St. Bonaventure Game Preview

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
daHUPride

Re: St. Bonaventure Game Preview

Post by daHUPride »

A good win - not a great win - thought we were the better team despite the spread - so I am glad we proved that we are the better team.

The Good - Green and Tanksley
The OK - Gustys, Nichlos, Koon (most of the game)
The Bad - Berardi, Koons (Ivy Leaguer with dumbest turnovers, 5 of them)

Fact - we have scored more points in the 2nd half then in the 1st half of every game (by almost 10 points per game/per half), wish we could start the way we finish - it would expand the playing time of guys getting no minutes now;
some of the mistakes we are making are because of dead legs - you see guys gassed - obviously it is not going to be Walker or JFW (and only 10 minutes per game for Buie), Djambo had better be back and playing or we will have our work cut out for us the rest of the way.

Nice W, boys.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Can anyone tell me what they are planning to do next year when they can't call the "give it to juan'ye green and everyone else watch" play every time down the stretch of a close game? Can they run a play at some point please

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
TheBonaBlog

Post by TheBonaBlog »

Just want to say thank you to the people who reached out to offer help on our story.

Here is our post game story from Olean.

http://thebonablog.com/2015/11/28/postg ... enture-83/
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

HUSID80 wrote:Don't forget, once we get Djambo our rotation goes to eight... plenty IMO
Do you know if he is back on campus or when he will be? I'm not counting on him until I actually see him in uniform on the court.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

This was a really nice win, I think the stress of the last few minutes has clouded how good a performance we put up in the second half.

I just re-watched the first half, and not to be cliche', but the ball really didn't bounce our way early, it was almost uncanny. Then the four-point play, another foul on a three pointer as well. We didn't play particularly poorly, I think St. Bonnies just took advantage of some things breaking their way like good teams tend to do.

The second half was excellence. We were able to pull away in the middle of the half with St. Bonaventure playing somewhat well offensively. Juan'ya just makes everyone so much better, I think he's the most gifted offensive player we've had since Speedy. I mean he's single-handedly propping up Rokas' and Bernardi's offensive games, and he's also just racking up the points. Green has carried us against all of these physically superior teams.

For as athletically limited as this team is, we have strong basketball IQ and pass incredibly well. Everyone in that seven man rotation moves the ball to the open man, when the offense is working, it's magical.

We're always going to be gimmicky and inconsistent defensively. We do not have the athletes to play good man to man defense, it's just a fact. So we play that 1-3-1 to try to trap at the top of the zone to generate turnovers, and force the opposition to take quick shots and long three's. We should be good enough to blow away some of the poorer teams in the CAA with our offensive ability, but it's becoming more and more evident that we will be in a lot of shootouts this year.

The end of the game was pretty bad again, the difference being we hit ALL of our free throws. 28-33 on the night was incredible, Juan'ya and Ameen were a combined 20-21, they saved our bacon tonight. Frustrating that Koon and Bernardi played poorly again in the last minutes, I don't see it becoming a trend, but we really need those guys to play strongly in the final five minutes to just close out teams, because they're both good shooters from the perimeter and the line.

Overall, a great win on the road against a physically superior St. Bonaventure team, who played well tonight. I really thought Bonaventure played well enough to win, and we just decided to take it to the next level in the second half, just have to keep learning how to close out games properly.
Cards wrote:Game cons - inconsistent play - inbounds plays - 7 man rotation (not enough) - still worried about Tanksley (his box score numbers look fine, but he just does not look the same) - Bernardi (without a feed for an open shot, he is not effective on offense)
Just wanted to comment on Tanksley. Honestly I think Ameen is playing better this year than last season. He's really improved his shot selection the last few games, which I thought was his main weakness last year. Tanksley was awesome tonight, I don't see how you can expect him to play better. Maybe it's just that the level of competition is better and Tanksley's size does not stand out against those teams.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

No disrespect to SBU, but we didn't play VCU yesterday. Beat the other SBU on our schedule and we'll have something to talk about.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Wow Jojo giving the Brook some respect. I want us to also beat LaSalle. Its time for some payback.
pridehoops2015

Post by pridehoops2015 »

Some of you act like we are kentucky all of a sudden. we went on the road and beat an a-10 team in a tough enviroment. i am estatic. that was a really big win in my book. did they drive or fly? cause thats a tough drive and to get it done with a 2nd half comeback is really good.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

We still have many things to work on:

1-Handling the full court press on inbounds pass -we almost blew the pooch with this problem

2- Teams are learning how to contain Bernardi-have one of their best defensive players cover him like glue. Also Bernardi has to be more consistant with shots he is able to get off.

3-We must start off games stronger and hopefully use more of our limited bench.

4- agree with JOJO that one of our early true test will be against SBU, They are looking very strong now and would be surprised if we can pull this one off.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

bobe13 wrote:We still have many things to work on:

1-Handling the full court press on inbounds pass -we almost blew the pooch with this problem

2- Teams are learning how to contain Bernardi-have one of their best defensive players cover him like glue. Also Bernardi has to be more consistant with shots he is able to get off.

3-We must start off games stronger and hopefully use more of our limited bench.

4- agree with JOJO that one of our early true test will be against SBU, They are looking very strong now and would be surprised if we can pull this one off.
Yes the LI SBU was very impressive in beating down Div III Farmingdale yesterday. Thus far they have powered through two Div III teams
pridehoops2015

Post by pridehoops2015 »

Don't forget LI sbu also choking away wins over vandy and western Kentucky.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

pridehoops2015 wrote:Don't forget LI sbu also choking away wins over vandy and western Kentucky.
Yes that too!
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

cactus wrote:Can anyone tell me what they are planning to do next year when they can't call the "give it to juan'ye green and everyone else watch" play every time down the stretch of a close game? Can they run a play at some point please

Yes, it is called a loosing season LOL
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

bobe13 wrote:
cactus wrote:Can anyone tell me what they are planning to do next year when they can't call the "give it to juan'ye green and everyone else watch" play every time down the stretch of a close game? Can they run a play at some point please

Yes, it is called a loosing season LOL
We also have to have some faith in the three players we have sitting out this season.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cteHQNBj0SE has highlights, but like other schools have done they only show St. Bonaventure scoring.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

stuball888 wrote:Wow Jojo giving the Brook some respect. I want us to also beat LaSalle. Its time for some payback.
As much as I hate to admit it, SBU is tough at home. Plus I don't know that we have anyone who can contain Jameel Warney, who's getting looks from the NBA. Gustys and Nichols might both foul out trying to guard him. Coach might even have to put in Walker.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We'll need the 10 fouls that adding Walker will give us...
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

What's wrong with having the ball in your best player's hands? He'll either get his shot, hit the open man, or a draw a foul. Let's start worrying about next year in April.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

pridehoops2015 wrote:Some of you act like we are kentucky all of a sudden. we went on the road and beat an a-10 team in a tough enviroment. i am estatic. that was a really big win in my book. did they drive or fly? cause thats a tough drive and to get it done with a 2nd half comeback is really good.
It's a very good win. But their inability to protect large leads late in games is very concerning and should not be overlooked.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Dooku25 wrote:

What's wrong with having the ball in your best player's hands? He'll either get his shot, hit the open man, or a draw a foul. Let's start worrying about next year in April.
Have they gotten a single good look off this yet? Go back and look at these possessions, they rarely end up in points