MBB Recruits 2022

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Captain

Re: MBB Recruits 2022

Post by Captain »

Verbal commits counts Marshall as a scholarship. What makes you think he is not?
I think if we had a scholly we would have signed Perry Smith.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Verbal shows him as a scholarship player but verbal has been wrong before. I’ve said it before that I don’t think Marshall is on scholarship here. He wasn’t recruited much and I find it hard to believe that we gave him a scholarship. He didn’t see one minute of action the entire year. Does this sound like a scholarship player??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cards

Post by Cards »

Some on the board have been hoping for a Sean Durugordon commitment. He is committed , but its with Austin Peay
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

triplec2195 wrote:Verbal shows him as a scholarship player but verbal has been wrong before. I’ve said it before that I don’t think Marshall is on scholarship here. He wasn’t recruited much and I find it hard to believe that we gave him a scholarship. He didn’t see one minute of action the entire year. Does this sound like a scholarship player??
Sounds like 2021-22 was a redshirt year.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Whoa that is very surprising about SD, huge drop-off from where he was projected... something amiss there, he was nearly a lock to URI recently with coach Archie Miller. That's a big difference. URI board began speculating some oddities of late, so something def went sour there.

Anyhoo, not at HU, and it seems he was not getting much attention from anyone bigger than the A10 - wondering if HU even had any real interest, seems doubtful now. He's been available since January, that's a long time to be dangling around just to end up at AP.

Onward we go...
Captain

Post by Captain »

Marshall committed late.This was after Vazquez from St Bonaventure did not clear academically for HU.
I believe that freed up a scholly late for Marshall. And last year would have been a good time to redshirt since we were guard heavy and minutes were scarce anyway. I hope he turns out to be an asset.
Many years ago HU offered a good Bayside guard who ultimately did not qualify academically.
I asked David Duke, Pecora's assistant at the time what happened and he told me that losing the Bayside kid allowed them to offer a scholly and ultimately a redshirt year to Charles Jenkins so you never know how things will turn out.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We'll find out I guess this year about Marshall. He did practice with the team though in pre-game warm ups. Neither Tomasco or Barrouk did however. With little recruiting interest from other schools I'm not sure we would have offered him a scholarship.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Perhaps partial? Is that still a thing?
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

We and St. Bonaventure have offered PG KJ Robinson:

https://twitter.com/KiJanRobinson/statu ... 2BE6pkvh6w
garyg

Post by garyg »

`Anyone able to dig up some more info on this kid ??
Cards

Post by Cards »

FYI - Verbal Commits now shows the updated CAA (Hampton, NCAT, SB, MU, and removed JM).

May mean nothing, but NCAT has two 4-star PFs.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

garyg wrote:`Anyone able to dig up some more info on this kid ??
Is this the same kid? Was a prodigy when he was 5'5 now he's grown a few inches! https://youtu.be/qLtlYomEciM
Polito

Post by Polito »

Not sure yet what to really expect from NC A&T, but they have a very strong recruiting class on paper - they seem to have a HC that 'gets it', at least he's saying some great things that I really agree with in terms of philosophy - he seems to be navigating their conf change and the changing collegiate landscape well, again at least so far on paper - they have recruited a class that is in fact NOT one and done transfers, but guys with 2-4 years of eligibility so they can establish a foundation and build themselves into a contender - seems akin to how JM lead HU out from the brink. Perhaps a program to watch, time will tell.

Mid majors need to be careful how many guys they bring in who 1 and gone. In many ways, that's the new world. But it's a risky one that has to be mitigated. Only the top P5's can handle one and dones every year and win championships. Not even a Nova did that, they built seasoning, so pretty doubtful a mid major can long-term either. I prefer the transfers with 2-3 years of eligibility left, and that's what they seem to be smartly focused on as well. HU has done a decent job of this too, mixing those kind of longer term players in pretty well. Just need to continue to be careful and mindful on that going forward.

Can't guarantee they stay anyway, it's all a total free for all crapshoot because the NCAA sucks and has allowed college sports to upend itself (and it's about to get worse), so who knows if even that plan will work - have to get guys that stay, no easy task today.

Regardless, NC A&T are in fact my early dark horse in the conf this year - I don't think they'll have enough to win the league, too much change and uncertainty and growth required for them, but I do think they could be a 'tougher out' than perhaps expected if things fall in to place.