Men's Basketball Schedule 2021-2022

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: Men's Basketball Schedule 2021-2022

Post by Polito »

NU is so annoying.

I think Drexel will be good - I juts don’t see it for UD, but hey I could be wrong.

HU is completely unknown, outside of Ray, from the top down - sure hope this staff knows what it’s doing and that these million transfers can play together as a team

Not interesting in bottom dwelling for any length of time - HU went with Speedy, so I expect fast results - otherwise would’ve been better to go with a proven stud and start from true scratch

I have no clue what to expect - halfway excited and halfway concerned

But I guess I would be surprised if both CofC and HU ended up that low - if HU does I am going to become extremely concerned about the future. And don’t get yourselves fooled into believing it still takes years to build a program - it doesn’t - it takes A year - that’s what the transfer market has done - so yep, I expect HU to have a good year - I don’t expect a crown, but I do expect them to win more than not in this basic league

Staff has def grown on me, but it’s going to be time to put up in a couple of short months - show out in a strong year 1, and I’ll be all in 8-)
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Agree completely with Polito. Ray alone is reason to be optimistic -- 1st team CAA, shouldered a big jump in usage last year with no efficiency drop. Cramer is a beast and could easily be a top-10 impact player in this league. Cooks, Iyiola and Estrada are proven high-level performers at the mid-major level. With this challenging OOC schedule, I hope we'd enter conference play battle-tested.

If I had a concern, it would be frontcourt depth and consistent shooting. There are questions, to be sure, but way more reasons to be optimistic than not. No excuses if the team really does finish in 8th, and I think Speedy would tell you that result is unacceptable.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jalen Ray is not only first team CAA but probably the pre-season POTY. Also don't forget Caleb I know all the talk will be Cooks but Caleb led the conference in assists @5.6 a game. Don't sleep on Vasquez either who had a strong freshman season at St Bonaventure scoring 20 points against Rutgers and averaging over 6 pts. a game only playing 16 minutes. Vasquez probably becomes the new x-factor this year. If the coaches can get these kids to play as a unit then we should be in the hunt to win this conference. There's a lot of talent here.
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:Jalen Ray is not only first team CAA but probably the pre-season POTY. Also don't forget Caleb I know all the talk will be Cooks but Caleb led the conference in assists @5.6 a game. Don't sleep on Vasquez either who had a strong freshman season at St Bonaventure scoring 20 points against Rutgers and averaging over 6 pts. a game only playing 16 minutes. Vasquez probably becomes the new x-factor this year. If the coaches can get these kids to play as a unit then we should be in the hunt to win this conference. There's a lot of talent here.
I agree Triplec - we have lots of talent and lots of guards. There are almost unlimited combinations of guys who could be on the floor together.

Regarding Cooks and Caleb, recall that Cooks, even though he's listed as a PG, has been brought on because he can score. I certainly could see some minutes in a game where Caleb is at the point and his primary options are to dish to Ray and Cooks. That leaves Caleb as the third guard scoring option - which is not too shabby after watching his offensive improvement last year.

Just too many guard options with Dubar, Vasquez, Carlos, and others to even imagine the combinations.

As Speedy said in that short video (paraphrasing) "we will win games with our D, we know we will score, its the D that will win games for us". If that philosophy truly holds all year, I think we'll see a lot of players getting minutes with the focus on intensity. That would be a good thing!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Agree with everything you're saying here Cards and who knows depending on the matchup maybe we'll run 4 guards out there with a big in the post. A super quick team that will play in your face D. It looks like this is the plan and like you said with all the bodies that can play everyone should be able to stay fresh and give 100%. The only way this team is not in the mix to win this year is if they don't play as a team and that's up to the coaches to fix.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

According to D1 Docket, and on the Maryland website, HU at Maryland, Friday November, 19th. Also, on the Go Hofstra website, the entire CAA Schedule is now posted. Some different choice of days and times listed, such as home Saturday afternoons are listed as a 2:00pm tipoff instead of 4:00. The front part of the CAA Schedule has dates on Mondays, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. Holidays New Year's Eve and MLK Day are listed. Does not seem to be what we have been used to from years past.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://caasports.com/news/2021/7/22/me ... edule.aspx says:

"The conference slate will feature eight game dates from December 29-January 17. The stretch wraps up with all 10 teams competing for the first time on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, providing each institution with the opportunity to promote its initiatives that focus on eliminating racial and social injustice."

There are ten weeks of CAA games, and the last six are Thursday-Saturday. We don't have much travel the last three weeks with at Drexel, at Delaware, off Thursday, host Northeastern, host Elon, and hosting William & Mary.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... hedule.pdf is a schedule PDF.

I'm fine. My lack of posts had nothing to do with moving. I rarely post in topics about recruiting or coaching changes, and I rarely post during the offseason. I've never stopped posting on a sports message board unless it stopped existing.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Already have the Maryland game in my calendar, awesome that it’s a Friday night, looking forward to seeing that one!

Wow, I love it when college sports is used as a political lever ... NOT.

As far as the team, HU has a lot of unknown and unproven - really no clue what we have outside of Ray and Burgess. I would give Cooks the benefit of the doubt as a star Sr who has stats and history under his belt. Cramer, eh, he’s still largely tbd for me - had an ok first yr, showed flashes of stardom, but I really want to see a lot more from him - this kid should be dominating this conf. I want to see him and this staff do much bigger things yr 2.

Other than that, no one has any clue if these transfers can play at a high level in the CAA, and as an actual team. I’m going to reserve a lot until I see them show themselves on the court - and until I see this staff show they will be effective.

Lot of question marks right now...
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Word is that the the Penn transfer Jarrod Simmons has been real good and if the season started right now he would start up front...also hear that the Iowa St transfer and the NJIT guard are the real deals...can't wait to see for myself!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID80 wrote:Word is that the the Penn transfer Jarrod Simmons has been real good and if the season started right now he would start up front...also hear that the Iowa St transfer and the NJIT guard are the real deals...can't wait to see for myself!
At last some info. on this team which seems to be a highly classified secret. I wonder why Simmons wasn't playing more at Penn he has a nice resume on the high school level. This is good news cause the post looked like our weakest position. Really don't feel that Simmons will start over Iyiola but never know. We all know about Cooks and he has a established pedigree but Dubar that's also good news. Lots of proven talent here but can they be a cohesive unit that's the question??
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

The Ivy League did not play last year so it was a long dry spell for Simmons...and as I said, Simmons gets the nod right now over Iyiola although he can play as well.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Looking at past stats for these two kids Iyiola was starting at Stetson and getting 22 minutes(2018-19) Simmons played in 30 games in 2019-20 and started 4 but averaged only 6 plus minutes a game so regardless of who starts here there should be plenty of minutes to keep both of them happy. Maybe more important who finishes rather then who starts? Again if we can replace Kante effectively we're in a very good place because we have a plethora of good guards and some good forwards as well.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

According to the D1 Docket and the Bucknell website, Bucknell at HU on Saturday, December 4th.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I like this game, like Bucknell as an opponent - I like a lot of the Pat league actually as good regional mid major opponents for HU.

Eager to see the final schedule, a few slots left they are working to fill... this has the potential to be one of the best / most fan engaging schedules we've had in a very very long time.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

According to the D1 Docket and the Iona website, HU at Iona, Tuesday, November 16th.
Last edited by The Shadow on Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

According to the D1 Docket and the Richmond website, HU at Richmond, Monday, November, 22nd. So far, HU has five games on the road to open the 2021-22 season:
Houston, Duquesne, Iona, Maryland, and Richmond.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I thought Stu posted that Richmond was coming here?????
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I will find out by next week those other 3 games should be finalized by then
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

triplec2195 wrote:I thought Stu posted that Richmond was coming here?????
So nobody wants to respond to this but I wonder after beating Richmond playing on their court last year why they're not going to play us at the Mack? It's disrespectful but does it more have to do with paying out guaranteed money?? The only team I see us playing at home as of RIGHT NOW IS BUCKNELL with 3 more games yet TBA/TBD. I understand why we're on the road to Iona but why can't we get teams(big conference) to play here??
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

New coaching staff They are paying their dues