian State.

Edit again: http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400830882 is the Associated Press recap.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

ProudofPride wrote:How are we down at the half to a team we're 15 point favorites against? They're one of the worst rebounding teams in the country, yet they're out-rebounding us 16-25. They're also 6-14 from 3 because we're not defending them.
And yet again, we're letting the other team's leading scorer do whatever they want.
I said it in the last thread- this team can't rebound. Will be their downfall against bigger schools.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

For those who went, how was attendance? The WRHU announcers didn't really mention the crowd at all
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Very poor. Felt like a normal crowd at the Mack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Well that was a frustrating one. A win is a win but that gave me no confidence heading into matchups against Siena and Stony Brook, two dangerous teams. My thoughts (having not watched and following live stats while watching the Giants crush my heart for the 5th time this year):

THE GOOD: Bernardi was excellent again. He produced from all over the floor and it was clear that the scoring ran through him. He was cold early but got into it. Juan'ya also played well on the offensive side, not trying to take over or shoot too much, and took smart shots.

The MEH: Rokas put up a double-double but finishing was an issue again, foul shots were a nightmare. At least he can rebound. Malik was a bit of a spark off the bench, and I kind of wish we had played him more.

THE BAD: Koon was really quiet today. He had some steals but didn't put up a lot of shots and he wasn't much of an asset on the glass. Ameen was a low-percentage shooter and also wasn't all that strong on the boards. If Rokas is our only true rebounder we're in for a long season.

I didn't see how individuals did defensively so if anyone wants to clue us in as to that performance, I'd love to hear it. All in all, about as disheartening as a win can be.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

As an addendum: If App State can outrebound us then I don't think I'll like seeing Jameel Warney single-handedly beat us on the glass.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Warney had 15 rebounds yesterday vs. Princeton, more than twice what any other player in the game had. He also led all scorers with 26 points.

http://www.stonybrookathletics.com/spor ... 15-06.html
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

9 blocks?? God we're in trouble.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Here's a photo gallery from the game. http://gohofstra.com/galleries/?gallery=545

Also, several NBA teams have reached out to Hofstra about Juan'ya Green. I wouldn't be surprised if there were scouts there today.
https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/ ... 4979273728