2015 Pride Mens Lacrosse

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraPride1

Re: 2015 Pride Mens Lacrosse

Post by HofstraPride1 »

http://www.laxlessons.com/2014/08/05/do ... um=twitter

Looks like we solid recruit from Ward Melville Seth has picked up for the 2018 season.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Two home scrimmages this weekend: vs. Keio University, Friday, Oct. 3, 7 p.m., and vs. alumni, Sunday, Oct. 5, 12:30 p.m.:

http://www.gohofstra.com/ViewArticle.db ... M_ID=22200
Polito

Post by Polito »

God bless you guys on you're excitement for HU lax - just can't get into it - so sick of being roped into ST's yearly choke jobs

Was very happy to see them FINALLY put together a strong season last yr (WAY overdue), only to see once again completely blow the opportunity to so something when it counts - I really hate feeling this way, love HU, but totally called it, to wait and see what they did when it really matters at the end of the yr...low and behold TANKED - I've absolutely had it with lax and ST - nothing but letdowns a every yr - and it's SQUARELY on ST

Interesting to see you guys talking up recruiting because I don't see anything except years of unmet expectations being reflected in the talent attracted - just went through all of IL's recruit rankings and only the GK Jack C was in the top 100 or 150, whatever it was - saw a number of other CAA programs with several ranked players, TONS of local talent going all over (and not just to the ACC, to what I would consider lesser lax programs)

Understand the draw of Duke, 'Cuse, and the like, but HU is losing out on ALL kinds of talent to every school that even offers the sport - who can blame them with the crap experienced every stinking yr

and don't give me the excuses - recruiting takes work - that's one of the MAJOR parts of the job - get it done

Alas, rant done, for now - but I'll say it again and until I see ST actually come through and honor the legacy of the HU lax program, wake me when it really counts: end of season, conf playoffs, and NCAAs
Polito

Post by Polito »

...crickets...

no one has come to defend them after my post??? I'm no guru, so figured there might be some LAX dudes out there to help comfort me...

Hm, guess I nailed it (unfortunately). I think all agree: the choking has to stop. It's time to come through and meet expectations - or at the very least the traditional standard of HU Lax.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I share your frustration Polito as I'm sure all Hofstra fans do in the the program's lack of success in recent years. Despite how last year ended I was encouraged by some steps they took in he regular season and I hope that carries over into 2015.
Polito

Post by Polito »

thanks HP1 for replying

I do agree there, last yr was a step in the right direction, I'm not taking that away from them - I think it's just that it was WAAAAAAAAY overdue, so the excitement of it for me was more like "its about damn time", then "whoohoo this is so awesome"

and needless to say, the positive was soundly squashed in typical fashion under ST, with a complete choke job, no conf champ, and no tourney - though I was very happy to see them at least put together a strong regular season, it was tough to truly appreciate when the end result was simply more of the same

I'd sure like to see some FIRE coming out of that program this yr - look, I know it's tough to compete against Duke, 'Cuse, Hopkins, etc., I get it - I'm not demanding yearly national titles - but c'mon, no more excuses pls, no more accepting the crashing and burning - HU Lax is a traditional STRONG RANKED program in an absolute hot bed for the sport - excuses aren't accepted in any other major sport at HU, and shouldn't be at Lax either

had to put up with that crap in bball for way too long - now all of a sudden with a competent passionate HARD WORKING staff we see that good games CAN be scheduled, with a purpose, and talented POST players CAN be landed

Expectations for ST and staff should be exactly the same - they've had long enough to establish 'their' system and players, whatever that may be - STEP IT UP AND GET THE JOB DONE.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I completely agree Polito that expectations should always be high for our men's lacrosse program. It is the one sport we have that should constantly be ranked toward the top.
Polito

Post by Polito »

and that requires 2 key things:

Recruiting and Coaching - quite obvious I know, but 2 things HU has been lacking on IMO under the current staff - to me HU admin should already be very on top of ensuring the ship gets 'righted', but I would say if they don't make the tourney again this yr some changes need to become a reality - that would be 4 years in a row, and correct if I'm wrong but I don't believe that has ever happened in HU's conference affiliation era

this program should NEVER go that long without at least an appearance in the tourney...and don't even get me started on actually making it past the 1st round. During my time at HU I don't remember a yr when HU wasn't a top 10 team, give or take a spot, and at least a realistic SHOT to make the FF - beating teams like Hopkins, UNC, Duke, Notre Dame, etc was the NORM. Losing to a first yr midwestern program, or a program like Penn St for goodness sake is an absolute travesty

Yep, I'm harsh on that program - no apologies. When you have history, when you have tradition, when you sit squarely in the juiciest hot bed of talent in the entire NATION, then yeah you are expected to put out and WIN. NO excuses.
LaxPhan

Post by LaxPhan »

While aiming high, the goals should be attainable. Winning the CAAs and getting to the big dance are the two priorities. Graduating good young men that go on to be successful people is the other. I believe the coaching staff and University do a great job with supporting the players academically and helping make them successful people. They represent the school wonderfully, better at times than the supposed top tier schools like Duke, Hopkins, UVA etc. that have made headlines the past few years.

Regarding the first two goals, any HU fan has a right to be frustrated, to a degree. My experience with the team is such that I believe the coaches handle the X's and O's very well. They also recruit well, but, maybe not with the high profile players from the prep school circuit. Todays roster for example has standout players in all the major positions and while the team hasn't gotten the brass ring the past few years, these players would step on the field and excel with any ACC team. Specifically, Selva in goal, Malave/Hendricksen in midfield, Romano and Reicherter as short stick defensive midfielders, Sullivan as long pole, Llinares in attack and Reilly as the LSM. Add to this Clarke, the premier FOGO in his class and you have an incredible foundation. These are all great lacrosse players and they are also really good people that represent the university in a positive way. No one can accuse the coaches of not focusing on character development and stressing academic achievement. And I can tell you no school has more focus on, and resources for academic support.

Winning in D1 is hard. Not making excuses, the Pride need to hone the mental toughness to win the winnable games and close the deal in the conference championship. Last year was just brutal. Dropping the opener to Marquette hurt. So too did losing to St. John's and Penn State. I was as frustrated as the next HU fan last year. Taking a very good Drexel team to a 3 OT loss in the championship is nothing to hang ones head over, BUT, I do believe 2015 will be a great season. My early read based on watching fall ball is that the Pride will play some great lacrosse this season. So.... let's believe and let's keep the faith.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Thanks LaxPhan, sounds like you have better insight than I and I appreciate the feedback.

Please, don't even get me started in the SJU loss - that's just a smack in the face to the school, the program, the players and coaches who've gone before, and basically to the whole daggone sport !! Ok, a bit dramatic lol, but that loss was a bunch of horse manure

And I DO appreciate the fact the program has high character young men who do well academically and who rep HU well

And I DO believe HU has SOME talent that could play anywhere

HOWEVER, I do NOT believe they have all kinds all over the field - if they did they NEVER in a hundred yrs would lose to MU, SJU, and friggin PSU, especially in the same yr - I mean that's a complete JOKE - would bet the farm and everything on it that Duke, Hopkins, Maryland, UVa, Cuse, and the like wouldn't lose to those type of programs in the same season - would prob disband their programs if they did! lol

And yes, that's the top 10 level of play I fully expect this program to be. Why? Because that's what they've been before. It's absolutely doable, that's a proven fact, so no excuses accepted. And if what you're saying is true on solid Xs and Os, than that will take a serious upgrade in recruiting. Which is nothing more than backbreaking balls to the wall HARD WORK.
LaxPhan

Post by LaxPhan »

The SJU loss isn't as ugly as you might think. The program has improved greatly under Jason Miller and their star player, Kieran McArdle is among the best attackman around, he was Rookie of the Year this past year in the MLL. Hofstra was without Sam Llinares due to injury that game which impacted the offense. McArdle was unstoppable and SJU ran the 2 man offense with great effect. The loss to Marquette was painful, no argument. Amplo had the team ready, the Pride were flat, it happens. Penn State, just came down to two freak plays that put two points up on the board for PSU and that made the difference. I wouldn't fold the program though as the team took the CAA and almost won the title against a very good Drexel team. Disappointing, YES, Catastrophic, NAH. This year will be better. If you see me at the games say hello, I'll be the guy with the rosey glasses on.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Here is where I see the problem. Under Dino our OOC was much better than what Seth has had the past few years. Duke NC, Hopkins,Army, and others were always on the schedule. Our RPI was one of the highest in the nation. Now with thew way the OOC is set up we need to win the CAA just to get in. Unless the CAA is in a up year we need to win it all. Up the OOC and it gives us some wiggle room.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Good stuff LaxPhan, I dig it 8-)

As harsh as I am with high expectations for certain areas, I am HU all the way and want nothing but the best for the entire athletics department and the university as a whole - I'm a passionate fella

And I've def been known to drink a little kool-aide myself at times, so all good, and all appreciated - ROLL PRIDE baby!

(sorry guys, I like it until something better comes along)
Polito

Post by Polito »

that's true as well, schedule has been relatively weak under ST and that makes the sub-par performances even less tolerable - HU was a legit top 10ish team my ENTIRE time at HU, playing AND beating some of the best teams in the nation EVERY YR

I think I've made my point that this nonsense has to stop - expectations are high - the kitchen is hot - get the job done.

Will align with LaxPhan and hope and believe in a great traditional HU-like season that includes a conf champ and an NCAA appearance. It just take one great yr to make enough noise to cause an uptick in recruiting - I know they all want to win and want to be better - but 'wanting' is not enough - it's time to perform - and I'll be pulling for them all, big time.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

I know that a deep run in the NCAA is what you really want. But if Hofstra scores in triple OT and not Drexel, are you looking at this as dramatically? I do agree things need to be better, by the way.
LaxPhan

Post by LaxPhan »

Great comments all. I would disagree on one point, I think those looking back at Donowski may be prejudiced by his success at Duke. I wasn't a close follower of HU lax back then but comparing his body of work at Duke against HU is unfair. He has more horses at Duke then HU, its just a reality. He's the same guy at Duke he was at HU. By the way, ST has done a far superior job building alumni support, creating some of the best lax facilities in all of D1, creating a top notch academic support program, keeping the program out of the headlines negatively, obtaining a 100% graduation rate of active players. Come on, let's be real here, the guy is top notch, the school is lucky to have him.

SOS is a complex issue. The oxymoronic trend of 'quality losses' complicates matters as well as the issues of travel, cost, time away from school. I don't think its as easy as we might think.

Take a look at the past two seasons. Why would an out of conference rival, say an ACC powerhouse want to come to Shuart and play Hofstra? HU has upset Notre Dame and Cornell the past two years. If I am an ACC coach, I would want my out of conference games to be against a weaker opponent. HU can on any given Saturday beat a top team, the team gets amped up for that type of opponent.

I don't think building a SOS is as easy as we might think. Plus, the CAA isn't going to get an extra AQ and has to work harder for At large selections than the ACC, Ivy. Just another fact of life.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

LaxPhan no one is knocking Seth as far as alumn support and fund raising. It is top notch but not getting to the NCAAs for 4 years is unacceptable. Remember when Dino was here only (12) teams made it to the NCAAs now there are 4 more in the mix. They have two different styles of coaching. Seth is more defense orientated while Dino was a run and gun type of offense. Do ACC not want to play us because they are scared of losing to us, I dont think so. Dino had no trouble getting these teams. We have to pump up our OOC not only for our SOS but it helps with fan support. Who would you rather play Hopkins or Sacred heart. Army or Manhattan. Notre Dame or St Johns. These teams had no trouble getting here. Also these teams would welcome a trip to Long Island for recruiting purposes.
LaxPhan

Post by LaxPhan »

Well if they would welcome it, why then are they not here? Probably more reasons than we are aware of. I wonder how much upside an ACC team sees in playing Hofstra. I am not suggesting anyone is afraid, but rather, would prefer to add a different opponent. I have to believe ST has attempted to add strength to the schedule. It's probably a bit more complicated than I might think.

I wouldn't agree ST is more defensive minded as he puts very strong coaches to handle defense. Now, do we have the right offensive schemes? That's an interesting question.
Polito

Post by Polito »

tread lightly with scheduling 'excuses' - because that's really all they are - heard it from bball for yrs, it's COMPLETE BULL - no one is afraid to play HU, and there's PLENTY of reason TO play HU, ESP in lax in this market

why isn't it happening? Ask the staff. There's no excuse why.

JD produced KILLER schedules EVERY SINGLE yr - why can't ST do it?? who the heck knows...that's exactly the point.

when it comes to lax, EVERY program in the US would happily come to THE hotbed for talent - the facility is fantastic (hence hosting quarters) and even though the program is down, it's not like this is some D3 - HU still carries some history, thankfully - it makes zero sense why they wouldn't

and if it's because they see no value anymore, then once again THAT is on ST and his teams subpar performance over the last few yrs

there's no way around it, ST needs to step up and produce - that's the bottom line answer to ALL of this.