MBB Recruits 2019

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID74

Re: MBB Recruits 2019

Post by HUSID74 »

Ray will start...he is the heir to JWF...take it to the bank.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

triplec2195 wrote:
Polito wrote:Make room for him ASAP. There are plenty of guys on this roster that don't belong quite frankly. Harsh but folks this is D1, you don't turn guys like that away at HU if he's open to it, you absolutely find a way to make room, period. IF of course he's even open to that option.

And let me say I LOVE the Cramer signing, big time get for HU - kudos to the staff - offer list speaks for itself, they are from this summer so post-injury, and was in contact with Ohio St. and others as well (can dig up later). Kid can play and the exact talent level HU needs to win this league (A10+ level steals)

And I agree 100% Gary, I would absolutely redshirt him, make doubly sure he's full speed 100% from the injury - Kante will fill his role very well next year anyway. Create some seperation...

And pigs must be flying as I see this staff not only land a talented guy in the EARLY period, but he SIGNED! Praise the Lord - there is hope for this staff! ;) :P
Polito nice to see you came out of hibernation and welcome back. We need more people who think outside the box but I don't think we should waste too much time dreaming about Painter. Can anyone tell us why he would sign with us??
There were a lot of posts about Dylan Painter and how he is transferring out of Villanova and what a great get he would be for us. I just noticed surfing around verbal commits that he verbally committed to Delaware. Bad news boys now he will be the immediate enemy.

Dylan Painter
StatusVerbally Committed to Delaware
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yeah, with 6 years of this staff under our belts, we should all know how it's going to go. No chance Kante ever plays the 4, and if JT is around they will never be on the floor at the same time. This staff will not play 2 bigs. Those two will split time at the 5, I'd bet $ on that. Further, Kante will likely take the larger portion of the minutes with JT filling in the rest. Good scenario, two very diff types of players and skill sets, gives nice options for diff matchups and looks for opponents. I am also high on Kante like JM, was a very good pickup.

Agree 100% Ray starts, and he should. This kid is very talented and a little under the radar still. Short, but a baller. Confident, shoots well from 3, unafraid to attack the basket among the trees, hits floaters, FT's, can and will take the big shots anytime any game. Has instinct and the desire to be a killer. IF JT returns, it will be:

Buie / TBD PG
Ray / TBD SG
Pemba / Matija
Coburn / ST
Kante / JT

Again, going with JT returning, in that case I think one of Schutte / Hughes should move on and free up a spot. Staff landed a high-end 3/4 in Cramer, now need a PG, SG/CG, and 5.

Weakness is size/height, and the guard depth is a concern until the class is filled - that's a very short lineup, albeit a very talented one.

Funny, I am now actually more concerned with properly backing up the 1 + 2 spots than I am the 5...
garyg

Post by garyg »

Regardless of who starts and who comes off the bench as well as who plays the 5 and who plays the 4 I think we are all in agreement that if JAM lands PG of the future and legitimate 5 in this class the Pride program should be very strong in seasons to come...as strong as it's ever been
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

triplec2195 wrote:So Flying Dutchmen I'm curious as to what reference source you're using to get this info. on PG in Georgia.
Mainly the one below, then just scouring the internet for anything else I can find to connect them to Hofstra.

https://hoopseen.com/rankings/state/georgia/2019

There are a bunch of talented PG's in Georgia this year, and it looks like a hotbed of talent overall. Hopefully we can turn it into a pipeline down the road, if Speedy has connects in Georgia from when he was playing with the Hawks.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:So Flying Dutchmen I'm curious as to what reference source you're using to get this info. on PG in Georgia.
Mainly the one below, then just scouring the internet for anything else I can find to connect them to Hofstra.

https://hoopseen.com/rankings/state/georgia/2019

There are a bunch of talented PG's in Georgia this year, and it looks like a hotbed of talent overall. Hopefully we can turn it into a pipeline down the road, if Speedy has connects in Georgia from when he was playing with the Hawks.
Thanks for the info. FD and yes apparently a lot of talent down there. COC has already landed Brenden Tucker(LOI) and also Trevon Reddish PG from the Georgia area beating us to the punch. Hopefully we get a letter of intent signed soon.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

triplec2195 wrote: Thanks for the info. FD and yes apparently a lot of talent down there. COC has already landed Brenden Tucker(LOI) and also Trevon Reddish PG from the Georgia area beating us to the punch. Hopefully we get a letter of intent signed soon.
The next signing period doesn't open until April 17th; we can get a verbal commit now but no actually signing until then.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:
triplec2195 wrote: Thanks for the info. FD and yes apparently a lot of talent down there. COC has already landed Brenden Tucker(LOI) and also Trevon Reddish PG from the Georgia area beating us to the punch. Hopefully we get a letter of intent signed soon.
The next signing period doesn't open until April 17th; we can get a verbal commit now but no actually signing until then.
Thanks Mathew I did not know that. A verbal would be good for now.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Big Men wish list As of now they are still available
Jaden Bediako 6ft10 230 from Canada
Kuany Kuany 6ft10 200 Bradenton Fla
Issa Muhammad 6ft9 230 Atlanta Ga
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

stuball888 wrote:Big Men wish list As of now they are still available
Jaden Bediako 6ft10 230 from Canada
Kuany Kuany 6ft10 200 Bradenton Fla
Issa Muhammad 6ft9 230 Atlanta Ga
Bediako already committed to Santa Clara. Muhammad will be tough, lots of major conference offers. Kuany as well, multiple major conference offers.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yep, Georgia is LOADED. Will gladly take some of that talent.

And HU best be on their recruiting game, ZERO projects - CofC has already landed top 15's in both Georgia and South Carolina. That program is not playing around, HU needs to bring in the talent to match if it wants to win titles and go dancing more than once every 20 yrs. Winning 18-20 games is nice, certainly not complaining as it could be (and has been) much worse, but that's not the goal.

If others can do it, HU can too...and frankly should be expected to. Bring home the bacon Speedy!
garyg

Post by garyg »

HUSID74 wrote:
Polito wrote:Very good feedback HUSID, thank you

Did you mean to say that he got "strep" after rehabbing his leg? If so, that would largely explain the decision to focus on full recovery and college readiness. Just want to confirm that is what you meant...

Like I said, no concern on his size, perfect for the 4.
Polito, yup strep after the rehab....now he's focusing on getting ready for us and next year.

Another tidbit...asked Speedy about point guards and he said we're close...a kid from Atlanta that we have a connection to is VERY close...fingers crossed! I'll leave you to figure out who it is.
Can you give us his initials...?? LOL
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

He did not tell us his name...
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

triplec2195 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
Polito wrote:Make room for him ASAP. There are plenty of guys on this roster that don't belong quite frankly. Harsh but folks this is D1, you don't turn guys like that away at HU if he's open to it, you absolutely find a way to make room, period. IF of course he's even open to that option.

And let me say I LOVE the Cramer signing, big time get for HU - kudos to the staff - offer list speaks for itself, they are from this summer so post-injury, and was in contact with Ohio St. and others as well (can dig up later). Kid can play and the exact talent level HU needs to win this league (A10+ level steals)

And I agree 100% Gary, I would absolutely redshirt him, make doubly sure he's full speed 100% from the injury - Kante will fill his role very well next year anyway. Create some seperation...

And pigs must be flying as I see this staff not only land a talented guy in the EARLY period, but he SIGNED! Praise the Lord - there is hope for this staff! ;) :P
Polito nice to see you came out of hibernation and welcome back. We need more people who think outside the box but I don't think we should waste too much time dreaming about Painter. Can anyone tell us why he would sign with us??
There were a lot of posts about Dylan Painter and how he is transferring out of Villanova and what a great get he would be for us. I just noticed surfing around verbal commits that he verbally committed to Delaware. Bad news boys now he will be the immediate enemy.

Dylan Painter
StatusVerbally Committed to Delaware
Did we even try to recruit this guy?

https://bluehens.com/news/2018/12/21/de ... inter.aspx
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Jojogunne wrote:Did we even try to recruit this guy?

https://bluehens.com/news/2018/12/21/de ... inter.aspx
We don't have a scholarship open; not sure how hard the coaching staff tried to open one up but you probably can't force someone to leave.
garyg

Post by garyg »

You can not force someone to leave and like you said we do not currently have scholarship open...recruit is probably enrolled for spring semester at Delaware
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

garyg wrote:You can not force someone to leave and like you said we do not currently have scholarship open...recruit is probably enrolled for spring semester at Delaware
Yes he is; he will be eligible to play starting with the spring 2020 semester.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Considering we play only six or seven guys and redshirt or "casa bow wow" the rest, there's no excuse for not keeping our 13th scholarship open for opportunistic transfers like Painter.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Jojogunne wrote:Considering we play only six or seven guys and redshirt or "casa bow wow" the rest, there's no excuse for not keeping our 13th scholarship open for opportunistic transfers like Painter.
Agreed.... Jay usually had scholarship [s] open when he was coaching at Hofstra
Polito

Post by Polito »

I'm hoping this means JT is coming back next season... although another true big is still needed.