MBB Game 23 at Northeastern on February 2, 2019 (4:30 P.M.)

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraMathew

Re: MBB Game 23 at Northeastern on February 2, 2019 (4:30 P.

Post by HofstraMathew »

triplec2195 wrote:
EvanJ wrote:Hofstra (seventh at 1.42) and Northeastern (ninth at 1.40) are the only teams in the same conference in the top ten in points per shot.

It will be a simulcast of Northeastern's announcers, so it won't have pro-Hofstra or neutral announcers. At least it will get in TV listings and can be found by people going through channels to see what they want to watch. It is also possible to DVR it. CAA.TV allows you to watch games after they are over, but if you pause during a game, pushing play makes it go live rather than where you paused it, so pausing doesn't do anything.
It's nice to have this game simulcast on MSG since it will be easier to get if I'm not home rather then having to stream it however I was hoping for some N.Y. ANNOUNCING NEUTRALITY. I'll be repetitive but always shut off the volume can't deal with the ineptitude of the biased commentators. Still better to access the game on MSG !
I would expect it to be professional NESN announcers not students like with the CAA.tv feed.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HofstraMathew wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
EvanJ wrote: Hofstra (seventh at 1.42) and Northeastern (ninth at 1.40) are the only teams in the same conference in the top ten in points per shot.

It will be a simulcast of Northeastern's announcers, so it won't have pro-Hofstra or neutral announcers. At least it will get in TV listings and can be found by people going through channels to see what they want to watch. It is also possible to DVR it. CAA.TV allows you to watch games after they are over, but if you pause during a game, pushing play makes it go live rather than where you paused it, so pausing doesn't do anything.
It's nice to have this game simulcast on MSG since it will be easier to get if I'm not home rather then having to stream it however I was hoping for some N.Y. ANNOUNCING NEUTRALITY. I'll be repetitive but always shut off the volume can't deal with the ineptitude of the biased commentators. Still better to access the game on MSG !
I would expect it to be professional NESN announcers not students like with the CAA.tv feed.
I don't know if the announcers are students, but unlike our announcers, the announcers are used to being simulcast on TV. MSG wasn't going to be able to send announcers to Boston on short notice. The New York Red Bulls play on MSG, and the announcers don't go to away games. They might go to closer away games, but they don't fly.

With us today and Virginia when they lost to Duke, the last two teams to have the longest active winning streak were both underdogs at least once while having the longest active winning streak. I wonder if that has happened twice in one season before. I mean sole possession of the longest active winning streak. I'm not including if many 5-0 teams play and a few are underdogs.

The lines from http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-bas ... as/?s=1026 are:

Us underdogs by 2.5 (opened at 1.5)
Charleston favored by 11 hosting Towson at 4:00 P.M. (opened at 13)
William & Mary favored by 5.5 hosting Delaware at 4:00 P.M. (opened at 5)
Drexel favored by 2 at Elon at 7:00 P.M. (opened at 1)
UNC Wilmington favored by 4 hosting James Madison at 7:00 P.M. (opened at 4)

The average line for CAA games is exactly 5.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Looks like a few potentially good/close games on the CAA slate today...

And if HU takes down NU by 10+ on the road, I'd feel very confident saying this conf doesn't stand a chance. That would be a leveling up net-cutting type performance this late in the season against a very good team - I would take that kind of W all day long!! But I'm prepared for it to be a much tougher/closer battle than that.

This is a huge test to say the least, let's get it on and see what happens!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2019 ... stern.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky: Northeastern." It says:

"The game will also be broadcast on MSG Network, which apparently decided it wanted to show a basketball team with a chance at actually winning a game in 2019."

In other CAA news, there's bad news for Delaware, who has used only 10 players this season. Collin Goss started instead of Eric Carter. Carter averages 17.0 points and 10.4 rebounds and shoots .609. He will be on one of the CAA teams if he is healthy. If he's hurt, it makes it more likely for us, Northeastern, and Charleston to be the top three.

Edit: I counted wrong. Delaware has used 11 players. They lead 19-14 at William & Mary without him.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=235608 will have statistics. I'm disappointed that the lineups aren't available yet.

https://static.caasports.com/custompage ... m#team.ind has Northeastern's statistics.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Carter isn't the only CAA forward missing. Dwyer is starting and Taylor isn't. Northeastern is starting Vasa Pusica, Jordan Roland, Bolden Brace, Donnell Gresham, and Anthony Green. Roland is second to Pusica averaging 15.4 points, but he's been coming off the bench. Shawn Occeus was injured, played his first 4 games off the bench, and has started Northeastern's previous 7 games, but not today.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

There is a correction on the starters #23 Taylor is starting for HU.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I just saw that. Shawn Occeus, who averages 9.9 points and scored 13 at Hofstra, is injured.

Edit: After going down 7-3, we have our first lead at 10-9. We committed 4 fouls in under 3:30, with Buie committing 2.

Edit: With 7:52 left in the half, Northeastern tied for their largest lead at 23-19, and they have the ball. Wright-Foreman, Buie, Taylor, Pusica, Roland, and Green make 3 players each with 2 fouls.

Edit: We're down 28-26 with 3:47 left in the half and a chance to tie with 2 free throws. Pemberton also got has second foul. Donnell Gresham leads all scorers with 11, but he has 3 turnovers.
Last edited by EvanJ on Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

Eli looks lost today, as does Jalen. Combine that with JWF being in foul trouble makes for a shaky first half.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

This is how they perform after having a full week to prepare for this game? Wtf? Northeastern is without their best rebounder, you’d never know looking at the rebound discrepancy! Whole team is apparently ice cold from the floor as well.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

JWF only 12 minutes in the 1st half. All around poor shooting. Hope the team gets hot in the 2nd half.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

ProudofPride wrote: This is how they perform after having a full week to prepare for this game? Wtf? Northeastern is without their best rebounder, you’d never know looking at the rebound discrepancy! Whole team is apparently ice cold from the floor as well.
They're not without their best rebounder. If you let him qualify with having played in half of their games, Occeus is sixth on them averaging 2.7 rebounds.

We made 4 of 12 threes, but shot twos horribly at 4-for-13 and shot free throws 9-for-13 (.692), with Ray missing the first of a 1-and-1. It's bad that we're down 8 after a half in which Northeastern committed 11 fouls and 9 turnovers. JWF and Buie are tied for our lead with 8 points. We don't have any assists by a guard. We have 2, with 1 each by Taylor and Dwyer. Coburn leads us with 5 rebounds. Taylor has 2, and Dwyer has none in 13 minutes! JWF, Ray, Buie, Pemberton, and Taylor have 2 fouls. JWF and Buie played 12 minutes, and Taylor played 7. Coburn leads us in minutes with 18 followed by Ray with 16. Pemberton has 6; Coburn, Taylor, and Ray have 2; and Dwyer has 1 having made 1 of 2 free throws without attempting a field goal. Trueheart played 7 minutes. He missed a three 34 seconds after he entered, and he didn't shoot after that.

Pusica has 16. He made 5 of 6 field goals and 5 of 6 free throws. Surprisingly, he has 5 rebounds (averages 3.3) and only 1 assist (averages 4.3). Gresham has 11. Murphy has 4, and they have 3 players with 2. Brace, who averages 9.3 points, has 2 points and 7 rebounds. Pusica, Roland, Green, and Franklin have 2 fouls. Franklin entered averaging 8.9 minutes and under 1 foul per game with 16 in 17 games. Murphy, who averaged 0.75 assists, is the only player on either team with more than 1!
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

JWF looks like his left shoulder was reinjured.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Looks like we got the cream-of-the crop refs tonight as well.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

Boston dominates every single sport so I don’t know why CAA basketball would be any different.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Disappointing, team looks very poor - bad shooting sloppy play too much fouling - frustrating and on TV of course - the typical HU way :?

Getting beat is one thing but doing so in such a poor way is something else. Not impressed.

Ray got his first shot at being a starter instead of a spark and unfortunately and also unsurprisingly has not done well at all - has a lot to learn about being depended on full time, I know he will, so hopefully this helps spark the growth for next yr.

Kudos to NU for playing a pretty good game and having a great game plan so far - they have taken HU totally out of their comfort zone. Other guys not ready to step up at all, from Ray to ST to Dwyer etc

Need Pemba to lead tonight and of course he is having a very subpar game - not the time to do it

Again I’m not so upset that NU is playing so well they are a good team, but really not happy to see HU play so badly - can handle a loss and the streak and all that, but I want to see this team play at a consistent high level

But hey every team has bad games - hope they can turn on the heat these last few minutes - still a shot...
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

What a stinker and unwatchable with these refs. Didn't even consider I'd be turning this one off early but here we are.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Very questionable officiating on Pemberton's TF and now Coach Joe was also tagged with a TF on the DB foul. Poor shooting, questionable decisions, etc. leads to a 14 point defeat. The only bright spot is a 2 game lead over NU remains. Remember that a new streak can begin on Thursday vs EU. Of the 8 CAA games remaining, 4 home and 4 away.
Last edited by The Shadow on Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Polito

Post by Polito »

No excuse, they played like sh!t and got spanked on TV - pretty frustrated after a week to prepare - I mean keep the damn game close - failure all around staff and players

Best wake up after today. Gonna find out what they’re made of on Thur - this was a champ game to prove they’re ready to cut nets ...

Nope. Not yet. STILL.

Not giving up of course, good team, but this was not ok. Dance or bust, so I hope this is the stinker out of the way. See everyone on Thur.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Polito wrote:No excuse, they played like sh!t and got spanked on TV - pretty frustrated after a week to prepare - I mean keep the damn game close - failure all around staff and players

Best wake up after today. Gonna find out what they’re made of on Thur - this was a champ game to prove they’re ready to cut nets ...

Nope. Not yet. STILL.

Not giving up of course, good team, but this was not ok. Dance or bust, so I hope this is the stinker out of the way. See everyone on Thur.
They are still the best team in the conference despite today's stinker. Northeastern rebounded and defended very well, Hofstra shot terrible, and the refs were brutally bad. New streak starts Thursday but the Huskies will be a very tough out in the tournament. Don't forget they had a pretty big lead late in Hempstead as well.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Hope this was not a peek into next years team - who is going to step up when JWF is not bailing them out??

Only bit of leadership today came from DB. EP and JR really disappointed. TC was too quiet, and JT was mediocre.

As we've all said before, anything can happen in CAA games.

As good as HU is, it will certainly not be a lock that they are a championship team until they actually cut the nets.

Need to get back on track on Thursday!