Utah Jazz 2019 Summer League

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jojogunne

Re: Utah Jazz 2019 Summer League

Post by Jojogunne »

Big second half from Justin (we've seen that before) ...

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900 ... eland.html

... and that dunk!

https://twitter.com/SLAMonline/status/1 ... 7079860224
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:Big second half from Justin (we've seen that before) ...

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900 ... eland.html
Tony Bradley has also played very well, but why mention only JWF in the headline and then use a picture of Bradley below that?
Wags

Post by Wags »

JWF played the most time for the Jazz last night, and despite a rough first game, played the second-most time for them in the first game, so it seems they want to see a lot of him.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Wags wrote:JWF played the most time for the Jazz last night, and despite a rough first game, played the second-most time for them in the first game, so it seems they want to see a lot of him.
Yes Wags - noticed the same thing. And I agree, I think they do want to see him as much as possible. I think that is a good sign, because I don't believe they want to see what he can do with the ball (they knew that or they would not have drafted him), rather, I think they want to see where he best fits.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Sorry to see they traded for another guard from the Knicks, Emanuel Mudilay, not sure of spelling.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote:
Wags wrote:JWF played the most time for the Jazz last night, and despite a rough first game, played the second-most time for them in the first game, so it seems they want to see a lot of him.
Yes Wags - noticed the same thing. And I agree, I think they do want to see him as much as possible. I think that is a good sign, because I don't believe they want to see what he can do with the ball (they knew that or they would not have drafted him), rather, I think they want to see where he best fits.
Well, it's both. As Justin said after his rough first game, the length and quickness was something he wasn't used to. So, the more minutes he gets, obviously the more he can show what he can do with something like that. What I think the Jazz have to love is that it took Justin all of ONE GAME to figure that out and feel a lot more comfortable, and as a result, produce a lot better in the second game.

As for tonight, no worries that he didn't play. The Jazz normally give their players one day off out of the three in the SLC Summer League. So, tonight was simply JWF's turn to rest. They did the same with Brantley after his good first game for the second game. In the third game tonight, Brantley played well again as he did in the first game. Would love to see Brantley join JWF on the Jazz regular season roster. They're a very good and deep team though, one of the better in the West, so it may be tough. But I love (of course) to see JWF making noise and repping HU, and also like to see another from the CAA doing the same on JWF's team.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Miye Oni, the Yale player, also looks very good. The Jazz did well in the second round.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Was really great to see, pulling for him obviously! He's got a tough hill to climb, PG skills are really lacking, so he needs to force their hand that they can't not have that scoring ability on this team next season. And forget the score highlights, that DEFENSIVE play immediately after one is what had me pumped! He's gonna need to keep showing that, all the heart and hustle, on top of some of the nice passing/assists.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Was really great to see, pulling for him obviously! He's got a tough hill to climb, PG skills are really lacking, so he needs to force their hand that they can't not have that scoring ability on this team next season. And forget the score highlights, that DEFENSIVE play immediately after one is what had me pumped! He's gonna need to keep showing that, all the heart and hustle, on top of some of the nice passing/assists.
His defensive effort has looked good. He's been making a concerted effort to get up on the guys he's guarding early in a possession and aggressively, and he's been working hard to fight through screens, and even after he gets bumped off his man by a pick, to recover quickly and either get back on the guy he was guarding or to quickly read a switch and take his teammate's man. As you said, Jazz coaches will be watching that in addition to his scoring ability.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Watched the Jazz's third NBA summer league game against Oklahoma yesterday afternoon flipping channels between the game and the Yankees. This was just another example of Justin having an off shooting day where his shots weren't falling but just like when he played for us he stills finds ways to get points by constantly being fouled. He wound up with 14 points including an exciting backdoor one hand tomahawk dunk that got the crowd going. All and all he played decent defense had a few steals and some assists. I listened to the announcers constantly talking about him and HU and they made it sound like he practically has made the team as a backup PG. It's pretty clear that he's considered a PG here but in reality he will be a combo guard who can have a very effective game playing off the ball. The percentage of shots that he is making is created by his moves and cuts to the baskets. I haven't seen him shoot very many shots where he is wide open even though he's open a lot but not getting passed the ball. I have never watched a lot of NBA games preferring rather to watch college b-ball instead and at least in these summer games its amazing to me how bad the shooting can be. Tons of airball type shots and shots not even close. Crazy!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

triplec2195 wrote:Watched the Jazz's third NBA summer league game against Oklahoma yesterday afternoon flipping channels between the game and the Yankees. This was just another example of Justin having an off shooting day where his shots weren't falling but just like when he played for us he stills finds ways to get points by constantly being fouled. He wound up with 14 points including an exciting backdoor one hand tomahawk dunk that got the crowd going. All and all he played decent defense had a few steals and some assists. I listened to the announcers constantly talking about him and HU and they made it sound like he practically has made the team as a backup PG. It's pretty clear that he's considered a PG here but in reality he will be a combo guard who can have a very effective game playing off the ball. The percentage of shots that he is making is created by his moves and cuts to the baskets. I haven't seen him shoot very many shots where he is wide open even though he's open a lot but not getting passed the ball. I have never watched a lot of NBA games preferring rather to watch college b-ball instead and at least in these summer games its amazing to me how bad the shooting can be. Tons of airball type shots and shots not even close. Crazy!

Regarding the announcers talking him up. Keep in mind that was Jared Greenberg who is a Hofstra alum; so definitely a little bias.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I should have known that Mathew thanks for the info.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:Watched the Jazz's third NBA summer league game against Oklahoma yesterday afternoon flipping channels between the game and the Yankees. This was just another example of Justin having an off shooting day where his shots weren't falling but just like when he played for us he stills finds ways to get points by constantly being fouled. He wound up with 14 points including an exciting backdoor one hand tomahawk dunk that got the crowd going. All and all he played decent defense had a few steals and some assists. I listened to the announcers constantly talking about him and HU and they made it sound like he practically has made the team as a backup PG. It's pretty clear that he's considered a PG here but in reality he will be a combo guard who can have a very effective game playing off the ball. The percentage of shots that he is making is created by his moves and cuts to the baskets. I haven't seen him shoot very many shots where he is wide open even though he's open a lot but not getting passed the ball. I have never watched a lot of NBA games preferring rather to watch college b-ball instead and at least in these summer games its amazing to me how bad the shooting can be. Tons of airball type shots and shots not even close. Crazy!
Just 3/14 from the field in the game against OKC (yesterday, 7/6), like he was in the first game, but at least he showed the ability to get to the line and make those (7/8) despite the struggles from the floor.

Today (in a loss to Miami), only 7 pts on 2/7 fg in 23 mins. So, he's really only impressed in one of four games thus far. Gotta see him step it up soon like he did in that second game.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

His shots for the most part are shots he's creating for himself. He seems to be wide open for corner shots but nobody ever gives him the ball. We all know what he can do in the corner especially wide open. He probably had about 4 assists in the game yesterday and clearly was in pass mode first. He also was getting pressed in the backcourt for the first time which I think he needs to improve his ball skills. Again lots of bricks being thrown up but not by Justin.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

triplec2195 wrote:His shots for the most part are shots he's creating for himself. He seems to be wide open for corner shots but nobody ever gives him the ball. We all know what he can do in the corner especially wide open. He probably had about 4 assists in the game yesterday and clearly was in pass mode first. He also was getting pressed in the backcourt for the first time which I think he needs to improve his ball skills. Again lots of bricks being thrown up but not by Justin.
I also noticed them not passing to him when he’s open. These players might not trust his shot. He outscored everyone of them in college. Kid can shoot - he just needs to obviously hit his shots when he takes them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

dutchalum01 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:His shots for the most part are shots he's creating for himself. He seems to be wide open for corner shots but nobody ever gives him the ball. We all know what he can do in the corner especially wide open. He probably had about 4 assists in the game yesterday and clearly was in pass mode first. He also was getting pressed in the backcourt for the first time which I think he needs to improve his ball skills. Again lots of bricks being thrown up but not by Justin.
I also noticed them not passing to him when he’s open. These players might not trust his shot. He outscored everyone of them in college. Kid can shoot - he just needs to obviously hit his shots when he takes them.

It's a lot about players trying to increase their value but yes he has been open a lot and he doesn't get the ball so when he does he has to force shots at times like his first shot from the right corner yesterday which was a typical JWF circus shot that he missed. They want him to play the point and I think he has played it pretty well giving up his own shots to set up other players.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

triplec2195 wrote:
dutchalum01 wrote:

It's a lot about players trying to increase their value but yes he has been open a lot and he doesn't get the ball so when he does he has to force shots at times like his first shot from the right corner yesterday which was a typical JWF circus shot that he missed. They want him to play the point and I think he has played it pretty well giving up his own shots to set up other players.
Agreed. He had 4 assists I believe, should have been 5 had the big guy not missed point blank.

Wags

Post by Wags »

dutchalum01 wrote: Agreed. He had 4 assists I believe, should have been 5 had the big guy not missed point blank.
This assist, in particular (as the color analyst noted), was a nice pass from JWF, and demonstrates the type of good PnR vision (being patient, keeping the dribble a bit longer to allow the screener get free and roll to the hoop before finding him with a nice touch) that NBA teams (Jazz or otherwise) are always interested in since the NBA is largely a PnR game today:
https://twitter.com/ScoutWithBryan/stat ... 6174718977
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

JWF isn't playing tonight due to injury. Jazz reported right knee soreness and right hamstring tightness.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

ProudofPride wrote:JWF isn't playing tonight due to injury. Jazz reported right knee soreness and right hamstring tightness.
Wow imagine that I don't think he was ever injured and missed a game for us during his college career.