2021 Men's Lacrosse

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Re: 2021 Men's Lacrosse

Post by EvanJ »

Newsday says stadiums with a capacity over 10,000, which includes Shuart, can have fans at 10 percent of capacity. That doesn't mean we will have fans. It just means that it's legal to do so.

Edit: https://gohofstra.com/news/2021/2/10/ge ... dance.aspx says there won't be fans. It says all home games will be streamed for free.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

All three graduate transfers are starting vs. St. John's:

https://gohofstra.com/documents/2021/2/ ... game01.pdf

I expect to see a lot of scoring from this lineup. If we were sub Sam Lutfi in for Alex Concannon, we would have an all-Massapequa attack.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

EvanJ wrote:Newsday says stadiums with a capacity over 10,000, which includes Shuart, can have fans at 10 percent of capacity. That doesn't mean we will have fans. It just means that it's legal to do so.

Edit: https://gohofstra.com/news/2021/2/10/ge ... dance.aspx says there won't be fans. It says all home games will be streamed for free.
Hopefully there will be a way for Hofstra to have some fans later in season at Shuart.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

EvanJ wrote:Newsday says stadiums with a capacity over 10,000, which includes Shuart, can have fans at 10 percent of capacity. That doesn't mean we will have fans. It just means that it's legal to do so.

My assumption would be the assigned seating that NYS requires would be a problem since the majority of the stadium is just bleacher seats. Would probably need to have a security guard per section or more to be able to enforce that.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

HofstraMathew wrote:

My assumption would be the assigned seating that NYS requires would be a problem since the majority of the stadium is just bleacher seats. Would probably need to have a security guard per section or more to be able to enforce that.
Great point. I hope if nothing else parents of players can attend games, especially senior day and the CAA playoffs.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Not impressed so far. Ten turnovers? Even less impressed with the cameraman who doesn't even know what side of the field the ball is on.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

So far one of the worst performances by a Hofstra men's lax team in a long while. Anybody watching this? Shall we start the dump Tierney thread already?
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

It would be great if Lax could have their own section of the boards. Its a shame that this team is a part of our university and gets money. Maybe we should give him an extension??
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

We give up 19 goals to a St. John's team that we clobbered last game. A disgrace. The defense was horrible, especially the long poles. Syracuse will put up 50 on us. What happened to Casey? Why didn't McIntosh play? The decline of Hofstra lax under Tierney continues.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

While I know I might be the last person still watching and following Hofstra lacrosse before they turn off the lights, but can someone explain to me why the team that beat SJU last year 19 - 9 was not on the field today? I know we lost one or two players, but where was Casey, McIntosh, Ardrey by way of example?
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Mikey77 wrote:While I know I might be the last person still watching and following Hofstra lacrosse before they turn off the lights, but can someone explain to me why the team that beat SJU last year 19 - 9 was not on the field today? I know we lost one or two players, but where was Casey, McIntosh, Ardrey by way of example?
Waste of time watching this team play. Always losing. Always blowing leads. Always not living up to potential. Excuses after excuses. Enough is enough
Polito

Post by Polito »

Welcome to my train! Been barreling this down the tracks for years. Faced some lingering doubt awhile back, some fought me on it, but I sure hope it's pretty clear now. And this isn't to bash ST, been there and done that lol (not saying I was right to). He's prob still a good coach, he just isn't the right coach for HU.

ST knows more about lax than I ever will, but see I follow the data, and the data says he's not winning here. Period. This isn't debatable. He has achieved literally nothing here. This program has fully collapsed under his lead, so for whatever reason, and I sure as heck can't explain it, but for whatever reason he has failed here despite his experience and expertise.

It happens. But it's time for change. Has been for some time IMO, but this has to be the last year. This can't continue. Failings happen, but to sit on them for a decade is just straight up negligence. Time to get loud with AD Cole folks, publicly. This program can be great again with the right staff. And this staff ain't it. 'Cuse hanging dozens on this program may actually help force the hand... I don't ever wish for HU to lose, but not denying the benefit of public embarrassment to force this admin to actually do something. If HU doesn't make a change and get this corrected, they are either lazy, careless, sleeping, stupid, or blind. No disrespect to true blindness. But this is like stepping in manure and pretending it's brownies. Put on the big boy britches, make a move, and save HU lax.

Said it before and will keep saying it: JOE AMPLO. ALL DAY LONG. Should've already happened, but make it happen next. Makes so much sense it's insane this wasn't done already. Guy put together a killer staff at Navy, because their admin is taking the sport serious. Will you do the same Hofstra? Rick Cole? Wake up please. One of your historical flagship sports has fallen off a cliff. Fix it. Here's a good example of how, and what SHOULD be happening at HU:

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Extremely frustrating given how explosive our offense was and dominating on faceoffs. I expected rust with first game but 29 turnovers is hard to stomach and many of them were unforced errors. Plenty of time to right ship, but plenty of concerns early.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Even with a freshman in goal our D and middies didnt get the job done protecting our young goalie St johns took a whopping 53 shots
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Not to beat a dead horse - and trust me it is dead - Hofstra not in the top 35 in the Inside Lacrosse Media poll. The demise of this once storied program and I'm serious is a disgrace. What's worse maybe is that the athletic department is virtually unconscious to it.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Amen. Preach it. The total blind eye / zero care / excuse making / inaction from the admin is the worst part of it. It's embarrassing. I can't even imagine how former players must look at this. Total destruction of what they built - it's like watching your family legacy go up in flames, and the fire department just chilling watching with a bag of popcorn.

Please help make the concerns known to the AD (respectfully).
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Congrats to Ryan Tierney being named US Lacrosse player of the week. Somehow it does not sooth the disappointment of another one goal loss. I did the math a number of years ago and will update my findings but the number of one goal losses under Tierney is amazing. That's in part what's so frustrating, Hofstra can run with anybody but it usually ends in a one goal loss.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

We play Sacred Heart today at 1pm. Sacred Heart was blownout by Stony Brook 20-8. Lets see how the team rebounds from their one goal loss to St Johns
fiftiespride

Post by fiftiespride »

Nice to see the men and women come away with wins today; 13-6+17-11 respectively. I know it is just perception and things randomize out over time but there are stretches of time where I think I am a jinx. When I am away our team flourishes and when I return they seem to flounder but I experienced the reverse big time today. I tuned in to the mens game when we were down 6-4 with about 8 mn. to go in the 3rd period; I almost wrote the season off. Dominant play at center control and great game from Concannon.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I hope the men play stony Brook like they played sacred heart in the 4th quarter. Otherwise it could be a long afternoon. The womens win was impressive. UConn went 5-2 last season and lost to JMU 11-8. This could be the year our womens team crack the top 20.