Looking Ahead to 2020-2021 season

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: Looking Ahead to 2020-2021 season

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote: there was a good chance we would get a bit of a recruiting boost from the NCAAT appearance, now I don't know. May help us locally though, as NYC players may be scrambling to grab a scholarship with a shortened late recruiting window.
Even though HU didn't benefit from the exposure of playing in the NCAAT, the sell is still the same. Recruits know how incredibly rare this was and any of them being targeted can still be sold to the same way: We played in the CAA finals the past two years and if not for the virus, would've played in the NCAAT this year, and that's the type of program we have. So, if you want that, and you want to play in the NCAAT, choose Hofstra. I don't think that sell to recruits changes because HU missed out on playing in the NCAAT this year. When it comes to local area recruits, I'm more concerned with having to now compete with the lure of Pitino at Iona. Hoping that despite that, HU can still lure guys like Jenkins, JWF, Buie, Pemberton, etc. and that Pitino doesn't snap them up.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:FD, right now we have three kids committed for next year. We have no grants left unless someone leaves the team. Keep your eyes on the transfer portal. There are already three Drexel and two Northeastern players on it without me checking this morning.
Now 3 from NE. Thomas Murphy is graduating this spring and will transfer as a grad student with two years of eligibility. Assuming he is healthy, he would be a great pickup (assuming we have a spot).
We have already been down this road before and remember its a dead end. Nobody has transferred in recent memory within the conference teams and its just not going to happen its frowned upon and the unwritten rule.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

HUSID74 wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote:It would be ridiculous for Buie and Pemberton to come back, beyond them being Hofstra grads, and seniors that played a full season, it trivializes their accomplishments his year. I couldn't be more against it. We qualified for the NCAAT this year, put the banner up, and move on. It's not optimal, but it's reality.

It looks like it's going to take months for the COVID to run it's course in the US, so I wonder if that slows our recruiting momentum. If we were going to have 1-2 extra scholarships open up after the year, there was a good chance we would get a bit of a recruiting boost from the NCAAT appearance, now I don't know. May help us locally though, as NYC players may be scrambling to grab a scholarship with a shortened late recruiting window.
FD, right now we have three kids committed for next year. We have no grants left unless someone leaves the team. Keep your eyes on the transfer portal. There are already three Drexel and two Northeastern players on it without me checking this morning.
How do you search the transfer portal? Is there a website I am just missing?
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HofstraMathew wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote:It would be ridiculous for Buie and Pemberton to come back, beyond them being Hofstra grads, and seniors that played a full season, it trivializes their accomplishments his year. I couldn't be more against it. We qualified for the NCAAT this year, put the banner up, and move on. It's not optimal, but it's reality.

It looks like it's going to take months for the COVID to run it's course in the US, so I wonder if that slows our recruiting momentum. If we were going to have 1-2 extra scholarships open up after the year, there was a good chance we would get a bit of a recruiting boost from the NCAAT appearance, now I don't know. May help us locally though, as NYC players may be scrambling to grab a scholarship with a shortened late recruiting window.
FD, right now we have three kids committed for next year. We have no grants left unless someone leaves the team. Keep your eyes on the transfer portal. There are already three Drexel and two Northeastern players on it without me checking this morning.
https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Baske ... ferPortal/

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

There is also a transfer list on Verbal Commits.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

The Shadow wrote:There is also a transfer list on Verbal Commits.
This is the resource I use I personally like going on V/C to see who schools are recruiting and where kids are going etc.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

cactus wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:
https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Baske ... ferPortal/

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Thanks. I was looking on the actual NCAA website.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Verbal Commits is my choice, updated transfer list, recruits and classes by conference, etc.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

If coronavirus persists, there may be no collegiate or professional sports in 2020-21. :(
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:

If coronavirus persists, there may be no collegiate or professional sports in 2020-21. :(
If it persists that long, we'll have such big problems in other areas that those of us who care a lot about college and pro sports won't care so much that they're missing.

Never know, but that (thankfully) seems very unlikely at this point, based on how long it took for the curve to flatten in China and the measures we're now taking in the U.S. (including the cancellation or postponement of nearly everything, including college and pro sports). Hopefully, this will start winding down significantly in the next 2-4 months.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

Jojogunne wrote:
Flying Dutchmen wrote:

What will probably happen is we’ll get the full season in and the plague will hit the day after we win the title again. It’s just too early to tell, if it’s not under control by November I’d think they could push the season back from like January-May maybe? Or reduce the number of OOC games and do Feb-May or March-June? But I definitely feel for the underclassman this year who may have to go through this headache again next season.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HUSID74 wrote: Keep your eyes on the transfer portal. There are already three Drexel and two Northeastern players on it without me checking this morning.
cactus linked to https://247sports.com/college/drexel/Se ... ferPortal/ and the only Drexel player is Kurk Lee, who left during the season. For Northeastern they have Murphy and Boursiquot leaving. Boursiquot had an injury redshirt season, so I would think he has one season left and can be a graduate transfer without sitting out. They have Chris Doherty transferring from Notre Dame to Northeastern. In two seasons, he scored 15 points in 56 minutes. That doesn't mean he won't help Northeastern. Upshaw scored 100 points in three seasons before scoring 655 for us. What could have made Doherty transfer is that he's from Marlborough, MA. For Towson, I'm surprised they didn't list Tobias Howard. He averaged 10.2 points in his only season for them in 2018-2019, and transferred close enough to the start of the season that a preview Towson wrote on October 8 included him. He used 2019-2020 as a transfer redshirt season, so he can play in 2020-2021. I don't know if and where he physically went to class, but he didn't play.

The ten players in Most Recent Updates on the right include an important CAA player who isn't listed in the page for his team. Darius Banks, who scored 1,072 in three seasons, is leaving JMU. A team we often face out of conference, Manhattan, has Christian Hinckson transferring. 2019-2020 was his sophomore season. He averaged 7.2 points, 5.5 rebounds, and 2.4 assists. That sounds like a starter or top sub, but he did have a very bad statistic. 72 percent of his field goal attempts were twos, which he shot a horrible .352. He shot threes .455! Shooting threes over .100 better than you shoot twos is very hard. He didn't attempt many threes, so he made 0.8 per game.
triplec2195 wrote: We have already been down this road before and remember its a dead end. Nobody has transferred in recent memory within the conference teams and its just not going to happen its frowned upon and the unwritten rule.
My mom saw Hunter McIntosh play and wants us to get him. What many conferences including the CAA do to prevent transfers within the conference is make players sit out two years to do that, so nobody will.
HofstraMathew wrote: Thanks. I was looking on the actual NCAA website.
I searched and found out that the NCAA doesn't make the transfer portal publicly available.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

USF PF BJ Mack II - transferring. He was recruited by us - remember coach JAM saying something like - " we stay in contact with our former recruits; knowing they may not always fit the original school they chose"
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Verbal Commits has 'em all. Up to 437 transfers. NE's Murphy went to Vermont.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

daHUPride wrote: USF PF BJ Mack II - transferring. He was recruited by us - remember coach JAM saying something like - " we stay in contact with our former recruits; knowing they may not always fit the original school they chose"
He averaged 2.1 points in 7.6 minutes and played in 19 games. I'm not saying he can't help us, but USF went 14-18 (7-11 in the AAC) and were 125th in the NET. It's not like he hardly played because his team was great. Before USF, he went to Oak Hill Academy. Gustys played for Oak Hill Academy. Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, Rajon Rondo, Jerry Stackhouse, and Rod Strickland are NBA players from Oak Hill Academy, along with UNC's Cole Anthony. Mack II is a forward. Unlike Kante, Schutte, and Hughes, Mack II shoots threes, albeit he made 3 of 14. If he takes a redshirt transfer season in 2020-2021 and plays for us starting in 2021-2022, he could replace Trueheart, while having him and Kante or Schutte on the court at the same time.
HUSID74 wrote: Verbal Commits has 'em all. Up to 437 transfers. NE's Murphy went to Vermont.
Here are other transfers leaving the CAA from Verbal Commits:

Charleston: Quan McCluney (1.3 PPG in 20 games)

Elon: Andy Pack (1.8 PPG) and Duje Radja (3 points in 17 minutes all season)

JMU: Darius Banks (12.2 PPG, 4.9 RPG) who I already mentioned and Dwight Wilson (9.8 PPG, 9.3 RPG). With Banks and Wilson gone and Lewis staying (at least for now), it's becoming like W&M a year ago when Knight stayed and Pierce and Milon transferred. All of the players I named have or had one season left when I'm talking about them.

JMU and Northeastern had good players leave. One of you said three players are leaving Drexel, but I don't know who, and starters Zach Walton and Sam Green are petitioning for another year of eligibility. Delaware could be the favorite next season. Ray, Coburn, and Kante could be the best group of three returning players on a team other than Delaware.
Last edited by EvanJ on Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

EvanJ wrote:
daHUPride wrote: USF PF BJ Mack II - transferring. He was recruited by us - remember coach JAM saying something like - " we stay in contact with our former recruits; knowing they may not always fit the original school they chose"
He averaged 2.1 points in 7.6 minutes and played in 19 games. I'm not saying he can't help us, but USF went 14-18 (7-11 in the AAC) and were 125th in the NET. It's not like he hardly played because his team was great. Before USF, he went to Oak Hill Academy. Gustys played for Oak Hill Academy. Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, Rajon Rondo, Jerry Stackhouse, and Rod Strickland are NBA players from Oak Hill Academy, along with UNC's Cole Anthony. Mack II is a forward. Unlike Kante, Schutte, and Hughes, Mack II shoots threes, albeit he made 3 of 14. If he takes a redshirt transfer season in 2020-2021 and plays for us starting in 2021-2022, he could replace Trueheart, while having him and Kante or Schutte on the court at the same time.
HUSID74 wrote: Verbal Commits has 'em all. Up to 437 transfers. NE's Murphy went to Vermont.
Here are other transfers leaving the CAA from Verbal Commits:

Charleston: Quan McCluney (1.3 PPG in 20 games)

Elon: Andy Pack (1.8 PPG) and Duje Radja (3 points in 17 minutes all season)

JMU: Darius Banks (12.2 PPG, 4.9 RPG) who I already mentioned and Dwight Wilson (9.8 PPG, 9.3 RPG). With Banks and Wilson gone and Lewis staying (at least for now), it's becoming like W&M a year ago when Knight stayed and Pierce and Milon transferred. All of the players I named have or had one season left when I'm talking about them.

JMU and Northeastern had good players leave. One of you said three players are leaving Drexel, but I don't know who, and starters Zach Walton and Sam Green are petitioning for another year of eligibility. Delaware could be the favorite next season. Ray, Coburn, and Kante could be the best group of three returning players on a team other than Delaware.
Delaware will be the favorite next year not could be especially if they return all their starters. They have a very solid team and we will be a respectable team as well trying to work in players to replace Buie and Pemberton. I think that with the freshman coming in and a hungry and anxious Cramer we will be in a good place. We don't really need these transfers that weren't doing much for their current teams unless we believe they will provide upside for us but without any known scholarships to give a moot issue at the present time.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

While most people would agree that PG is our biggest need moving forward I saw Miles Latimer PG at Stony Brook transferring. A 6'3" guard who averaged over 7 points a game playing 26+ minutes this past year and over 10 points as a freshman. His minutes were reduced maybe he was hurt don't know. While he probably has to sit out he might be someone to go after. He would come in a as a junior. IDK if Hofstra would be willing to have someone sit on the bench a year when they need immediate help?
Wags

Post by Wags »

Asst. Coach Curtin working on the OOC scheduling for next year:

https://twitter.com/ColinCurtin/status/ ... 9215524865
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:Asst. Coach Curtin working on the OOC scheduling for next year:

I can't open this Wags can you provide any info. re the OOC for this year?
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:
Wags wrote:Asst. Coach Curtin working on the OOC scheduling for next year:

I can't open this Wags can you provide any info. re the OOC for this year?
Looks like he deleted that tweet - it was just him reaching out, saying we had dates open for OOC games, looking for home & homes each way.