POY and all CAA

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Hofstra

Re: POY and all CAA

Post by Hofstra »

I would have liked for him to win it, but 40 percent of his team are on the first team of the league.. 30 percent are on the first 2 teams.. loaded with talent in regards to the rest of the league in our starting 5
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

The Rok also first team !!!!!

Congratulations !!!!!!
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

Ameen, second team.

Awesome. Outstanding. Congratulations !!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Rok also all-defensive and all-academic team. That's 3 different all-conference teams... as a sophomore.

Looks like he's as much of a vacuum with CAA awards as he is with rebounds :D
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra wrote: I would have liked for him to win it, but 40 percent of his team are on the first team of the league.. 30 percent are on the first 2 teams.. loaded with talent in regards to the rest of the league in our starting 5
You mean 40 percent of the First Team and 30 percent of the first 2 teams are on Hofstra. What you typed was that 40 percent of Hofstra are on the First Team and 30 percent of Hofstra are on the first 2 teams.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Congratulations to our POY Juan'ya Green, first team CAA Rokas Gustys and the TANK on second team. jAM should have been COY...he'll prove that over the weekend!
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

You should have been an ELA teacher.. My mistake..
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Congratulations to our winners. Gustys made the defensive and academic teams as well as first team:

http://www.gohofstra.com/documents/2016 ... CAAMBB.pdf

Interesting, I don't recall seeing the breakdown of all the votes in past years. Koon received 13 points and Bernardi 1.

The COY wasn't even close. I guess voters figured they would split the POY and COY honors between the top two teams.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Take the blue & gold glasses off guys, and be OBJECTIVE.

I wanted JAM to be COY too, but it's a pretty simple vote.

One coach's team is picked 1st, the other 6th in the preseason. They finish tied for 1st and they beat each other head to head in pretty much the same way.

There's no debate here. If you look at it without a Hofstra lens, Keatts is the CLEAR choice.

Congrats to Juan'ya! Not easy to be picked as the POY and to back it up. Same for HU to be picked 1st and to back it up with a regular season title (even though it was even tougher for UNCW to overachieve and tie them). But no surprise on Keatts or Juan'ya.

And no surprise for Rok making the First Team either, but I was a bit surprised that he made the All-Defensive Team. That is awesome!!

And congrats to Tanksley on the Second Team selection.

Can't wait to head to head down to Baltimore in just several hours now and see this team back it up one more time over three days.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Wags wrote:Take the blue & gold glasses off guys, and be OBJECTIVE.

I wanted JAM to be COY too, but it's a pretty simple vote.

One coach's team is picked 1st, the other 6th in the preseason. They finish tied for 1st and they beat each other head to head in pretty much the same way.

There's no debate here. If you look at it without a Hofstra lens, Keatts is the CLEAR choice.

Congrats to Juan'ya! Not easy to be picked as the POY and to back it up. Same for HU to be picked 1st and to back it up with a regular season title (even though it was even tougher for UNCW to overachieve and tie them). But no surprise on Keatts or Juan'ya.

And no surprise for Rok making the First Team either, but I was a bit surprised that he made the All-Defensive Team. That is awesome!!

And congrats to Tanksley on the Second Team selection.

Can't wait to head to head down to Baltimore in just several hours now and see this team back it up one more time over three days.

Wags I agree with you -
JG - a clear choice for POY
JAM - could have easily have won COY, why? he did what they were supposed to and won the very tough CAA (tougher then most of us thought); he did it with a depleted team (MN injured; ID no-show; JR redshirt) why not? his lack of bench other then MN were, in some way shape or form, his calls - and Keatts and his team - really did have an impressive year - no problem with Keatts
RG - great well deserved addition to 1st Team and Academic Team - but recognizing him for his All Defense is really great, he clearly was a rebounding force (and a key offensive player) and i have said it many times this season - that his improvement on defense from the start of the season until now is something that I took notice of and to recognized for those efforts is something he should be proud of -
e=what a season JG and RG!!!!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

I also don't have a problem with Keatts getting COY, although I personally don't think it was as clear of a choice as it turned out to be. Keatts won last year, it should've been no surprise this year that he's a good coach. Can't argue about finishing first with the preseason #6 team, again J have no problem with that, but there are other sides to the argument. UNCW finished tied for first last year, and had the same result this year. They had the chance to lock up being all alone in first place, and couldn't. Looking at Hofstra from the same angle, we finished 5th last year, being on the outside looking in at the 4 teams who finished first. JAM then took that team and found a way to make them get better and improve to the point where they finished tied for first this year. So based on that, JAM did a better coaching job since there was more improvement in the past year.
The CAA video said part of the reason Keatts won is because UNCW won a school record number of games. That shouldn't matter since they had 0 good wins in the OOC. The only top-100 teams they beat are conference teams because most of the OOC teams werecupcakes. The bear team they played was Geeogetown, and the lost that game. Several CAA teams are ranked higher than Gerogetown. I strongly believe that a high number of wins doesn't mean much if it's packed with all cupcakes. Meanwhile, we beat Florida State at a neutral site and Saint Bonaventure at their place, and SBU is good enough that they could be in the conversation for an at-large bid year.
It also good coaching that we had 2 all-conference first teamers and one on the second team. They were good players to being with, but they developed into all- conference players because of good coaching. Conisidering we were the only school with 2 on the first-team, that's another reason JAM could have won.
Another thing, as was already mentioned in this thread, the preseason expectations were set with the plan of having Djambo and Nichols for the entire season, and potentially even having Robinson, I don't know if the other coaches knew about the redshirt then they did the preseason voting. Hofstra was able to fight through the adversity of not having those players, and still finished first in the season when the conference was ranked the highest it's ever been.

Again, not trying to knock Keatts here, he again proved that he's a very good coach, but I'm surprised that the voting wasn't closer. Maybe it'll mean JAM will l have a chip on his shoulder during the tournament .
It'll also be interesting to see how long Keatts stays at UNCW. He could be plucked by a bigger school at any time, although I wouldn't be surprised if stays put until the whole Louisville situation settles down, since he was the recruiting coordinator there for most of the time the violations occurred. That may deter other schools from hiring him, unless his name is completely cleared of any allegations, which it hasn't been yet.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Btw, it's nice to see how humble and honored are players are over their achievements on twitter. All 3 seem very gracious for their awards, and are hungry to back them up with a ring.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Really happy for the HU contingent receiving awards.

Seems kind of clear that JG is "the man" this year, and appears that RG will be "the man" that carries next years team. Hope he follows in JG footsteps an is POY next year.

I am very excited for this weekend, but I must say that I am also excited for the next few years of HU basketball. We will have a talented group of players that will only get better with a few more recruits on the way. I do not see next year as a rebuilding year. I think HU will be a formidable team next year!

Go Pride - Beat/bury either Drexel or Elon!
garyg

Post by garyg »

i agree with you Cards...if we can add 2 or 3 quality recruits up front we will be ready to rok & roll next season as well....making the Big Dance would help us big time on the recruiting front
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote: UNCW finished tied for first last year, and had the same result this year. They had the chance to lock up being all alone in first place, and couldn't. Looking at Hofstra from the same angle, we finished 5th last year, being on the outside looking in at the 4 teams who finished first. JAM then took that team and found a way to make them get better and improve to the point where they finished tied for first this year. So based on that, JAM did a better coaching job since there was more improvement in the past year.
That's a very interesting take on it -- going off of last year and seeing the growth for HU to this year -- and it's probably the best argument for JAM wining COY. That takem made me think twice about it, but then again, the teams weren't exactly the same as last year, though similar (especially for HU, less so for UNCW). So, in that regard, I still think it comes down to expectations vs. actual results. It's just sort of bad luck for JAM in that regard. When you're picked first, there's no huge way you can exceed expectations (although he did to a degree, leading them to 1st place without Nichols) vs. being picked 6th and having the same result. What's expected in the beginning factors in as much as what you ultimately achieved. And think simply because Keatts had farther to travel from preseason expectations to achieve the same as JAM, is why I (and the voters) thought he should be COY. You do make a pretty sound case for JAM though. I am sure this won't he his last time in the running for COY with HU though.
ProudofPride wrote: The CAA video said part of the reason Keatts won is because UNCW won a school record number of games. That shouldn't matter since they had 0 good wins in the OOC.
This part I completely agree with. What the school did or didn't do in the past shouldn't be a factor on this year, which should be taken on its own. I know that might contradict me agreeing with you on the notion above, but I think that type of comparison is a lot more relevant with regard to COY voting than UNCW winning more games that it had ever won before.

p.s. I am on the bus right now and starting to get excited to get another taste of March Madness in person in a few hours! Such a different feel this year with Hofstra going in as the team to beat for once instead of simply wondering and hoping HU could knock off a couple or a few favorites.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Jojogunne wrote: Congratulations to our winners. Gustys made the defensive and academic teams as well as first team:

http://www.gohofstra.com/documents/2016 ... CAAMBB.pdf

Interesting, I don't recall seeing the breakdown of all the votes in past years. Koon received 13 points and Bernardi 1.
I don't remember getting the voting points directly from the CAA before, but the blog at www.caahoops.com (formerly done by author Michael Litos) used to have the voting points.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Just a note - as of today, RG has moved into the 2nd spot nationally for NCAA D1 rebounding. Very impressive!
Polito

Post by Polito »

that's BIG TIME impressive - congrats RG!!

VERY excited to witness his continued rise at HU - big things on the horizon for him - love to see him help lead this team to MSG this postseason!